• Page:

TOPIC: Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 2 months 3 weeks ago #142120

• DLB68
  • DLB68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1972 Johnson Model 65ESL72S . It id not equipped for power trim , it has the hole markings , but the holes in the swivel bracket are not drilled through. How can I go about adding this option to this engine .?. I have found a few $$$ WORM drive units but I am unsure if that is usable on a 72 . I have a few Mercury trim units , But they Just WON'T Work on the JohnnyRude ... And Yes I am Always Looking for another Arkansas Traveler ... The engine pictured is not MINE ! Just a reference that I have used ...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 2 months 3 weeks ago #142146

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 127
Sorry to be late to the party. I don't think there was actually a TRIM and tilt unit for '72. There is a bolt on tilt unit but I don't know if you can trim out under power with it. I have a TILT unit on my ''76 Johnson that I can share pictures if you want.
couple of options; If you can find an old junk motor with tilt just pull the swap. Sounds far fetched because the tilt for '72 was an option that I suspect not too many people chose.
Craigslist or eBay might have a unit to fit your 72.
Here's a snapshot of the unit for the '72 65hp mounting. Check it out and see if the holes you mention are in the right place.
Hope this helps somewhat.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1972&model=Electrical+1972§ion=Power+Tilt+Kit+65+Hp+Models&yid=34239&mid=34240&sid=35522

Anything on eBay is more expensive than a used motor.
You can try this guy. He has acres of used motors that he parts out.
greenbayprop.com/

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 2 months 3 weeks ago #142148

• DLB68
  • DLB68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I find it funny that Mercury had this available on many models. During the 60s most larger models had the option as a standard... Mercury also uses the tilt tube style steering assembly yet Others hung on to the old cable / pulley style steering..

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 2 months 2 weeks ago #142183

• DPA
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Power tilt was a factory kit accessory in 1972. Power trim was first available in 1973, again as a factory kit accessory but not compatible with the 1972 models as far as I know. If you're looking for tilt only, you might be able to find used parts. Here is a photo of the kit option from the 1972 brochure.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FiberGoogle

Quick Search

Who's Online

We have 6078 guests and 4 members online