Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie Golden Meteor electrical question

Newbie Golden Meteor electrical question 7 years 6 months ago #127609

My Johnson Golden Meteor stranded me for the first time this past weekend but it wasn't a mechanical problem. The battery, bought new in July, didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over. Another boater gave me a jump it it started right up. I noticed once it was running that the amp meter was in the negative, even when I was running full throttle. Later in the day, it started perfectly once, then failed to turn the engine over the next time. My question is, should a Golden Meteor be able to charge my battery when running, or should I be manually charging my battery every time I bring the boat home from the lake? I have run it most weekends since I bought it in late July and never had this problem. Did it only last this long because the battery was new or do I have an electrical problem that is keeping the engine from charging the battery?

Thanks,
Newbie Vintage Boater

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1964 Crownline Count

Re:Newbie Golden Meteor electrical question 7 years 6 months ago #127610

if you have a meter you can check the voltage while it is running. Check the voltage before you start it. if it is charging the meter should read more than that when it is running. check at greater than idle speed. if it is less then it is not charging. could be rectifier died on you recently to explain recent change.

Re:Newbie Golden Meteor electrical question 7 years 6 months ago #127611

I think he answered the question regarding if it's charging or not; Dead battery & ammeter showing a discharge.

Does your motor have a belt driving a generator or not? No generator & you will need to charge the battery periodically. Electric shift engines came with a generator standard, but truthfully, I don't know which model yours is.

Re:Newbie Golden Meteor electrical question 7 years 6 months ago #127689

It is not charging. But. still in question is if it is because of charging system or bad connections or bad battery. bad battery is not as likely since he replaced it. still could be bad battery.

Re:Newbie Golden Meteor electrical question 7 years 6 months ago #127724

Rectifier sounds like a strong suspect. I will test that tonight. Thanks!

1964 Crownline Count
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'