Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Coil

Coil 13 years 2 weeks ago #29002

Okay I was out on the water Saturday and engine just died. Would not start no spart at all. Got it home and I pull cover to find oil on engine under coil. I pull the coil wire and it is all oily inside. The only place there is oil on the engine is below the coil. So my question is do the coils have a fluid in them that could leak out and cause them to go bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Coil 13 years 2 weeks ago #29025

Yes , some coils are oil filled to help in keeping the magnet wire in them cool.
This then keeps the coil from shorting ( wire to wire ) and it will live longer.

Re: Coil 13 years 2 weeks ago #29071

Thanks I ordered a new one off ebay for 78.00, guess a coil is not just a coil.

Re: Coil 13 years 2 weeks ago #29075

Coils are wound with " magnet wire " not just bare wire..
The wire has a thin coating of insulating material to keep the wire from shorting out.----Of course they can be made to what ever specification is ordered.---As in good insulation and " better " insulation.

Re:Coil 13 years 2 weeks ago #29356

you said you ordered coils but you never said what motor you have. The only coils I know on outboard motor have oil in them are exturier kind the look like car coils. Now if up pull the maga plate and look at the top crank seal I bet that is leaking. I had and Evinrude 40hp the that was the problem. The oil will come up past the seal and get slung out on to the coils plus get on the points and they will stop making contact.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
Ps
hope this helps

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7300 guests and no members online