Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years.

Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123689

Sometime this week after I finish the inspection I'm going to try to light the fires in this old girl that's been sitting for four years. Other than normal common sense are there any special tips or tricks you guys know to prevent disaster ? It has been VERY well maintained and was prepped for storage by a pro. I've never seen such a clean cowling :) I need this motor for two boats for while so I want it to last. Any help would be appreciated and welcome.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123690

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Replace the water pump impeller before you do any running test. Easy to do on a manual shift motor, and prevents pieces of deteriorated rubber from going to places that could be harmful to the motor. Cheapest insurance you can get for her. After that, you can check for spark, mix some 24:1, and go for it. Good luck.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123691

I was wondering about that fuel/oil ratio. My neighbors Merc is 50 to 1 and I thought that was a bit high. I'll have to check that impeller. If the rubber's in good shape can it be reused or am I better off to get a new one ( if I can ) ? Thanks for the help :)

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123692

I just went to MarineEngine.com as recommended and while they don't seem to have anything for my motor I e-mailed them to ask for other sources or an inventory check. I didn't think it would be that easy.LOL.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123700

Check with Joe Ferguson at Ferguson Poole -- he has always had the Evinrude/Johnson parts I needed. He is on this site, too.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123712

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Here are the parts listings (by model #) for your 40hp at marineengine.com:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1961&hp=40

BTW you can run 50:1 TCW-3-rated outboard oil in your 40hp, but for the first-time-out it's probably prudent to do as suggested to mix a bit heavier. Give those old parts plenty of lube while they're waking up!

Basic maintenance on a motor that hasn't run for a while would include going thru the ign and cleaning/gapping the points; carb service, new spark plugs, impeller change, gear oil drain/refill.

You might also consider replacing the fuel pump diaphragm; failure is not uncommon, especially on a rubber diaphragm that's gotten old & hardened from sitting. Likewise for fuel lines if they're all hardened.

But, if you have spark, you could pump 'er up with fuel (after the impeller replacement), see if she'll run and then address any issues you find.

HTH & let us know how it goes............ed

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123713

I got as far as you did with them. If you go to that site you've given me you'll end up where I did. They don't recognize the model number 35022 !! It's IN THEIR SYSTEM but goes nowhere. I tried for a couple hours and eventually just e-mailed them with a WTF ?? Thanks for trying anyway. I'm going to try Joe Ferguson next. Hey Joe ! You out there ?? :)

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123714

I've done everything on your list except the impeller but I like your idea about the diaphragm. Guess I'm looking for a carb rebuild kit too. You don't mess around on the upper Niagara.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123723

I just found a little place in Ancaster Ontario called MarineMax Powersports that might be able to help. You guys might want to check them out. They have a really big selection of used motors and parts from the 70's and up but some older stuff too. They are half shop half salvage yard and seem to be a good source for older stuff. I'll let you know.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123729

You can also search marineengine.com using your engines year and horsepower rating. I think marineengine is using the Johnson style model numbers (I.E. RD,RDS,RDL) followed by a number. Anyway I came up with part #0777213 J/E impellar and 18-3083 for sierra brand. Those part numbers came up the same for all the 1961 40hp motors they had listed under Evinrude. Hope that helps.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123730

Firstglassproject wrote:

I just went to MarineEngine.com as recommended and while they don't seem to have anything for my motor I e-mailed them to ask for other sources or an inventory check. I didn't think it would be that easy.LOL.

For internal parts (anything other than cover, trim, knobs) you can look at the Johnson RD-23 parts diagram:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1961&hp=40&model=RD-23

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123732

That's fantastic. Thank you very much. My motor did show up but there was nothing for it. Now I have a part number I'm halfway there. :)

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123733

That's great. Thank you. Silly question but under which of those catagories would the impeller be listed ?

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123734

SUCCESS !! They have 8, now 7, of the OEM and 10 aftermarket. Mines on the way with a carb rebuild kit. In a couple weeks she'll be good to go. THANKS GUYS.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123893

Here's the brand new old stock impeller I got from the place that sold the boat 56 years ago. It was nice to see them smile going through the pictures. I told them I'd bring it to the shop for them to see in person as soon as it was ready to go. I'm taking your advice and starting my mix at 24:1 for the first tank at least. Thanks for the tips. It's time to install the new impeller.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123972

I am running a 1961 Lark 40hp on my 62 Clyde plywood, fast and smooth! The recommendation for that motor when new was 24:1 I feel comfortable at 32:1. Don't waste your money on super expensive oils Canadian Tire's own brand of TCW3 is just fine been using it for years. These old motors ain't too picky!

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #123985

It's kind of a labour of love so for the first little while I'll spoil her. :) I promised the Widow I'd take care of it and put her to good use and I keep my promises. She'll be going for a ride in her soon.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124014

Now the question is, do I have to remove the prop hub and bottom end here
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124015

and here
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124016

Or can I access the impeller from here ?
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124017

And here ? Or do I have to do both ?
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124024

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The "Super Quiet" motors are a bit more tedious to work on because of all the extra sound isolation mounts & shrouds/covers, but they are pretty quiet compared to the older Big Twins.

You'll have to remove all the bolts that hold that back shroud to the center section, and pull the shroud.

Then you can gain access to the shift coupler "window" and also the L/U mounting bolt(s) that are hidden by the shroud. Looks like it's a freshwater motor, so the bolts should come out nice for ya.

If they are stubborn, you must heat them as I can assure you it's an absolute nightmare repairing stainless bolts broken-off in an aluminum housing! Use heat from a torch, preferably MAPP gas 'cause it's hotter, but propane with a good tip will do in a pinch. It might burn your nice paint but that's still better than busted bolts!

When you put it all back together, spread a thin coating of anti-corrosion grease (or blue boat bearing grease, it works just as well) over the bolts' threads. This keeps them from seizing in part they're screwed into.

HTH & G'luck with the impeller job........ed

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124030

That's perfect. THANKS Ed ! I didn't know it was a Super Quiet motor and my mechanic helper only works on Merc's so he didn't know where to start either. With the diagram you already got me and this info it should go well. I'll take pictures of it step by step and keep them in case anyone ever needs to reference them. Or should I post them ? It's a little before 6am so I've got a couple hours to kill before Steve wakes up :) I may just start without him. lol.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124051

Got the shroud off of and the access window okay, but that doesn't give us access to anything we're after so we have to pull the lower unit. Like you said, being a freshwater motor nothing was stuck too bad so far. A little love tap and some WD-40 work wonders. Well, back at it !

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124054

Dropped the lower and there she was ! No bolts seized and the old one was in decent enough shape, still soft and pliable, I'll keep it onboard for a spare. Now I can do it anywhere if I have to. Thanks to everyone for all your help. I'm not a virgin on this motor anymore. I'll get the pictures up in a bit, we're just going to grease everything and put anti-sieze on the screws and bolts as we reassemble it. Happy days are here again. Now if she just runs. LOL.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124058

2 hours and almost no pain (those shift linkage bolts can be nasty) and she's good to go. Just have to get a barrel and some new plugs. The carb's done and spotless inside anyway.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124059

Lots of stuff living behind that shroud.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124060

But everything was pretty clean for a 1961.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124061

That's the Merc guy's sandals. LOL. I'm keeping the old one, it wasn't that old.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124064

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
VERY clean, it must have extremely low hours 'cause usually the shift rods, coupler, and exhaust dump in the L/U are coated with black carbon soot. That one looks almost like it just came from the factory.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124066

The original owner kept it VERY well and when he died 4 years ago his Wife had it serviced and set up properly for storage before she parked it. I only ended up with it because she and I were talking about the G-3 I'd just gotten and I was looking for a parts boat. She said it was too nice to scavenge and once I'd seen it I agreed. I don't have to worry about too much from this point on about the boat I think but the trailer is a mess. Thanks for all your help Ed. I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you and my Merc buddy was real happy with those diagrams. :)

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124121

I've gone over every inch of this motor and it really is pristine. The gas lines, the wiring, every hose is as new. Even the plugs shocked me.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124122

All I did was wipe them off. There was a little carbon on the stem of the upper cylinder's plug (on the left) but nothing serious. I'm going to keep these for spares just in case.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124315

Well, I've got the new plugs, Champion J6C for future reference :), I've gone over every inch of wiring with a fine tooth comb and it's all solid and pretty. I'm changing the gear oil in the morning and getting out the rain barrel. Fresh gas at 25:1 for the first tank full anyway. I think I'm going to pull start it for nostalgia's sake and because I haven't got batteries yet. lol. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. My only fear is that the impeller might be upside down but it was identical both ways. There was a number 2 on the original and it was upside down so I copied that.

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124387

I'd been hoping to finish the Humber's motor and be in the water next weekend but I got hijacked by the Wife saying the backyard I got the boat for doing wasn't done yet ! How much will this boat cost me ???? I started by piling rock all over the place.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124388

The I had to make a "meandering" path, whatever that means.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124389

And then she discovered that a neighbor wanted his entire front garden removed so I had to go dig up and bring home this pile ! I'm done and next weekend I'm going boating or I'm going to mutiny !
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124585

Today's the day. I'm off to Petro Canada for some good gas and I'm picking up two batteries in an hour. She's in the barrel and waiting ! Fingers and toes crossed !!
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124586

While the side curtainds may be shot, the rear and top are in great shape. I think she looks pretty good with the bimini up.
Attachments:

Re:Firing up a 1961 Evinrude 40 horse after 4 years. 7 years 8 months ago #124587

Those Cadillac seats sure stand out though ! LOL.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat