• Page:

TOPIC: Refinishing a '57 Bigtwin

Refinishing a '57 Bigtwin 13 years 2 days ago #29725

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am wanting to totally redo my '57 Bigtwin. Does anyone have a good source or opinion on the best paint to use for this? I also read about vinyl decals and water slide decal. What will lay the best and look the best? I am not afraid to "over restore" as I just like to make it the best it can be. Of course new medallions will be needed as well. The old Wolverine is just begging for this motor! Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Refinishing a '57 Bigtwin 13 years 1 day ago #29767

Hey these guy will help you with any questions you might have on that motor That is all they do is restor, work and play with old motors. They can tell you were to get parts and anything else you might need for it. Ask all the questiong you need even if you think its a dumb one.Its only dumb if you dont ask. The is were I stared aksing when I got my first old motor and have about 40 of them now.

www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember

Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Refinishing a '57 Bigtwin 12 years 11 months ago #29993

Come join the club (AOMCI)

Best place to get paint is
www.nymarine.ca/

As for decals water slide like what came on the motor :)

www.americanoutboard.com/decals/index.html

Or for vinyl :(

www.nymarine.ca/

I am restoring 2 57 bigtwins right now and have 3 Javelins and 2 RDE-19 in the waiting Some of the motors are not need of much work...just me loving to break them down all the way and check them all the way through

CAVU

Re:Refinishing a '57 Bigtwin 12 years 11 months ago #30032

Welcome aboard Dave, I agree with Tall Texan about using Peter's paint, it is the best, period. However I disagree about the water slide decals they are a huge pain in the A$$ to apply (they rip, get wrinkles, and don't always adhere properly) and the vinyl ones Peter makes have perfect colour, exact fonts, are very forgiving to install and so thin that unless you are mere inches from the motor you will never tell the difference. Check out his website for just about any restoration part you may need you won't be disappointed.
Al

Re:Refinishing a '57 Bigtwin 12 years 11 months ago #30090

Must have something to do with the GREAT water we have down here in TX

I have never had a problem with water slide decals. I have put them on curved , flats, and around edges.
Got a set on a airplane prop that is a compound curve and the are still there after many hrs of spinning at 2350+ RPM

I just love the smoothness that they look and after being over coated they look as part of the paint and was what Evinrude used

But to each their own..

What ever you use over coat the with a clear coat

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6169 guests and one member online