• Page:

TOPIC: Value of Evinrude 85?

Value of Evinrude 85? 6 years 3 months ago #135177

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Everybody knows that I know just about zero when it comes to outboards. I have a chance to buy this motor with the controls. It runs great and looks to be a short shaft but I don't know anything about it other than it's rated at 85 HP. This is the only photo I have.
Anybody know the model, age and what it's worth? Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Value of Evinrude 85? 6 years 3 months ago #135178

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm thinking 1978 based on the cowl decals. Hope this link works. issuu.com/liquidnirvana/docs/1978---evinrude-outboards--x---wm- BTW- those were 20 or 25 inch shaft motors.

Value of Evinrude 85? 6 years 3 months ago #135179

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
OH Geeeeez. Jan looking at an eggbeater??
From the cover it looks like a 1978 year. If you are around it anywhere the model number will be on the motor mount that clamps onto the transom port side facing out. (water side).
She's a torquie sob that you can stick a pretty aggressive prop on. 50:1 fuel mix and lots of it if run wot but reasonable when cruising.
Parts are cheap...relative term, on line at marineengine.com
I've had a couple of 'em over the years and if they were taken care of they are workhorses. I would do a wet Oil in cylinder check compression. If all four are within 10%, 95psi is the lowest I would go, 110 - 120psi is great and you're good but one bad cylinder and you'll stick more $$ into it than it's worth.
Price..... good running condition $4/500. Goosesh..t in the lower unit would drop it to maybe $300 cuz the seals would need to be replaced. If it's got tilt/trim add another $100 because that unit itself is worth the cost of the entire motor if you have to dump it. If you're talking the entire unit with working controls and ignition etc then top out at $650 - $700 max.
DISCLAIMER.,,,,,,I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT I JUST WROTE:evil:

Value of Evinrude 85? 6 years 3 months ago #135180

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Yeah...I might have to break down and buy an outboard. I found a boat that needs one. I can get that motor for $100 so I guess I'll go ahead and buy it and hope for the best. When it comes to outboards, I'm Mr. Bean. Maybe it's time I had some luck with one. Thanks for the info, Cal...even with the disclaimer.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Value of Evinrude 85? 6 years 3 months ago #135187

• ed-mc
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113

Nautilus wrote: Yeah...I might have to break down and buy an outboard. I found a boat that needs one. I can get that motor for $100 so I guess I'll go ahead and buy it and hope for the best. When it comes to outboards, I'm Mr. Bean. Maybe it's time I had some luck with one. Thanks for the info, Cal...even with the disclaimer.

The parts are worth more than $100, definitely a no-brainer!!

The 85hp V4 is a decent motor, if you get it be sure to check compression before putting a lot of $$ into it. Milky oil in the gearcase would most likely be a driveshaft oil seal, a relatively easy job and you'd be tearing it down anyway to install a new impeller before putting it in service.

Post some more pics when you get 'er home. Cheers........ed

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5619 guests and one member online