Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild

Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #17574

Rather than post a bunch of one off messages to the board - I'll start this thread and update it from time to time.

I pulled a 1954 Fastwin 15hp off a pile of scrap engines at the local scrap yard. It's very complete, but also very stuck.

The cowl was full of nesting debris, as was the top cylinder and it's exhaust port. Heres why she's stuck...

Took the intake Manifold off today. This shows you why even if you get a stuck motor unstuck, it's sometimes best to just rebuild it. Imagine if I tried to start it with this junk in the intake.

I am working slowly and carefully, but alas, one head bolt and two exhaust jacket bolts broke off in the block after heat, PBblaster soaks, etc. I may be able yet to extract them....will wait to see what the rest of the block looks like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #17884

Progress so far. Pretty much everything off the block. Two broken head bolts, two broken exhaust jacket screws. Next opportunity I'll take her out side so I can use heat on the bolts that hold the block to the leg. Was using heat on all the other bolts in the shop and I think I poisoned myself from the fumes.....duh.

Lots of pictures and written notes so I can reassemble some day.

Got the Eska running ....

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #17909

from the look of the stuff in the cyc I would say that motor might have been under water for a while. I picked up motor out of the dump and one cyc was full of water and rust. Then after looking it over I could see a film of dirt all over it from being under water. I did get it unstuck after filling that cyc full of kerosen. Then put some fuel down that cyc and carb and turn it over a bunch of times to get fuel and lub to everything. pulled the carb and cleaned it. Then took compression check on it and was 90lbs so what the heck hooked up fuel line and pulled her over a few time and she fired right up let it run for about 15mins and took compression and it was up to 110lbs. Ran the motor trolling for one summer with out a problem.
You get luck some times
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #17943

Any suggestions on getting this head bolt out? There is one more broken off as well. it's all the way down in it's head bolt hole, jjjjussst enough of it left to prevent me from knocking the head sideways to spin it on the snapped bolt pictured here.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #17956

Work on the deeper one FIRST.. The head will act as a sleeve-to guide a drill bit to the exact center of the broken bolt.

Once you drill enough to establish a good "center" you can drop your bit-size to slightly smaller than the threads-so you can use an "EZ-out" to remove the stud.
I actually like to use a CHEAP drill bit.. one that is dull. It will heat the stud as it drills- to help break the dis-similar metal corrosion.

Either way- it will be difficult to remove these bolts.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18004

I have SOOO much to do around my house, yet I continue to spend the few available hours of the day disassembling a likely dead forever outboard.....and having a blast!

Heat on the slot head bolts that hold the power head to the leg and off popped the power head. In a change of luck, none of them broke, and the splines on the drive shaft were not at all rusted or seized.

Check out the broken bolt extractor. Peachy.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18043

If it would have been me it would have broken inside.

Looking forward seeing to more.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18061

I know, right? I was equally surprised that I was able to extract the extractor with just a little bit of effort.

More to come for sure - either pictures of the block with the head and crank case off, or a still shot of a big splash as I chuck the whole thing in the river....

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18080

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So far, I have had great luck using left hand drills, when removing a broken bolt. That is.......so far.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18089

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Peter wrote:

or a still shot of a big splash as I chuck the whole thing in the river....

I love it! A good sense of humor helps tremendously when dealing with temperamental mechanical contraptions.
DaveK wrote

So far, I have had great luck using left hand drills, when removing a broken bolt. That is.......so far.

I saw a set of those advertised that started out as a drill bit (LH), then turned into an easy-out just up the shaft. Wish I could remember where.

Mark

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18122

I just bought a set of extractors from sears tonight that are essentially just that. It's a left hand drill that turns into an easy out half way up. Haven't tried one yet. Probably saturday. In the meantime I'll try the suggestion from someone in one of the related threads to use a combo of acetone and transmission fluid to release the bolt (al la PB blaster)

Failing all of this, I'm thinking to drill it out all the way down into the head with a slightly undersized bit, then use a tap to clean out the threads.

Even if all of this failed and the block is shot (let's not forget that rusted in piston) I've got everything else to put it back together around a different block, or lots of good parts for ebay. However it goes, it's better than letting that motor go into the furnace

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18215

Well, a new set of bolt extractors (40.00 bucks) and I broke the first one right out of the gate. This after soaking in acetone/tranny fluid mix. So I took a slightly under sized bit and drilled the shank out. As I was getting close to the top of the block (I had marked the drill bit with tape to know when I was close), the head popped lose. Finally!!

Some more pics.

Note the remains of the bolt that was keeping the head on, and the remains of the one that was preventing me from tapping the head around (swiveling it if you will) in an attempt to pop the grip of the shank of the tall bolt.

In the picture with all the parts, that pile of debris in the middle is most of what was in the water channels around the lower cylinder.

With the head off, I'm hoping I can use heat and vice grips to get the short bolt, and heat and an extractor to get the (remains) of the tall one. Currently soaking in liquid wrench.

Next stop, removing bottom of the crank case, whose bolts, thankfully, are all already lose and ready to come out.

Onward!

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18219

I have been on this road....lol, I found that I could send my better half to the store and while shes gone.....I put the block in the oven @400 deg. for 45 min, ALL the bolts came right out and the stuck piston even started moving.........But at the last moment I got in a hurry and used an adjustable pressure wrench (a hammer) and cracked the #2 cyl so my old 33hp fastwin hit the scrapper in the end,I did use the lower and many other parts on pther projects.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18224

The torch and visegrips will make life easier but how are the cly. walls?

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18234

I have a 1956 15hp it will run but compression is only 60lbs. So the power head needs to be rebilt. If you can't find a power head out your way if you have to get one. You could have this one but I'm all the way out in Nevada.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 6 months ago #18264

Mike - thanks for the offer - I may take you up on it. Stay tuned!

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #18478

Pony Boy:
I used your "adjustable pressure wrench" description of a hammer the other day with great success....I needed fresh material

THawk Sr asked about the cylinder walls - actually they look good. Don't know what the walls in the one stuck side will look like after I get the piston out. Hoping I can simply hone the cylinders out to take care of them, new rings (still available believe it or not), and maybe a new piston (found one of those as well).

You know, I suspect that somewhere along the line in this motors life someone took the block apart or attempted to. There are tool marks on one of the "crank case to cylinder screws", which are only accessible if the intake manifold if off, and not all of the crank case bolts had lock washers on them.

I've most all the bolts off this block holding the crank case on (one more to go and am letting that one soak a bit longer) - but there are these two 'taper pins'. Do I just bang these out? And once these are out, whats the best way to split the block apart?

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #18494

Those tapered pins are alinement pins. Should not have to do anything to them. I have used a vary thin putty knife and tap it in between the 2 halfs to gently pry it apart. I know so have other ideas on how to do it. So take your choic after a few chim in.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #18644

Had a few minutes (at last) and so split the block. Used a nail punch and knocked out the taper pins (which was easy) and used a putty knife to split the block, also easy. Here is what I found.

The allen bolts on the rod-to-crank bearings came off easy, but of course the bolts on the bad cylinder are locked up and now soaking. The bearings on the good rod look great.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #18654

I have always enjoyed taking something apart just to have a look see, this thread has satisfied that need.
I thank you, one more thing can be scratched off my list of What do you think the inside looks like?

Cheers from Cow Town

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #18656

I still say it looks like the motor took a dumking and they never tried to get the water out of it. When you got the rods and crank out you can use a 2z4 and big hammer on the piston to try and get it to mover. Once it starts to mover tap it back and forth till you can knock it out. Then will come the fun to see if the cyc is good enough to use.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #18832

Alrighty then! more progress, though towards what I am not sure.

I think your are right Mike. Maybe it got dunked and when they pulled it out, it was set aside and the water pooled in the block. Then, over time, something built it's nest in there.

So, with the right tools I was able to get the rod-to-crank bearing bolts on the bad cylinder free, some tapping and got the bearings out. They are a mess - I cant tell if the crap that is all over the rod and the bearings and the inside if the cylinder under the piston is rust or just gunk that has been caked in over the years.

So note the bearing races on the crank - can I polish this stuff off? How to go about it 9was thinking to just take it to a machine shop, polish the crank, hone the cylinders (assuming I can get the stuck one out)....

here is the good cylinder, which by the way slide right out....

Mind you I have not even wiped these part off with a rag, so maybe not a fair representation of their condition.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #19080

Ok guys - I have everything off the block and the good piston out. I soaked the bad piston, from every direction, in everything from acetone/tranny fluid to PB to liquid wrench. It won't budge. So then I heated the cylinder walls from the inside via the water jacket channels and beat on the piston from the top with a hammer to a wooden block, and a hammer resting on the cylinder top, which I hit with another hammer. Nothing. I was hitting as hard as I dared (but i don't know how hard I can dare). Hard enough that the wood block shattered.

So. Any thoughts on how to get the bad piston out? Last resort will to be to smash it out, with no regard to destroying the piston, or even cracking the cylinder walls.

If I break the bock, it's a parts motor. If I get the piston out, but the cylinder looks too far gone, it's a parts motor. If it comes out and I can hone the cylinder, we'll go from there.

Thoughts?

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #19082

A small amount of dry ice in a baggie which you jam into the back inside of the piston.

Wait 5 minutes and use a bigger hammer.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #19124

If you know of anyone with a hydraulic bench press you can punch the piston out. Support the block well so it doesn't move or damage the head area, press on the con-rod and the piston will come out. I've taken down motors that were stuck at least as bad ad yours and they ALL came out. Some split the piston at the wrist pin, but they still came out.

The crankshaft looks toast - the pitting is pretty bad and will not polish out and be usable. I may have one that will work for you if your parts powerhead doesn't give one up. Also have a block on the shelf, too.

- Scott

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #19511

Had a few minutes last night and decided it was time for that piston to come out. I figured that if it was locked in place so tight that once it comes out, it's is not likely to be usable anyway so not going to fret so much about damaging it or the rod. I'd not risk putting it back in even if I could clean it up nice.

I flipped the block upside down. The ball of my large ball peen hammer fit the race of the rod nicely. I set ball peen on the rod, and hit that with my 5 lb. If the rod split, the block was scrap and time to move on. A few hard hits and the piston flinched. From there it was careful but firm hits, making sure each time the rod was straight up, and I slowly moved it out.

The bad piston cylinder may be serviceable. These pictures are before any clean up. I have a cylinder hone so will hone it out and see what I have (or I'll ruin it trying, since I've never done that before).

This is a fun project, even if I only ever end up selling the parts. Never taken down an engine before.

The "Bad" Cylinder

The Good One

The Piston that Vexed me so

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #19520

I know someone that has a brand new old stock block for that. If you decid to put any money into it.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #19528

I bet the cly. walls can be salvaged.

My reason or guess it that it appears that the bad piston seized on the end of it's stroke.

Run a very, very, very wet hone thru it for about 20 seconds pull it out and see what it say's.

Don't ruin a good hone on a bad block. Just run the hone long enough to give you a good idea of what you have or have not.

May the Hone angel be with you.

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #20271

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
How is the rebuild coming? Now that I am hooked on this episode, I need to know if this motor is a survivor or what!

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #20318

Life has a way of getting in the way of life. Had to divert my attention for a bit.

Actaully, just last night I started taking down the leg and lower. Having learned patience on the top half, I started by finding the stuck bolts and hitting them with PB and LW (liquid wrench). Today I should be a ble to get a look at the condition of the lower. It turns, but not freely.

And actually, I'm hoping to squeeze in a trip to a motor machine shop today to have the guy look at the block and crank for me.

Stay tuned!

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 5 months ago #20354

It is with great sadness that I communicate to you that the block....is dead. Bow your heads.

I took the block and crank to a motor machine shop. Two guys look them over and deeemed the crank no good. As someone said up in the thread, that 'stuff' on the rod race is rust, vs. some sort of deposits from sitting. To turn the races would leave them undersized. Essentially the same issue with the bad cylinder in the block.

So. Mike, aka Pathfinder. Shoot me a note on what your buddy would want for that NOS block

So Scott, aka Chinewalker, shot me a note on what you would want for the block and crank you say you have sitting about.

My email address is in my profile

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20443

He said $90 for the block plus shiping.
He doesn't have a good crank to throw in. I sent you and email but side you were out of the office So if you want it email me or call 7753159021 and I will give you his email and phone number.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20456

Thanks Mike! Saw your e-mail. I found a good used Crank - and a source for the pistons, rods, rings, etc. I'll let you know on the block.

A this point, I'm thinking I'll rebuild it all the way. Then, I'll havea cool evinrude with no boat to run it on. Excellent!

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20460

Ok good I have a small alumimum I run my small motors on and a 10hp on a 10 1/2 footer can be fun. Can get this little boat up to 25mph with my 1950 10hp Johnson.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20541

i dont know guys, pricing parts and gaskets and such and it's getting pricy - I'm up around $300 just to rebuild the power head.....Stay tuned, may be a parts sale coming up

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20762

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Peter
I have a running 1955 Evinrude Fastwin 15.
If you are interested, here are some pics for you.
I got it on a fishing boat I bought and I will never use it.
I resold the boat with a bigger motor.
I am not trying to jump into your thread here to try and be a salesman, I am just trying to help if I can.
I would like to pass this motor on to someone who knows what it is and can use it.
Thank you.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20851

Greetings Neil,

I too don't have a need for a small Outboard. This rebuiuld was an unexpected project just for fun. Your's looks complete, and if she's a runner I'd not want to take it apart to resurrect mine. So I'll pass on it.

The ideal find for me would be a separated power head that I could re-ring and then build mine back up. If I did, THEN I might go as far as to build a small wooden boat (another of my want-to-do-projects) for it.

Silly, perahps. But fun.

Thanks!

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #20853

Well if you have crank and pistons and rods my friend still have the NOS block.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 4 months ago #21116

Well, I have a source of all new parts that I could build a whole new powerhead (using the NOS block you mention). But, that's more expense than I want to spend on this project, so I think I will back burner it for awhile.

But, here's a question for you....will a 25hp block fit in place of the 15hp?

Re:Scrape Pile Evinrude Rebuild 13 years 2 months ago #26133

Sourced a complete powerhead from a 1954 15hp which is on it's way. So more to come on this thread!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)