Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP

1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15932

I have a 1966 evinrude starflite 100-S and I am having trouble getting the starter to fully engage. It seems as if when I turn the key the starter gear moves up the screw rod and is kept from going going any higher by a 1/4" metal bushing on top of the gear(like would be used to stop the gear from hitting the top of the bell around the bendix) my question is, is there any way to either raise the starter so it does not have to move as far. Or is there some way to adjust it so tha it can engage more and keep it from grinding the starter gear on the fly wheel gear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15940

Got pics?

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15949

in this image you can see how far the gear raises when it is engaged. (the bolt on top of the bell does not rise, just the gear inside the bell) and in this one you can see how far down it is when it is disengaged. i think that the entire starter needs to be raised so that it will catch on the flywheel more. i am not sure but that is why i am asking for help on here.
Attachments:

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15952

Something is missing in your starte if the shaft sticks up that high or you can pull it up that high. Here is a braak down of the starter so maybe you can take it apart and check it out.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
Attachments:

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15957

Yeah, I'm with pathfinder. There's something(s) missing! No way that should have so much play there.

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15967

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I think you will find that the "pinion stop" bushing item number 19 is missing or is under the pinion gear!

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #15972

I believe that the pinion stop is in place. There is a bushing about .45" thick and just a little smaller then the gear. and I don't know much but if that was missing wouldn't that allow the gear to go up farther? If so that would not be my problem, bc my problem is that it is not going high enough

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #16026

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The starter motor does not need to be raised Sparky, it's positioned right where it's supposed to be. After checking to make sure all your connections are clean and tight, I would pull the starter off the motor and check the operation of the drive (gear). Move it manually and see if it slides up freely, there may be a bad spot on the shaft. If it does move freely to the extent of it's intended travel, shoot the juice to it and make sure it's spinning hard enough to engage the drive gear fully under it's own power. The condition of the gear teeth should also be inspected, as should the bushings and brushes in the starter. If the electric motor isn't operating up to par, it may not be spinning hard/fast enough to send the drive up into position.

Mark

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #16030

• mgbbob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would agree. Check the electric end of things.

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #16038

Thanks guys for all your great suggestions, in the process of taking to starter off I found that the lower bracket that the 2 long bolts go threw was not tight agenst the block, and also found that the small bolt holding the upper ell to the block was missing, (mind you this boat and engine was givin to me) allowing the starter to tilt away from the engine. Once again thank your for the help and I will be sure to come here for my further help as this project continues.

Re:1966 evinrude starflite starter issue, PLEASE HELP 13 years 7 months ago #16055

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
That was my thought too. Weak battery or bad connections might not let it engage fully.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7541 guests and no members online