Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: starter issue??

starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117772

Picked up a 69 Johnson 85 hp the other day for $30 with controls.

Tossed it on the back of the boat & plugged in the controls - tonight I used jumper cables for the juice & turned the key for the first time.

Crazy thing happened - first I saw the electric choke engage & second the starter spun but didn't pop all the way up & engage the flywheel.

not a bad start -

I used a screw driver to lift the starter gear all the way up & tried again - the engine turned over - good news it's not locked up.

Bad news was it turned over VERY slowly. & the prop seemed to be engaged - like its in gear.

Did a little research & its supposed to be in gear - in fact after the engine turned over once or twice it would pop into neutral - so I think thats normal & good.

but it still turns over slow. I ran the jumpers to my truck battery (while running) and it still turned slow.

I pulled the spark plugs & it still turned slow.

I squirted the cylendars with WD-40 & it still turned slow.

I'm really surprised its gone this well so far - but I suspect I need a new starter - or I need to try running 24 volts to it.

What do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What the heck did I get myself into? Free boats are never free!

Re:starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117782

Rebuild the starter is best option (or spend the extra bucks for a new one. DO NO TRY 24 Volts.

Re:starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117812

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ditto! Do not use 24 volts then you will for sure need a rebuild. sometimes a little wd on the spring loaded gear will free that up so it will pop up but it sounds to me like there is a voltage drop somewhere else. Dirty battery connections, or bad connections on the solenoid, maybe even a poor ground on the motor. Look for the easy stuff before you go for a rebuild. Clean up ALL wire connections. Pull the spark plugs out of their holes so there will be no compression holding it back and then try running your jumper cables directly to the starter motor bypassing the solenoid and all the other stuff. Ground your negative anywhere on the motor block and touch the positive (red) to the starter red. Sparks will fly but if it turns over fast and good the starter itself is ok.

Re:starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117813

Yup. I pulled the spark plugs & it didnt crank any faster.

The starter will spin super fast without engaging the flywheel. But when i lift the gear into the flywheel it turns slow.

Ill clean all connections & WD the starter real good. But im guessing i need a rebuild.

Re:starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117894

Sounds like bad brushes to me -- time for a rebuild just to be safe.

Re:starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117903

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Any automotive starter rebuild shop should be able to rebuild that starter for you for MUCH less then the cost of a new one. That way, you know exactly what you have as well. They will test everything during the rebuild ( armature windings, brushes, magnets..etc..) and lubricate that sticky gear properly. The problem with buying new is you do not always know what you are getting. Cheap prices most times only get you some made in china thing that is "close" to your original and will fit but not quite right. The over seas starters sold today are "good for a year throw aways". No where near the quality of your original.

Re:starter issue?? 8 years 4 months ago #117906

That is a good idea. I had an alternator rebuild about 15 yrs ago & saved $300 over new. I'll look that place up.

I can pull the starter this weekend

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6998 guests and no members online