• Page:

TOPIC: 2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht?

2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116851

• 16Again
  • 16Again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Planning on purchasing a boat with the subject motor. Please give me pors and cons. Have researched it elsewhere but find conflicting reports. I have confidence in the forum and its ability to provide unbiased factual info.
Thank you
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116895

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
We've had a couple members who've had them and had pretty good reports on the Ficht injection models Jack, I believe one of the keys is keeping it properly serviced and maintained. (As is true for any motor, right?)

I've also heard lots of negative reports on the motor(s), but I take them with a grain of salt. Who knows how they were treated and run, some folks just don't take care of their equipment!?

Mark

Re:2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116899

• 16Again
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for responding. I'm a pretty anal cat when it comes to maintenance and don't mind paying for work I can't, won't or don't want to do. It appears from the receipts that the prior owner was pretty much the same.
Jack

Re:2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116902

• billr
Most of the Ficht problems were on the V6 series, it's all over the internet.
I owned a 1999 Evinrude 115hp Ficht, basically the same engine as your prospective engine. My experience was positive. I ordered the FACTORY manuals from Erude, and I did note that in the factory manuals there were NGK plugs as alternative to the Champion plugs. I have never seen this before but the engine ran better on the NGK's. I had new sets of plugs, and idle was markedly different using the two brands. The plugs are expensive. The fuel pump diaphragm needed replaced on mine, but I do that on ANY engine when I first get it.
The engine had excellent fuel economy, no smoke, overall one of the best engines I've ever owned.
You can get a kit to allow you to see service and rpm history and error codes on ebay or at www.dfitechnologies.com/ .
If the engine is in good shape upon purchase, you might have a great experience like I did. They are quiet too.

Re:2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116908

• 16Again
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement. Having never owned anything like this before its all new to me and a little intimidating. Our 59 Jubilee is not too sophisticated.
Jack

Re:2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116917

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentBe sure you take it out for an intensive on-the-water test. Likely any manufacturing/quality issues would have cropped up by now; after 14 years the current condition of the engine would be the important thing.

If it doesn't run like a Swiss watch I'd be very hesitant, especially if it seems like a fuel-related issue. When you start delving into ECM and injector system problems, it's gonna get very expensive very fast!

The later Bombardier-produced ETEC engines are far superior but it's always possible to get a good older engine. No different that if it were carbureted, you'd still want to give it a good checkout.

BTW I checked on eBay and diagnostic software/cable kits are available for a reasonable price:

HTH & G'luck...........ed

Re:2001 90hp Evenrude Fuicht? 8 years 5 months ago #116926

• 16Again
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the heads up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8623 guests and no members online