Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124588

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Put something under that barrel to raise it up!!!! The water pump should be SUBMERGED at startup!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124594

Hey Kerry, your post isn't showing up but I got the message on my e-mail. With the barrel full it's 6 inches under water to the inlet. How far do I want it to be if that's not enough ? Somethings wrong with the site today. According to JEGO's there is no one viewing but I'm signed in and here typing. Hmm. Anyway I haven't even hooked up the battery and gas tank yet so I'll wait for your answer. There's stuff I can do in the meantime. :)
Attachments:

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124595

Ah. There it is. How far up the shaft does it need to be submerged ? Well, I'm going to raise it while it's empty anyway as far as I can get it before I hit the mount. My Merc buddy would have yelled at me before it happened ! LOL. I'm just setting up and getting it together waiting for him to show. Thanks for catching that. Karma 2 U :) She looks NICE topless. After we run it she's getting a bath and a buffing.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124597

I have never seen a motor so eager to run. The electric choke and starter both work beautifully and she fired up on the first spin with fuel !! It purrs like a kitten. Now the BAD part. I'm not seeing any water coming out of either of these holes. I think the top is exhaust and the bottom water no ?? Could it be the impeller although the same both ways is upside down ? It RUNS GREAT!! That wouldn't have happened so easy without you guys. I thank yu all :) If I can just get the cooling right now.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124602

Comfy ride - probably cost you a few KPH though!!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124604

On this boat that doesn't matter. It's the cruiser. The G-3 is for speed. LOL :)

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124606

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
With a thermostat you might not see much water flow until it warms up. Even then it you might not see much flow. It should be 'spitting' a very light mist all of the time though as that is designed in to cool the exhaust system.

How hot are the heads on the motor?

Can you hold you hand on them while it warmed up and running?

You should be able to.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124607

Being a chickens**t with "new" stuff I may have jumped the gun. I only let it run for a minute or two and when I couldn't see anything I shut it down. Does the "mist" I should be expecting come out of those two small holes on the shaft ??

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124611

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
You won't get a lot of water out the exhaust relief until the thermostat opens.

Best way to tell right away if she's pumping/circulating is the feel the exhaust manifold cover. It should be cool to lukewarm and if there's no water pumping, it'll get really hot within a minute or so, maybe less.

So if the exhaust manifold cover is staying cool, then you're OK to run it longer until the 'stat opens.

Make sure you have the L/U deep in the bucket. I've had problems with some Big Twins not wanting to pump in a barrel, so last resort if it doesn't want to pump would be to temporarily pull the thermostat and leave the cover off; start up the engine, see if water pours out the top of the head, then install the cover and see what happens.

HTH........ed

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124613

Makes me wish I had a bigger barrel. LOL. I've got the barrel right up to the mount so it can't get any deeper. I guess I'll have to overcome my fear of breaking it before I even use it and try your way. Where would the thermostat be located ? Thanks as always Ed. You da Man.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124615

Since the exhaust goes down the shaft is the manifold under the motor ? I don't want to stick my hand in the wrong place.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124616

I'm looking at it in the bottom picture if the parts place is correct. Here goes nothin. :) It got pretty warm but I'm not going to trust my senses. I'll have to remove the thermostat and see what's what in there. Am I going to need to, or should I, replace the gasket (if any)? Or can I try to reuse it ?

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124618

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Here's a test barrel I was using just a few minutes ago. The hanging section saves a lot of water.

Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124619

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Duplicate post.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124622

Ed and VinTin and all you guys, THANKS. We pulled the thermostat (broke one screw but we're tapping it now) and the water flew ! No worries about cooling there. I was feeling so good we tried her gears out and everything works great ! She runs great. How long is it safe to let it idle I'm wondering ?? I'd like to work the bugs out (if any) sitting in my driveway as opposed to Lake Erie. And it's little smoky at 24:1 but that's okay for now. Great advice every step of the way and we thank you all again.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124626

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Smoke is good, means you are lubing the internals. I think you are ready for a lake run, just prepare for trouble, as you should anytime. Stow a trolling motor and spare battery, or go out with a fellow boater just in case. Idle at the ramp for a minute or two to warm up. Slow speed from the dock, adjust low speed for best running, then out (rich) just a pinch to help acceleration. Check for spitting water. All good, full throttle to plane, then back off a bit and cruise for a few minutes, check for water again. All OK? Enjoy the rest of the ride. Anyone else have something to add? I always seem to miss something. No age jokes, please.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124629

I already made a date with my Merc Buddy Steve for 3 weeks from now. There's still a bit of paperwork and I may rebuild the hubs on the trailer and repack the bearings. I've got time so I'll be going over all the little details you guys come up with. I'm changing fuel lines since I don't like the feel of one. It looks good but...(I married one of them once, beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes to the BONE !). Steve's got an 18 foot (could be 17) 1980 AMF Crestliner Crusader Bowrider with an 1150 Merc Tower on it. I won't be able to outrun him but I'd like to make a show of it at least. My boat is a lot lighter than his and he has to push more water than I do. LOL. Thanks for your help and tips Kerry :)

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124642

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Sounds like progress to me! Keep in mind that these motors do require a good thermostat in place for best operation. Won't matter at speed, but without a 'stat keeping the block 'toasty' at low speeds, she won't idle as cleanly.

You can test the old 'stat in a pan of water on the stove, measure the temp when it begins to open and is fully open. According to the parts cross-listings, it's supposed to be a 143 deg F 'stat.

P/N 18-3543 for the 'stat alone, and 18-3672 for the kit which includes the thermostat rubber gasket & the 'stat.

www.sierramarine.com/pdfcatalog/2014sierra/2014searchmain.html

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3672

Another thing to check while you're in there, is to make sure the black plastic insert that the 'stat rests upon is still in place. Also there's a while plastic ball/disc at the bottom of the insert that serves as a check valve, with a spring under the ball (parts #116, 117, 118, 119 in the diagram).

The motor's heat/water recirc functions won't work right if these parts are gone, although it'll still pump well. You'd notice more in very cold water, where it would take longer to warm up the engine. That's the reason for 2 water tubes on these, to support that recirc system.

Have Fun!.......ed
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 9 months ago #124645

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Also keep in mind that without a T-stat the automatic choke may want to come on.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124648

You mean on top of having a manual and a push button electric choke it's also got an automatic one ? I wonder why that didn't activate ?

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124663

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Firstglassproject wrote:

You mean on top of having a manual and a push button electric choke it's also got an automatic one ? I wonder why that didn't activate ?

I think it came from the factory with a water temperature controlled choke. It has been said that they did not work the best and were changed over to an air temperature controlled choke about 1964. I know of one fellow who changed his back to electric choke but he also changed carbs.

Post up a good photo of the starboard side of the carburetor and we can see for sure. The carb would have water lines going to it.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124664

Here you go. The button on the dash closes the choke as long as it's held.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124678

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, that is an electric choke for sure and not a water temperature controlled choke.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124680

Whew. One less worry. :) I though it was a horn button until I remembered that my horn works off the steering wheel ring. The previous owner did a lot of little tweaks in this boat and I'm still finding surprises. There's a brand new spare prop with a shiny cotter pin in a bracket he built under the rear bench seat I found when I started scrubbing her down today. Score ! Have a great night and thanks again for your help. Mark.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5421 guests and no members online