• Page:

TOPIC: Older trim/tilt retrofit

Older trim/tilt retrofit 8 years 5 months ago #117019

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
OK so I'm modifying a trim tilt off a '73 135hp Evinrude to fit my '67 Meteor. Had to do some "field engineering" to the main front plate, remove the locking mech, cut off some stuff, but things seem to be coming along fine. Does anyone know how to top off the hydraulic fluid while they are mounted. I filled the unit on the bench while it was horizontal but had to separate the two cylinders while I'm mounting them. Loss of 'precious bodily fluids' (General Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove,) when disconnecting the cross-over tube.

This is a pic (not the one) of what I am working with.

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=precious+bodily+fluids+strangelove&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=7E39470117544843F8737E39470117544843F873
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Older trim/tilt retrofit 8 years 5 months ago #117321

I somehow missed this post. Is this a tilt only, or is there a trim cylinder as well?

Have you made any progress? Would sure like to see more photos of it

Re:Older trim/tilt retrofit 8 years 5 months ago #117326

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bruce, as I read this it's late evening. Will post some pictures tomorrow(Thursday). It is completely installed, I did take some progress pics but never posted anything. It is a trim/tilt setup unfortunately the trim rod is slightly curved but not bad enough to interfere with operation. Looks like the PO tried raising it when it was locked down. The pot (rheostat) in the trim cylinder (Port side cylinder) is kapoot, rusted to nothing so I removed that and the wire connection that led to it when I installed new "0" rings and then sealed the wire hole with JB and a bolt plug so the cylinder just helps the initial 3" lift. The trim still works but I don't think I would trust it as an actual running trim to hold the motor in position without doing damage. After all the motor was not designed for this type of setup.
The tilt works perfect and raises the motor as required which is really all I wanted it for in the first place since that 100hp beast is getting heaver to raise by hand each year as I get older.
Besides the regular "raise/lower" switch mounted in the helm area I added a slave switch in the splash well so it can be raised and lowered onto the trailer/transom saver bar.
After taking the complete unit apart, cleaning up the motor and putting new mineral oil in it and new 0 rings and new seals in both cylinders I surmised that the starboard cylinder is actually the working full stroke tilt unit and the port cylinder has push for about 3" for trim only and then just goes along for the ride the rest of the up stroke. I've lifted the motor with just the starboard cylinder alone without problems, damn big hydo cylinders could probably be used on a log splitter.

Re:Older trim/tilt retrofit 8 years 5 months ago #117332

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Whole buncha pictures here for ya Bruce.
Keep in mind that this boat is not a trailer queen or show-boat, she's my daily driver/fishing scow :)

Had to remove the entire locking system and cut off the mounting tabs.

Removed

Tabs that were removed,

First dry fit and area of outside bracket that had to be cut down to fit.

Had to drill two more 1/2" holes in transom :(
Good news is that it is completely dry :)

Bolt up with 1/2" stainless bolts and nyloc nuts $$$$$$$$

Full extension. Highlighted area shows how two steel 2" wide straps were installed behind the lift.

This is the solenoid board that I made up, mounted inside behind the battery box.

The up/down switch by the helm.

Transom well slave switch, a spring loaded two-way toggle switch.

The final install.

It was a challenge and it works, Not a pretty setup but it can be done.

An aside, the unit itself was pretty much free to me. I purchased an older boat that had the unit on a 135hp Evinrude that has good compression and runs. Paid $445 for the boat, motor, trailer and lots of accessories. Sold off everything but the motor and tilt unit and came out ahead of the cost. The motor is up for grabs.

Re:Older trim/tilt retrofit 8 years 5 months ago #117333

WOW !!!! Great job !!!

Re:Older trim/tilt retrofit 8 years 5 months ago #117337

Nice work - I'm impressed on how you adapted it. The 135 looks really clean - should be pretty easy to sell on Craig's to someone looking for cheap power.

Thanks for the pictures. I have an original tilt setup for my Evinrude 100S. It works but needs to be overhauled. It lifts with only one cylinder, and it has a tiny cylinder that unlocks the tilt latch when raising it. It's funny to watch the tilt lock flip open when it's going up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6755 guests and one member online