• Page:

TOPIC: '65 60hp thermostat

'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130343

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Finally got to turn over my Evinrude 60hp and was not getting any water circulation. I did put in a new impeller two months ago. Started it up today and just for drill was feeling the cylinder walls because there was no exhaust water. Started getting pretty warm so I shut it down. Took the whole lower off to make sure the impeller was correct,,,,it was. took apart the thermostat only to find out that the PO gutted it. NOTHING but a straight shot.
Would this prevent the water from circulating into the block? Anyone have an old one they want to part with, even just the guts.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130346

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
With everything gone, water will likely just go out the exhaust relief ports with none getting to the powerhead.

Be sure you get the plastic check valve/Vernatherm valve along with their springs, besides the Vernatherm thermostat.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1964&hp=60&model=60432S&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=Exhaust+Tube+Group

HTH...........ed
Attachments:

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130348

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Ed. I knew something was not right so I asked the experts here. I've got an inquiry out to an online marina who has the entire rebuild kit. I see some on ebay but am not quite sure exactly what I need. I did look at the marineengine parts list and one of the part is no longer avail, that's when I started looking elsewhere. Some of the kits are aroune $20-$25. free shipping. Lake Michigan is still frozen over so I have some time yet :laugh:

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130353

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentAt eBay:

Vernatherm spring:

Misc parts which include the 2 plastic valves and the 305587 check valve spring, which is pretty scarce:

Check Valve:

www.ebay.com/dsc/Boat-Parts/26443/i.html?_vxp=mtr&_from=R40&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=305654&_sop=15

Vernatherm Valve:

www.ebay.com/dsc/Boat-Parts/26443/i.html?_vxp=mtr&_from=R40&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=308070&_sop=15

Vernatherm:

www.ebay.com/dsc/Boat-Parts/26443/i.html?_sop=15&_vxp=mtr&_from=R40&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=377276&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_osacat=26443&_odkw=308070

HTH.........ed

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130354

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Tell me what you think of this. Looks like it has everything I need. Place is fairly local also (Milwaukee)

This is why the parts are not quite needed yet :laugh:

Photo from 2-14-17 ice!
Attachments:

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130364

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That 0434067 'stat kit fits later-model 6hp & 8hp motors, not gonna work for ya.

And BRRRRRR!!! That looks very cold! We had some cold weather here in the PNW this winter,

it was down to 15.5 deg F one night, but I don't think it compares to the Great Lakes area!!!

Our small lake was frozen over for several weeks but not to the point where you could walk on it.

Better turn that V4 into an ice-racer!!

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 2 months ago #130365

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's a c u t and paste from the ad. I'll just have to take my chances. If not there will be others.
JOHNSON/EVINRUDE OUTBOARD THERMOSTAT

REPLACES JOHNSON/EVINRUDE

T-STAT # 436195

FITS: 5 HP THRU 60 HP 1959- 94

150 HP THRU 235 HP 1978-91

JOHNSON/EVINRUDE MODELS

•FITS 1993 MOTORS

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 1 month ago #130379

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ed, gulp---you were right, mia-culpa. I ordered the part and it was wrong but the seller was gracious enough to take it back. So I stayed local which I should have done in the first place. Two miles north of me is Green Bay Propeller greenbayprop.com/We're good friends and known each other for many years. Joe let me out in the bone yard with a screwdriver and I picked a complete thermostat from an old Johnson meteor. Perfect and everything was complete. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for old parts of any brand. No one will get the deal that I did :laugh: but they have a bone yard with just about everything you could imagine. Their website doesn't cover a fraction of what they have.
Attachments:

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 1 month ago #130384

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Very cool! Always nice to find a good parts motor with the stuff you need at a bargain price!

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 1 month ago #130385

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HooooBoy, if it ain't one thing it's another. Ran the motor and the cooling problem is solved. Then it stopped and I had to keep pumping the fuel bulb to keep it running so we know the fuel pump is bad. It was dripping from the bottom so I figured the diaphragm was bad. Opened it up to find the usual worn out rubber but also missing were the caps that go oover the springs. Wore a hole in the diaphragm. Something about the PO tells me he kept losing a bunch of parts during his "repairs" :laugh: Ordered everything I needed from marineengine.com so I should be good to go by the end of next week...hopefully. After what else could possibly go wrong :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 1 month ago #130392

Cal,

Had the same issue with the 100 hp Meteor when I got it. Previous owner took all of the innards out of the thermostat and it will not function without them as you discovered. Glad you found some donor motors close by.

Paul

Re:'65 60hp thermostat 7 years 1 month ago #130396

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good to hear from you Paul. Any pictures of your progress on the Lone Star?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6204 guests and 2 members online