TOPIC: Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out

Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out 11 years 2 months ago #74308

• WizardIII
  • WizardIII's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,
Title says it. I'm still researching these because I think want one. Does anyone have thoughts or info on the blocks rusting out (top cylinder mainly or....?). Has this been a common issue? I'm sure you couldn't tell without a tear down and I would assume salt water makes it more likely as well as not flushing. Just askin'.
Thanks, Steve
Talent, OR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out 11 years 2 months ago #74313

• billr
Steve,
Blocks rusted beyond service are usually only seen in saltwater areas, and especially the units with the recirculating water pump assy. The E model Grand Prix was the most susceptible since it used the recirc pump AND it had a stainless steel muffler. So with a cast iron block, aluminum manifold, then the ss muffler you made a nice battery with heated saltwater.
However, this condition is rare overall.
I have running motors if you are interested, and you're in a good area to find them locally too.
BillR

Re:Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out 11 years 2 months ago #74336

• WizardIII
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info Bill. If you are up near Seattle then I saw your web site and talked with you a while back. I don't think you had anything at the time plus I have family in Redding, CA. so I've been talking with 4 Cycle Marine. Nice folks but they don't seem to have late model 'F' blocks (that I've seen).
When you say recirc pump does that mean before they put the water inlet at the top of the block? Maybe I'm over thinking these motors but trying to ID them is getting complicated. I'm looking at what should be a 1966 (sn 2266211) which has the later (?) Boston Whaler logo hood but no 'A' or 'F' on the block. Can that be correct? Crossover years?
I might try to call you again but not sure how busy you are. Thanks again for any help.
Steve

Re:Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out 11 years 2 months ago #74341

• billr
Many engines have had powerhead/hood/lower unit swapped out, so I almost need pics anymore to see what someone "really" has.
If no A or F on the block, it did not have valve seat inserts from factory at least I've never seen it. Even the factory swing units had the A or F in the casting if running the seat inserts. However, it is possible someone installed them during a rebuild at the machine shop although chances slim.
Yes it is easy to over think these things. There are plenty of early blocks out there running just fine.
I have complete engines and parts galore, if interested call me direct.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out 11 years 2 months ago #74432

• WizardIII
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, swapping out parts makes sense and seems likely. I've seen that before. I imagine you are correct saying there are the older blocks running fine; maybe I'll relax my critique. I'd be real interested in what you have and hey, you're 'only' about 450 miles north.
Steve

Re:Homelite/Bearcat Block Rusting Out 11 years 2 months ago #74444

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Best running one I have is the '65. The '70 F block also runs good but so far doesn't troll as good as the '65

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate