Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri

1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122609

Hi again guys. Im about to give up. I installed a 1965 evinrude 75 on my 1971 glasspar avalon. It started fine at the house. Before finishing up, I sprayed wd40 into the ignition switch, to loosen it up. Shouldnt be an issue?

model # 75553 S serial # B02356

So we goto lake today, and it will not turn over now!!!! No click, no nothing. So, like a real dumb ass, I putter out to the no wake zone using my very trusty merc60 kicker. Then its time to try the big evinrude again. I managed to start it by pull cord! No kidding, after about 30 minutes of trying different throttle and choke positions,, it fires,, and it even runs out quite fast. I make a couple laps, then kill it and thinking that maybe the batteries were dead,, so they should be more charged by now?

Still no start with the electric motor. no click, nothing. So,, like true redneck(proud) I fire it off again by pulling on the cord. Its a real beast,, but yeah, it fires, and now after a few laps,, it fires easier,, but not real easy,, as its a big motor.

Anyway,, I dont want to have to pull start this thing every time.

Whats up? I get continuity at the safety switch that is next to the distributor. Is that a neutral safety? Its on top and seems to have more to do with ignition timing than gear shifts?

This old tub would be a runner at this point if the start situation can be fixed. I had to rig up a steering system using the tilt tube from my 800 merc, and some home machined brackets. It looks ghetto, but works. Poor old boat. In my ownership its no longer original, and getting worse not better! The plan was to make improvements,, but its been a struggle ever sinse the original motor quit working.

Anybody got a correct wiring diagram for this motor? (evinrude 75553 S)

The white wire in the main loom from the solenoid box is very ragged, but still has continuity. I think thats the wire that feeds the safety switch too.

When I turn the key to start, should I get 12 volts at the white wire coming off the ignition switch? Should I get 12 volts at the safety switch? I think the white wire coming off the ignition switch is the same circuit as the safety switch,, not sure though. Started to rain as I was testing continuity in the system.

Could I have killed the ignition switch? How can I test this?

Thanks! You folks have been a great help with my other issues. its always something isnt it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122635

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
That switch at the magneto dist is to keep from over revving in neutral. Get someone to turn the ignition switch and take a test light to the starter and see if it's getting juice. And yes , I'm a redneck too and proud of it

Re:1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122641

I have a 66 Johnson and I can tell you my switch was defective. It could also just need adjustment. Once I replaced the switch, I fooled around with adjustments. There is a fine line between NOTHING and starting.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122686

Im going to work on the evinrude again today. So, after thinking about it, Im gratefull that the system is about 1/3 as complex as the mercury electrical system!

My targets are ignition switch, safety switch, starter solenoid, and the frayed wire that feeds the safety switch.

Im going to replace the damaged white wire, then start checking the components. Dont know what else to look for. Seems like a fairly simple outfit.

I would like to hook up the tachometer as well, but that can wait.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122713

jimmyjack wrote:

Anybody got a correct wiring diagram for this motor? (evinrude 755535)

Model numbers for 1965 I see are:

Evinrude 1965 75532 Speedifour-HD 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75533 Speedifour-HD-Long Shaft 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75552 Speedifour 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75553 Speedifour-Long Shaft 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75582 Starflite(Bl.) 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75583 Starflite(Bl.)-Long Shaft 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75592 Starflite(Gr.) 75.00
Evinrude 1965 75593 Starflite(Gr.)-Long Shaft 75.00

Starflites had "selectric" shift, and different wiring diagrams from mechanical shift engines.

So I'm assuming you have the long shaft speedifour, and added an extra 5 at the end.

The closest I've been able to find so far is for the 1966 80HP equipped with a generator, and in black and white:
www.raylinrestoration.com/BoatStuff/Technical/1966-80HP-V4.jpg

This thread has a (small) color diagram for 1964:
forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/237814-1964-evinrude-60-hp-ignition-wiring

If you don't find it here, try on iboats or aomci.org ask-a-member.

If you have a starflite, here is the diagram:
www.raylinrestoration.com/BoatStuff/Technical/1964%20V-4%20selectric%20gs-wiring.jpg

P.S.
The "B" (likely green) and "S" (likely white) are the terminals on the key switch that are connected in the start position....

Re:1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122727

Yes, 75553 S. Thanks for those links. Ill edit the first post as well, so future searches will not be side tracked.

Re:1965 evinrude 75 pull starts, but not with electri 7 years 10 months ago #122734

Thanks for all the links and info! Ive got it running and starting again. I call that a success. Starter might be going out. I applied direct current to it, and got it turning,, then after re assembling the solenoid box, it fires with the key as it should

Got choke sort of working too. Guessing that intake vacuum will pull the choke plates open again, because the adjustment spring by itself dont do it.

Worried it needs a water pump now, but far as I can tell the lower unit is sealed up tight and in good shape.

Raining now, and I want to go fishing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8260 guests and no members online