Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Charging 16+ Volts!

Charging 16+ Volts! 13 years 5 months ago #18042

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
The 1973 Johnson 115 V4 in my Glastron charges the battery to 16+ volts (that's as high as my voltmeter goes) shortly after being started. The meter appears to be correct (it's almost brand new, just installed this spring), shows 12 to 12.5 before starting the motor. I just wonder is this normal, and will the battery be damaged by charging this high?

I don't have any electrical accessories other than the normal navigation lights and a spot light. When you turn on all the lights, the meter drops to around 14Volts, which is about where I thought most 12V systems should run all the time. Any thoughts? Do I need to install some sort of voltage regulator to keep it down? (I'm running a group 27 deep cycle marine battery, but don't want to blow it up!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Charging 16+ Volts! 13 years 5 months ago #18087

That sounds pretty normal to me. Most of those old AC charging systems are unregulated so they'll charge at what they charge...

Re:Charging 16+ Volts! 13 years 5 months ago #18088

• MarkS
Thanks Scott, I figured as much. (Just wanted to double check it with you guys who know.) Better too much charge than not enough I guess. 'Preciate the response. ;)

Mark

Re:Charging 16+ Volts! 13 years 5 months ago #18610

Mark,

Does the battery show signs of boiling out the electrolyte? (wet around the fill holes, bloated case, rotten egg smell)

16 volts might be enouth to do this in some cases. If your engine doesn't have a regulator, you can install one from a later engine. I'd have to see the wiring diagrams to figure out how it would be connected. If the battery doesn't show signs of problems, probably no need to mess with it.

Re:Charging 16+ Volts! 13 years 5 months ago #18611

• MarkS
No bulges or boiling over Bruce, it just worries me to see that much of a charge going into a 12V Battery. Old school thought patterns I guess, probably should adhere to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule? It's just that the battery is mounted right next to the gas tank, and if it ever does go boom, it's gonna be a big one! Maybe I just worry too much.

Mark

Re:Charging 16+ Volts! 13 years 5 months ago #18657

If you check on most of the newer cars they charge up to 18 volts. If it was getting high amps at 16 volts it would be boiling over. If I remember right those genarators only put out 3 or 4 amp at most. just enought to maintain your battrie if you don't run it down. I have and amp meter the goes over the battrie cable to check out amps.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 18011 guests and one member online