Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage?

1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122784

Sorry to keep beating this horse. Im having trouble starting my 1965 evinrude speedy four. I think I have it figured out WHY, but I dont know how to fix, or if its supposed to be this way. I cant seem to open the throttle enough to allow it to start. MY control box has more throw than the throttle linkage will move. It wont move enough to engage the main butterfly valve hardly at all. The throttle seems to be getting blocked by the ignition timing system? Im not sure. When I did get it started a few days ago, somehow I had been able to manipulate the throttle back and forth completely. Today, the throttle lever never would get but about half way, and that dosent move the butterfly valve at all. Its all on a funny shaped cam, and the butterfly valve has a wheel on it. For some reason the throttle linkage at the engine just will not move hardly at all.

I got the crfanking system fixed, required a new solenoid.

I dont know if it has something to do with gear shift position, or if the system dosent allow more movement until it starts?? It aint gonna start if the throttle stays closed! The way it is now, the main butterfly valve is completely closed, and dosent budge more than a hair if I force the throttle lever very hard, feels like Im gonna break it. No start at all today,, and when I figured it out,, I knew it wouldnt start unless I got the throttle to move. Never did,, killed the batteries cranking,, getting a sputter here and there when I could force the lever real hard.

Good thing my kicker works. Im screwed if that one develops problems. Oh well, the whole purpose of todays trip was to test. I tested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122794

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Don't know why no one has chimed in yet for your fix. Have you tried disconnecting the controls at the motor? Take the key from the ignition, put your control lever(s) in neutral/start position and then disconnect the cables at the motor end. Shift it by hand so it's in neutral and you can spin the prop in both directions. Try to move the throttle lever forward, not the carb levers but the throttle lever that the cable would normally connect to. I'm not familiar with your motor setup but the timing advance should move forward slightly and the butterfly, not the choke, on the carb will be a smidgeon open. Usually the older OMCs had reference marks on the levers to show the positions of cams and rollers when at idle. These should be lined up. If that seems honky dory then manually shift it in forward, spin the prop backwards and it should lock up. Now manually by hand move the throttle lever forward, the carb and timing linkages should all move together for wide open. If this happens your motor is adjuster close to good and the problem might be in your control. The only reason I can think of that you are not opening the throttle with the controller is that the motor linkages are not adjusted properly. Try googling "adjusting older evinrude motor controls", just might get lucky.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122795

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122807

Sorry busy few days, unfortunately not on the boat. Anyway go to this thread and read about the timing and synchronization. I think it talks about the linkage set up. Post some pics of how your linkage looks and that will help us some.

Bob

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122841

Thanks again guys. I will post pics. Ive got the service manual, but the pictures and diagrams are no help at all. Fortunately, You folks are here! Seriously, the members here have been more help than service manuals, local mechanics, iboats, crowly....

So, I worked on it yesterday, and it seems the main throttle cam that actuates the main throttle butterfly,, was badly out of adjustment? Not even sure about that though. I loosened the set screw, and lined up the timing mark with the center of the wheel that is attached to the throttle butterfly arm. So, theoretically, this is the idle position. In this adjusted setting, I now have full throw from the control box, and the throttle butterfly goes from fully closed to fully open via the control box. There was only 1 other obvious adjustment available, and that is the connecting arm that goes from the throttle mechanism, to the distributor, the timing advance I suppose.

There was one other issue, totally my fault. I removed the safety switch because it is worn out, and I just grounded the lead to the frame where the switch goes. Well, the screw is long, and it hung down low enough to block the ignition advance arm from traveling slightly sideways effectively blocking the ignition advance, and thus also blocking the throttle movement. Strange, because when I got it started on the first test day, everything was the same, cam adjustment, and the long screw. Guessing that pull starting somehow rattled the timing advance arm enough to clear the long screw?

Still not sure if the throttle cam was out of adjustment. I just tinkered with the obvious culprits. I used the procedure, setting everything at perfect centered neutral. As of now, it gets full throttle throw, and the ignition advance seems to be unaffected. Still havent started it yet because my hose attachment gives a poor feed to the water intake,, and im tired of looking like a fool at the lake.

Taking pics and posting soon. Probably going to rig up a better water feed for home starts, and see if it will start. I think it will, and pretty easy too. I dunno, seems like it should anyway. No issues with crank, or spark, or fuel. Last issue was air. Possible ignition timing issues,, just because I messed with it,, but I think its same as it was. No timing marks to line up except 1 dash in reference to the throttle cam, and the throttle lever wheel.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122845

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Always glad to be of some help. Time will come when you will be helping
someone else.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122854

Glad you got it figured out. As far as the hose is concerned this is what I made and it workd great. Pretty much exactly what Evinrude/Johnson used.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:1965 evinrude 75 throttle linkage? 7 years 10 months ago #122988

Pictures. First is the throttle linkage at rest, (idle?) I think fully closed. Note the timing line. I guessed that it should line up with the center of the wheel. This was about .5" out of sinc. I moved the linkage about .5" in from the end of the rodFURTHER than it was set. Dont know if I got it right, as there were no other witness marks n the rod. It works like this though,, so for now it stays.

2nd pic is the timing arm. No adjustments made.

3rd pic is where the safety switch used to be. I put a nut under the screw head to raise the screw to clear the timing arm.

4th pic is throttle fully opened.

Click the pics to goto the photobucket page. I hope these pics help somebody along the way. I ran it,, starts well, but dosent idle down real good. Oh well, thats what the little merc is for. Enjoy the pics. Im kinda a boat nut.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7008 guests and 2 members online