TOPIC: 35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling

35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 6 months ago #116288

• 16Again
  • 16Again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all-
I believe this is my first post on this site, on GSG frequently. I have a 35hp Jubilee that I just put back into service. Been stored 41 years. It started immediately and idled fine but under power it fell on its face. Opened the front cover and adjusted both high and low speed mixture adjustments, low needed to be leaner and high needed to be richer or visa versa to achieve best running performance. After pulling the boat I noticed a greenish foamy, fuel smelling, oily substance coming from all orifices. Due to the fuel smell and since it was not milky white I assumed it must be mixture related as opposed to water migrating into lower unit. Since it was adjusted to run its best and mixture was 24 to 1 I can't explain the ooze. I would think that it is indicating a rich condition but what do I know? Any ideas would be helpful.
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 5 months ago #116301

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Please define "all orifices". Lower unit? Carb? Crankcase? Exhaust? After 41 years I would suspect most of the seals and gaskets are dried out and need to be replaced. Did you run it on the water or in a tub/hose?
Cal

Re:35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 5 months ago #116332

• 16Again
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Took it out again this afternoon and realized it was only the two drain holes, one in the lower unit extension and the other in the bottom of the gear case. Stopped by the shop and talked with them for awhile and they explained the whole two cycle unspent fuel, exhaust and cooling system which seems to be the big reason that 2 smokes are the bane of Tree Huggers here in CA. Since I had made some adjustments there was much less oozing today. Thanks for taking an interest.
Jack

Re:35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 5 months ago #116349

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Good to hear. If you use non ethanol fuel, proper oil mix and add some Seafoam for a few tanks you will find that it cleans up the built up carbon and you will get less "leaking".
The Seafoam will smoke ALOT when it's working but after that you'll probably see some improvement in performance also.
Enjoy the season.

Re:35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 5 months ago #116365

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
A 'Crankcase drain recovery system' cleans them up a lot!

Mine works great on a 57 35hp Johnson.

Re:35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 5 months ago #116374

• 16Again
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Please sxplain the system. Pics will help a lot.

Thanks Jack

Re:35Hp Jubliee oozing bluegreen foamy fuel smelling 8 years 5 months ago #116377

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6222 guests and one member online