Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133458

Water is coming out where lower unit bolts to leg. It is spraying out with gusto. It spits out a little bit of water from upper exhaust holes. What did I do wrong? I did have apart to reseal. Or is this normal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133477

I have decided to replace thermostat and look at pressure relief valve.

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133479

Dave; Johnson didn't build a 55hp till 1976 unless it is a 3 cylinder? Then it is a 1968 or '69? Here is a picture of parts for two cylinder thermostat, grommet, & seat at the bottom of the cylinder head.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1976&hp=55&model=55EL76E&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Cylinder+%26amp%3B+Crankcase

If it is the older 3 cylinder model then here is the picture of the parts at the top of the cylinder head. Just a seal & thermostat of a newer design.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1968&hp=55&model=TRL-10R&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Powerhead+Group

Some shooting out of water at the parting line of the gearcase is normal.

Dan in TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave the Wave

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133481

Thanks. My power head is 1977. I wonder if my lower unit is a different year. My infared thermometer is missing so I dont have an accurate measurement. Head temp felt hot. Or hotter than I remember. Not really knowing...I think the thermostat is not opening properly. Kind of amazes me how a forty year old boat engine can run as well as this one.

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133482

Thanks for link. It made ordering parts very easy.

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133486

You can't have a '74 gearcase on your motor.( 3/4" diameter driveshaft). It would shift backwards. Look at the type gearcase on a '74. It is hydro-mechanical. Has a oil pump which the '77 does not have. I also believe I remember your '77 having the smaller diameter driveshaft (1/2" app?) by then. Not sure about that, but I believe that happened in '75 with the last 50hp? You will notice your gearcase has an Archimedes screw which brings the oil to the top bearing of the driveshaft.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1977&hp=55&model=55EL77D&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Cylinder+%26amp%3B+Crankcase

It is important that you decide what you have before ordering parts. Everything is different. Your '77 has a poppet valve & grommet seat that will surely need replacement. Be sure to get one while ordering parts.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1977&hp=55&model=55EL77D&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Cylinder+%26amp%3B+Crankcase

Reference #s 12,13,14 are thermostat, seal & grommet. I would be sure to replace those. Check poppet & spring. Occasional a spring will break.

Dan in TN

1974 Johnson 55 H2O squirt help 1 year 2 months ago #133498

Thanks for link. It made ordering parts very easy. I boiled the thermostat and it was bad in closed position. Now waiting for gasket and parts.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

WTB Tomahawk Boat Parts
( / Wanted)

noimage
10-13-2018