• Page:

TOPIC: Tilt retrofit

Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114667

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
So I obtained a working tilt unit on an old boat that mysteriously showed up in my driveway. It is mounted on a '73 Starflyte 135. Looks like it was made for that model. I would like to mount it on my '61 100hp Johnson Meteor which is a whole different setup. Anyone ever retrofit/field engineer a tilt unit. This is not trim, don't need that. I just want to be able to raise and lower the motor at the landing so I can hook up the trailer brace bar without throwing out my lower back. Pictures to follow if someone has tinkered with the idea or maybe we can work through a new area.
Cal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114680

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Cal, the power tilt on my 75hp v-4 originally came off a 71-72 120-135 hp ?? johnson( It's been a very longgg time ago). The only mod I had to do was where the lift cylinder at the bottom ,I had to trim where the cylinder base straddles the tilt adjustment pin bracket. I'm assuming your 100 has the same mounting bracket my 63 johnson does.The reason ,I later found out why I had to trim it was the later model lift cylinders had slightly beefier base mounts than the early model cylinders which is a good thing,I guess. Here's a pic of what the complete set up looks like for the 62-68 v-4s Oh yeah,I did away with the automatic lock release that came with the lift stuff cause the hydraulic hose was bad and I don't ever lock the motor down anyway.

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114728

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, I'm a newbie to the tilt thing, never had one before. Here's what I have. Came off a '73 rude 135 and I want to reconfigure it for the 100hp Johnson. By looking at the pics can anyone tell me what model it is so I can look up schematics etc. The motor runs when I make a direct connection to the blue wire, nothing from the red wire. Probably have to rebuild the whole shebang. Since the entire motor mounting system is completely different it's going to take some field engineering to make it work. First things first. Need to get the unit in working condition. PO said it worked, I guess he meant the motor ran :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114734

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cal, this is just my opinion, but that looks like A LOT of re-engineering. The lift cylinder is way longer than what will fit on your current motor mount. Here's some pics with measurements of a parts unit I have.
Attachments:

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114735

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cal, this will fit your motor although the seller must be smokin' crack or somethin' :laugh: . You might make a reasonable offer and he may take you up on it. Huh,as a side note I learned something new. This lift cylinder is slightly different with the return oil line entering on the back side instead of on the inside allowing the manual tilt lock to be used with the power tilt. Got schooled on that :)
Attachments:

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114749

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jim, He must think that sucker is made of gold. More than I paid for the whole boat, motor, trailer and a ton of accessories. I did save the page and pictures though for some ideas. Looks like the cylinders take the place of the shocks. This will be a winter project, first to get the pump et al in working condition. Maybe putting the pump itself inside the boat and run hyd lines to the cylinders.
A question though...with the cylinders that large I'm wondering if they acted as a trim also. The boat did have a trim gauge on the dash alongside the up/dn switch.

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114754

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah,I saw that.Probably was for trim too. You might could bypass trying to fit it to your existing mount and fit it on each side instead.

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114758

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good Idea. It's sitting on the bench right now, will push it to the back until November and then revive this thread. TKS

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114774

I bet it would be perfect fit for my 1973 Evinrude Triumph 65.....

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114780

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I know it would but now there's a conundrum. When I bought the junker boat for the tilt the old geezer said the motor didn't run but the tilt worked. Me thinks he had it somewhat backwards. Just for drill I hooked up the '73 135hp, pumped some gas in it and it fired right up!! "Smagin that!" Clean lower unit oil, good cooling and what looks like newer mag coils. Now the conundrum...do I swap the 135 for the older Johnson 100ho Meteor? The Johnnie runs perfect no problems, the 135 is 10 years newer and has the tilt (which doesn't work). I'm leaning towards the swap if I can get the tilt running. An extra 35hp never hurt either :laugh:

Pictures are when I blasted some seafoam into the carbs, had to turn the idling down a few notches as it worked in. Not a mosquito to be found and the neighbors did not call the local volunteer fire dept.
Attachments:

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114783

Excellent, I love those mosquito foggers!!!! LOL Plus you can never have too much horsepower right?!?!?!?!/

Bob

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114832

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good news, bad news today. Rained all day so I decided to work on the tilt mech. Good news is I got the motor rebuilt and running got all new hyd oil in it and one cylinder works perfect. Bad news is the other cylinder needs a rebuild. Here's where you guys come in. What is the name of the type of wrench I need to open this puppy up. I was able to get the first cover off using a clip spreader but the inner seal retainer takes a longer reach. If I knew what the wrench was called I could get one.
Attachments:

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114837

Lucky thing the shop did not flood out with all the rain today! I heard of a few cars stalling in the standing water around town. I was a little nervous driving through the monsoon on 41S in that chute between Velp and Shawano!!

I had a note from Boatman regarding a windshield 8/30 and I have responded a few times but not heard back from him. Any suggestions?

Once I have a windshield it is on to seats!!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114849

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thought you had that resolved a few weeks ago. Two weeks ago there was a red Mustang just like yours on ebay/rawhide. Complete with seats, windshield, 70hp evinrude, trailer, almost looked perfect. Went for $329.00. If I knew you didn't have the parts yet I would have let you know.

Re:Tilt retrofit 8 years 7 months ago #114899

Ouch!! I would have figured out a way to make that work. I would like to get more power on the boat if the transom will hold it, so that could have worked out all around.

I think that I have a windshield, just need to figure out seats and a corner bracket. My need your advice on the windshield as it has some damage but looks good overall. I will let you know when I get my hands on it and might stop by for some install tips.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7229 guests and no members online