Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Controls will work with my 1966 Starflite 100

What Controls will work with my 1966 Starflite 100 13 years 6 months ago #16850

I have a 1966 Starflite 100 mounted on a a 1968 Fabuglas Seagull. The throttle/shift controls work but it's just a matter of time before either the cracked throttle lever breaks all the way or the shift buttons shatter after years out in the weather.

Boats a new animal to me so I don't know much about replacement parts. I'm not worried about staying original, but I do want good quality parts that will function properly. What should I look for and where can I find a good set of controls for this motor?

And I assume the big How To Winterize Your Outboard thread has already been hashed out, so if someone could shoot me a link I'd appreciate it. My brief search didn't turn up anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What Controls will work with my 1966 Starflite 100 13 years 6 months ago #16870

I believe any of the Selectric shifters back to 1960 will work with your engine and wiring harness.
What does your current plug from the shifter to the harness look like? If it is a white, rectangular 4-prong plug (but only 3-wires: Black, Green, Blue... though the black could be faded to dark blue)then I'm sure the earlier shifters will work too.

BTW- I have a very nice Selectric Shifter with throttle cable from a 1963 75HP Evinrude. I think the cable is 13'. It fit well on the 16' Starcraft Polara.
I don't know if you know that these shifters can be used on either side of the boat. The front and back covers are reversible to accommodate this.

There's also a shifter in the Glassifieds section...
Attachments:

Re:What Controls will work with my 1966 Starflite 13 years 6 months ago #16924

69Fabuglas wrote:

...What does your current plug from the shifter to the harness look like? If it is a white, rectangular 4-prong plug (but only 3-wires: Black, Green, Blue...

It is rectangular with 3 wires in a 4 wire plug.

I think I would rather find a current production shifter, even if it's not original in appearance. It's mainly the plastic components that worry me, the shifter buttons in particular.

Re:What Controls will work with my 1966 Starflite 13 years 6 months ago #16942

Current production ?????
If available they would be pricey.
Used parts are available and some of that old stuff was very durable.

Re:What Controls will work with my 1966 Starflite 13 years 6 months ago #16946

professor wrote:

Current production ?????

If available they would be pricey.
Used parts are available and some of that old stuff was very durable.

Yeah, maybe that's where my being new to boats starts to show a little. With old motorcycles there is a low cost aftermarket replacement for just about any of the commonly replaced parts.

I will need to replace my current controller, the throttle lever is cracked about halfway through and it could be exciting if it picks the wrong time to go the rest of the way. Open to ideas.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6993 guests and 2 members online