• Page:

TOPIC: Fat 50 Performance

Fat 50 Performance 13 years 8 months ago #11209

• JerrfyLube
  • JerrfyLube's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The hull in question is a 16' Glasspar Runabout...currently powered by a '57 35HP Seahorse. It pushes the boat just OK...REALLY low 20's with a load of a couple people, fishing and safety gear, etc.

Ive come across a 59, i believe, Fat 50 for cheap which is pretty much a bolt on and go motor for this boat...my question is, considering all the extra weight the 50 carries over the 35, will i see much of a performance difference? Enough to justify a swap? I hear they are gas hogs...but lets get real...that 35HP aint no fuel sipper either...especially since it needs to be ran at WOT constantly to keep the boat on, or nearly on plane.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fat 50 Performance 13 years 8 months ago #11218

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My guess is as good as yours but I think with the right prop it has to be faster. Thats funny because the del mar boat came with what I believe is a 59 fat fifty. Yeah Ive heard about them being a gas hog but I remember Bruce (motorhead) saying he had the parts to tweak the motor for better performance and higher fuel consumption but I dont know... I also remember people saying they can go through 6 gallons in 1 hour but the 61's were better on fuel but dont quote me on that.
I think a running motor is a good thing. Good luck, Mike

EDIT::: My motor is a 1958 not a 59.
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/j-e-g-o-s-place/new-to-old-v-4-s-fat-50

Re:Fat 50 Performance 13 years 8 months ago #11476

Alot more seat of the pants power when you hit the throttle for starters. More top end as well at the price of fuel usage but its a classic so who cares! Make sure you prop it to the middle to top of the range at WOT and no more. Nice thing about that engine is that there are lots of props available. Another cool advantage of that engine is that when you want more power you can simply bolt on powerheads up to around 100hp.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)