Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Calling this one done .

Calling this one done . 8 years 6 months ago #115755

This Starflite II is probably the last motor I will do for someone else. it is coming together finally - but man it's a lot of work! I could do this so quickly when I was just 20 y.o. LOL... sigh I need time for MY stuff! I still need to build my Starflite III with the 115 powerhead - that should only take me 3 years.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Getting closer 8 years 6 months ago #115796

Outstanding as always Bruce! Yep gotta take time and get your personal stuff done. ;)

Bob

Re:Getting closer 8 years 6 months ago #115825

Thanks bob,

I need a hobby that is completely different than my work. This is why I never get to work on my own stuff. It stinks!

Re:Getting closer 8 years 5 months ago #117285

This project is finally done. Ran engine for 1st time yesterday. Had to work out a couple bugs, but after that it seems to be happy. Compression after warmed up is an even 100lbs on all four cylinders. Customer will pick it up Friday of this week.
Attachments:

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117287

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Really nice job,Bruce. Owner should be real happy and realize how lucky he was to find someone that would take the pains to do it right or even take on one of these old motors. Most will laugh in yer face about fixing up one. The colors really pop!

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117291

Great job. Looks amazing. I guess this is bad news for me.....every time I mention that I have a 1966 100HP Golden Meteor coming on my boat that has been sitting for 5 years, people say you need to speak to Bruce Gerard! I was just a little excited because instead of being half a world away from me, you are only about 5 hours!

Sounds like you are one of the few aficionados on these vintage OMC motors.

Really nice job. Time to enjoy your own projects.

Sincerely,
David

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117296

Thanks everyone.

David - I don't think you need to worry about finding someone to work on the Meteor. There ARE actually many competent mechanics around that will work on that engine. A main-line shop likely wouldn't touch it, but they probably have the phone number for someone that does repairs on the side. There is at least one place in the East Bay where one of the mechanics is willing to take the old timers on. If the engine is in good shape, it's worth keeping running - unless of course, you want to run it where old 2 cycles aren't allowed.

If you take the motor to someone - be sure they understand why you are maintaining it. It isn't so you can get a pile of junk running for very little money. Tell them that you value the originality of it. You don't care if it's old, inefficient, obsolete. No you don't want a nice used FORCE 100 POS that they took in on a trade. No you don't want a Yamaha. You want it fixed because it is original. you are a collector. They will understand that, and if not - take it to someone that will understand your point. Also tell the mechanic that you want it completely "shopped" not band-aided together. That is an important thing to remember.

I'm not in a hurry to take on another restoration like this one simply because of the time commitment. Most people aren't willing to pay even close what it takes to fully restore an old outboard. A motor like this is a lot of work, unless of course you compare it to a car restoration. Car guys are NUTS.

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117297

Thanks Bruce.

And, I'm not looking to make it look like a show piece. I just want it to be reliable. My local marine shop had once told me they wouldn't work on it, but then they told me if it is slow during the winter they will.

Anyway, hopefully the whole boat and motor will be here soon enough.

Sincerely,
David

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117300

• w guy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Bruce Gerard wrote:

Thanks everyone.

David - I don't think you need to worry about finding someone to work on the Meteor. There ARE actually many competent mechanics around that will work on that engine. A main-line shop likely wouldn't touch it, but they probably have the phone number for someone that does repairs on the side. There is at least one place in the East Bay where one of the mechanics is willing to take the old timers on. If the engine is in good shape, it's worth keeping running - unless of course, you want to run it where old 2 cycles aren't allowed.

If you take the motor to someone - be sure they understand why you are maintaining it. It isn't so you can get a pile of junk running for very little money. Tell them that you value the originality of it. You don't care if it's old, inefficient, obsolete. No you don't want a nice used FORCE 100 POS that they took in on a trade. No you don't want a Yamaha. You want it fixed because it is original. you are a collector. They will understand that, and if not - take it to someone that will understand your point. Also tell the mechanic that you want it completely "shopped" not band-aided together. That is an important thing to remember.

I'm not in a hurry to take on another restoration like this one simply because of the time commitment. Most people aren't willing to pay even close what it takes to fully restore an old outboard. A motor like this is a lot of work, unless of course you compare it to a car restoration. Car guys are NUTS.

I resemble that remark! But you "get it" Bruce. It's all about preserving a bit of history and enjoying things that were fun before our disposable society developed. You do nice work.
Verne

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117302

She looks just beautiful. The owner was very lucky to find you at the right time.
Gene

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117310

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Beautiful piece of work Bruce as always. I say the same thing about boats but it seems there are at least two or three that land in my lap begging for repairs.

Dave, The Golden Meteors are a real piece of work aren't they??
Just about everything on them goes against the grain of before and after years of OMC. Love my '67 100hp that Bruce helped me convert to regular ign. from first gen CDI. Thought about swapping it out this winter with a newer 135hp 'Rude but couldn't bear to part with it. Too dependable. Just had to install a larger fuel tank :laugh: and now I field engineered an older tilt/trim unit that works beautifully.

Re:Calling this one done . 8 years 5 months ago #117320

Well, I will be posting plenty of pictures once I get it which will hopefully be this weekend!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7246 guests and one member online