• Page:

TOPIC: First Major Catastrophe...

First Major Catastrophe... 8 years 6 months ago #116385

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I finally got a chance to take my '57, 12hp Gale out on the lake... I picked it up a couple years ago, fired it up in the barrel, it ran and pumped water, it then sat on the back burner until this summer. I went through the ign, new coils, points, condensers, plugs & plug wires. I ran it several times in the barrel, ran perfectly! I couldn't wait to try it out. I mounted on my '56, 14' Feathercraft, took it out to the lake. Started first pull, idled perfect. After warm up I took it up to full throttle, wow! Ran better than my '55, 15hp. Flying across the lake ran great, until it abruptly quit, and couldn't pull the cord... Of course this was the first time all year, that I didn't bother to bring along one of my 3hp motors.... so I rowed all the way back to the launch... If my pics come through, you can see the results... I apologize for the cell phone pics, but the top piston rod failed and came apart...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:First Major Catastrophe... 8 years 6 months ago #116386

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The pic of the motor running, was seconds before it came apart.... Now I have about a'53 15hp 'Super Fastwin' parts motor, I'm wondering if the powerhead would bolt up to the '57 12hp? Looks compatible, except the 12hp has 'stud' mounts on the side, and the older 15hp has bolts instead...
Attachments:

Re: First Major Catastrophe... 8 years 6 months ago #116387

They say even a bad day on the lake is better than a good day at work, but that may be the exception. Bummer :-/

Re:First Major Catastrophe... 8 years 6 months ago #116395

Bummer very sorry to hear that!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6639 guests and one member online