Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Will parts from this fit my 85HP?

Will parts from this fit my 85HP? 7 years 7 months ago #126853

• ultraclyde
  • ultraclyde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I found a listing on CL locally for a project boat for $600 that looks to have a decent trailer under it and an older Johnson 150. I'm thinking about buying it to use the trailer and spare parts. How much of this johnson 150 (pic below) will cross to my 1973 85HP Evinrude?

Theirs:

Mine:

I'm thinking maybe prop, which looks stainless, possibly the entire lower unit. What about things like spark coils?

I don't really have any issues with my motor, but spare parts...

Of course, I could always throw the old prop I have on it and sell the whole motor as an unknown parts donor for $400. Or put the whole boat on my old trailer and throw it on CL for $600....and have a near-free trailer.

I emailed the guy, I'll go look at it and see what's salvageable and what the details are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Will parts from this fit my 85HP? 7 years 7 months ago #126887

• ultraclyde
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
After some research and taking a look at the motor, the short answer is that almost nothing swaps between the motors. The 150 is a late 80s narrow V6 block with the larger lower unit.

The boat is a total loss. The guy selling it got it from his buddy, and the buddy got it on the property of a house he bought. No legal transfer paperwork was done for any of that. It's been sitting long enough that the fiberglass weave is starting to show in places. Not enough of the hardware matches my old boat to make it useful to me, and although there are a ton of gauges and stuff they wouldn't look right on my boat either.

The trailer - which is the main thing I was interested in - was in pretty decent shape. Needs tires and bunks, of course. It's overkill for my boat but that's what I'd like to have for easy long distance towing. I'd prefer aluminum or galvanized though, and this one's steel. Tagging it would be an issue. There's also a pile of crap boat on it that I'd have to dispose of.

But then there's the motor. Johnson 150 GT, late 80s build, power tilt and trim. Looks fairly clean and the flywheel turns like it should by hand. The current "owner" says he's "never even hooked a battery to it" to see if it moves. He pretty obviously knows nothing about boats or mechanical stuff in general. I didn't check the LU oil, but it hasn't been beat up and it has a stainless prop on it. Controls are laying in the bottom of the boat and are beat. Key's broken off.

If I had the time I'd buy the thing and resell the motor as a parts unit and could probably end up with a free trailer. But then I'd still have to figure out a way to get rid of the boat hull.... I think at this point it's probably not worth it unless he just gives it to me. If it's still on CL in a couple weeks I might offer to haul it off for him. ;)

Re:Will parts from this fit my 85HP? 7 years 7 months ago #126888

I would think you would come out pretty far ahead with selling the motor for that price. Its just a matter of how much time you want to sink into messing with the boat and parting it out.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:Will parts from this fit my 85HP? 7 years 7 months ago #126890

• ultraclyde
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
yeah, financially I would do allright. I just think I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. If it were a galvanized or aluminum trailer I'd do it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8498 guests and 2 members online