• Page:

TOPIC: Proper Oiling for a '86 30hp Johnson

Proper Oiling for a '86 30hp Johnson 13 years 5 months ago #18026

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Last night after a very long search, I brought home the wood boat of my dreams, a 14ft, '58 Wolverine Plylap. It is powered by a '86 30hp. Johnson. The fuel tank with it, is a tank with an oil tank in it that is to meter the oil out at 100-1. I am not impressed with this and feel I want to use a different tank that is single fuel line and just pre-mix the fuel. What mix should I use? The seller says there is way less than 100 hrs. on the motor since he bought it new and it looks like it, actually so does the boat, almost. His Grandpa bought it the rig new in '58 and I have the very original bill of sale with all the things that came with the rig. It was originally powered with a Elgin 30hp. But back to the Johnson, what is the best way to run this motor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Proper Oiling for a '86 30hp Johnson 13 years 5 months ago #18027

Hi Dave,
You are right to not be impressed with the oil tank within the tank. They did away with them and offered either a replacement tank or a bolt-on fitting that replaced the oil tank apparatus to allow a straight pre-mix. Also, OMC sent out a service bulletin doing away with the 100:1 mix and reverting to the previous 50:1 recommendation.
At this late date, finding the fitting for your existing tank is probably not doable, so finding a replacement tank is the route to go. Mix your fuel at 50:1 using good oil and 87 or 89 octane fuel and you should be good to go!
- Scott

Re:Proper Oiling for a '86 30hp Johnson 13 years 5 months ago #18036

If at all possable to find the fitting you might try here. Post and add it's free. These guys deal in anything old for outboad motors.
Dont even think of runnning that motor on 100 to 1 50 to 1 is what is called for.
www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Webvertize
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Proper Oiling for a '86 30hp Johnson 13 years 5 months ago #18044

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the responses. I have a 6gal tank for my '68 6hp that will work, I hope. I may just leave the other tank as a collectors item and mark it as such. As far as oil, is the Pennzoil synthetic a good oil?

Re:Proper Oiling for a '86 30hp Johnson 13 years 5 months ago #18086

That should be more than good but I use the WalMart 2cyc oil and a lot cheeper. Never had a problem with it.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8903 guests and 3 members online