Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Winter maintenance

Winter maintenance 8 years 2 months ago #119231

I'd like to order parts to do some general maintenance on my 59 Super Seahorse 35. I bought it late last summer and have no idea when it last had anything done to it. My plan is to order:

Carb gasket set with float
Points and condensor
Water pump impeller and lower end gasket/seal set

Is there anything else that I should plan to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Winter maintenance 8 years 2 months ago #119237

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Being a 1959 motor I would take a really good look at those coils and plug wires. If you have the flywheel off anyway for points and condenser work, remove each coil and look over carefully for any cracking, corrosion, clean all wire connection points to nice shiny metal. I routinely replace the plug wires on all my 50's and 60's OMC motors. After years of service the wires can build up resistance in the wire knocking down the spark energy. Old wires can also fall victim to "carbon tracking" that is not always noticed by the naked eye. Plug wires are cheap, and may surprise you as to how much better they can make a motor run and idle.

Re: Winter maintenance 8 years 2 months ago #119241

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ditto what was said. I would just go ahead and replace the coil(s), they are not that pricey @ marineengine.com. you can also buy SOLID CORE spark plug wire (ignition wire) by the foot at a marine parts dealer or some auto speed shops. Measure the wires and add another 12", get new 'boots' and terminals and you can make your own. Rather toss a few inches in the save bin than come up short on the plug wire routing. Don't forget the fuel pump gasket(s).

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1959&hp=35&model=RD-21&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Magneto+Group

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1959&hp=35&model=RD-21&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Fuel+Pump+Group

That fuel pump diaphragm weakens over time, sometimes pin-holes.

Re:Winter maintenance 8 years 2 months ago #119251

Thanks, I'll add those to my list. I had considered the coils, but I wasn't sure if I was being premature.
What about fast and slow idle needles, do they usually need to be replaced? We ran the motor once last year and it ran pretty well, but the needles didn't seem to be make a lot of difference.
Do I really need a test prop for adjusting timing and carb?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)