TOPIC: 71 Evenrude is stuck

71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #14644

• mgbbob
  • mgbbob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
HI folks,

I have a 65 15' glass boat (unknown manufacturer) with a 85 HP Evenrude that needs help. It is for sale but if it doesn't sell then maybe I will try to get it running.

I pulled the boat from my family lake site in 1995 when the property sold. I left it outside for the winter covered. A hail storm destoryed the cover and when I went to check on the boat it had been exposed to the weather for several months.

I pulled the spark plugs, oiled the cyclinders and had no luck. The motor seems firmly stuck. Someone told me it might be the water pump.

Any ideas? If I need parts are there sources?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #14646

Greetings sir - check the thread "My civic duty fllfilled". There is alot of discussion towards the end about unsticking the '54 15HP I pulled off a scrap pile.

My suggestion here is to position the motor such that the spark holes are a verticle as possible. Squirt a healthy ration of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench into each cylnder. Let it sit for awhile. Then a strap wrench around the fly wheel and see if you can break it free.

Re:71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #14655

My feeling is that any stuck motor worth saving is worth saving right - tear it down. Even if you manage to free it up without taking it apart you risk blowing up the motor if you have any rusted bearings inside.

Re:71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #14659

Chinewalker wrote:

My feeling is that any stuck motor worth saving is worth saving right - tear it down. Even if you manage to free it up without taking it apart you risk blowing up the motor if you have any rusted bearings inside.

I concur.. however, An "unstuck" motor is very much easier to disassemble than one that is stuck. Try to get her broke free.. then disassemble.

Re:71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #14967

• mgbbob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok guys. I have tools, a manual, some experience and lots of doubts. I plan on starting this weekend by resoaking the cyclinders and try to pop it loose. I will plan on removing the motor from the boat for work this winter. Here goes nothing.

Re:71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #14986

69Fabuglas wrote:

Chinewalker wrote:

I concur.. however, An "unstuck" motor is very much easier to disassemble than one that is stuck. Try to get her broke free.. then disassemble.

I disagree - if a bearing is where the "stuck" is, then you've freed it up as soon as you remove the crankshaft. If it's a piston that's stuck, it is much easier to press it out with a press from the crankcase side than it is to hammer on it with a block of wood. I've pulled down more stuck motors than most - done it both ways. Tearing it apart first is flat out easier by a long shot... plus you have much less risk of damaging something in the process.

Re:71 Evenrude is stuck 13 years 7 months ago #15005

• mgbbob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I was thinking about trying another round of penetrating oil this weekend but if the right solution is disassembly then I would think the next step is to pull the motor.

I was thinking of mounting the motor on a stand in the garage and placing the boat outside covered up for the duration.

I have an automotive engine stand that I thought might be adaptable. I can build a stand if necessary. Any good ideas?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8184 guests and 2 members online