• Page:

TOPIC: Picked up #11

Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23117

• gdanderson
  • gdanderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
With a tip from Bill Roberts I was able to pickup a 1966 Homelite that was located only 1.75 hours away from me. I have drove 19 hours round trip to pickup a motor. So if one is found near me I hate to pass it up.

This motor is the cleanest of any motor that I have ever come across with the exception of a "F" Model that I purchased from Bill. Although the cowling is not shown in the photo its in as good of shape as the motor. Compression at 185, 190, 165, 185. The gear case was off of it when I picked it up. It appears the owner was changing out the impeller and never finished. It shifts and rotates like it should so I am feeling good about the gear case. Drained the oils and made a few notes and put them in a file I create for each motor and will put it to bed waiting for a boat.

Thanks again Bill for the tip!!!!!

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23118

pretty lucky there Greg. Looks way clean. I have come across a couple over here but they are pretty pricy anymore.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23149

• billr
Great news Greg, happy to assist.
When he sent those pics I figured she was a winner.
Lots more available too.

I have to get a short shaft together for my Power Cat soon, but every single time I get one running it finds a new home!

Re:Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23177

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks like a nice one for sure! In my last batch which Bill also gave me the tip there was a '66. That was #8 for me. I find '66 strange as it was a transition year. My '66 has the late motor mounts with the extra mounting lug on the cam tower, the oil fill is in the crankcase and it is not an "A" block. My '65 has the oil fill on top of the block behind the distributor, last year in a batch of parts I bought I got an "A" block which also had the oil fill like the '65. Seems strange they would change the location of the oil fill to the crankcase and then go back to top of the block only to go back to the crankcase again??????

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23179

• gdanderson
  • gdanderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
4stroke you are right. The oil fill access is back on the top for 66. I however only have the two studs holding on the valve cover. This motor has the two water lines running out of the water pump. I will be removing the thermostat and blocking that off all together. Eliminating that water line from the water pump. Changing it back to a single water line. I like to remove the thermostat and eliminate the possible problem of a malfunction. For those that say the motor will run to cool and carbon up I say you are probably right. I run these motors early in the season in 40 degree water. But I run them for maybe 5 to 10 hours in those conditions and I feel this will have little to no impact.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23213

• billr
Good going Dick.
I am glad all of you are stacking these up so I don't feel so bad!
I think I'm up around 20ish again.
Having a storage shelter being built 11x24 right now.

(Also Dick, just picked up a couple rebuilt Merc long blocks for the inline sixes and just snagged a really late version 115hp. Even had the Auto Blend "oil injection" unit still connected. Going to transplant a fresh powerhead onto her. It will be just like the one Paul has but black with the transom bracket mounted power trim.
So later this year will be running an Evinrude, Merc, and a Bearcat.)

Re:Picked up #11 13 years 3 months ago #23219

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Greg, my '66 also has the two line waterpump but the the four lugs and the filler on the crankcase. I'm also noticing yours has the finned rectifier, mine has the two stud waterjacket mounted rectifier. Near as I can tell the engine "seems" original. It's like the first mod they made was the motor mounts before actually producing the "A" block engine.

Bill, I took mainly the junk he had and walked away from the rest, just don't have room. With the one complete (sort of :P ) and one of the powerheads I can build another. Then I have two extra early powerheads both with a bad valve. Those will be stored for a later date. So is another 115 going on the Salty? Paul is thrilled to have the 115 starting again, I put the starter back together on Christmas eve and told him Merry Christmas!!! He loves that engine!

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate