Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help me identify this boat

Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90070

Greetings from Sweden!

I´ve was hoping that you could help me identify my boat

I´ve come to the conclusion that my boat isn´t a Coronado or a Weedo

So my guess is that it´s a Glasspar G3 or a Fiber fleet f100

But I think it´s kinda farfetched to assume the boat to be an american made boat, it´s more plausible for it to be a Fiber fleet I guess?

To see my boat click on the link below, it´s to a swedish forum but noone seems to be able to help me there

www.maringuiden.se/forum/;thread=523033

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90072

Carl:

Welcome to the website Sir!

The pictures of your boat look to me like it is a 1959-1961
Glasspar G-3. It is definitely a "center deck model" and that is the years those G-3's were made. I have never heard of a "Fiberfleet" but maybe some of the other G-3 owners here have.

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90078

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
CARL, WELCOME. The two other 60's speedsters with side sponsons had the name of NYLOX & SPORTLINE. Your pic is indeed a center deck support hull.. Here is a LINK to a prior thread on G-3 style hulls.
One of the members comments on a DANISH Built G-3. !!! So it is possible you guys might discover a few unique manufacturing changes.?
Again prior discussion here www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/is-this-a-glasspar-g3#80165

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90110

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I hadn´t heard about Nylox & Sportline before.

What I do know though is that my boat isn´t a Weedo GT.
Wedo is a swedish boat, a total ripoff of the G3 but with a V-shaped hull. viewable here www.imagin.se/weedo/Register.htm

Then there´s the Coronado GT, which is also a swedish boat with a flat hull and a "mid-console" (correct term?) with gages.
Viewable here

api.ning.com/files/nbiFo*TjBGeWSIRmIOfW3yjUwmRJkHQ1T7efX6dlXCqvAe1vPkwqTOQlqna2f6WYsU8lVliomw-EqRJveKAfp1ROmIWW3nMY/DSCF1170.jpg

and here

api.ning.com/files/ZaTpUsbNUufzMLEyrBu329rPvlG3Zk0Dj2-AvAtRVjUUnTFLlzJmQYdx5pRPhfSao5rda-iY59mcPO5xmp0MVItKkZ0461ZQ/CoronadoGT.jpg

And then we have the Fiberfleet F100, I think it´s belgian (made with approved license from Glasspar?) It´s the same as the G3, only difference I´ve heard/seen about is the footrest

viewable here

www.storforsvarv.se/bildotext/f1007.jpg

and here www.storforsvarv.se/bildotext/f1006.jpg

And to make this even more confusing we have the Corall 14
same hull but the deck is, what´s the word, convex? (rounded)

viewable here www.maringuiden.se/images/users/standard/2752.jpg?1103122336

My boat seems to be stripped from all badges and trims, is there any other way for me to identify the boat? could I photograph something else to help you identify it?

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90111

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
WOW Carl , thanks for the pictures... That red WEEDO has quite a steep hull PAD if it is indeed 1965 .. Into the 70's Allison had
found that pad narrow surface..
The console CORONADO is quite same as a Glastron JETFLITE 14 ft.?
And later your rounded front deck CORELL is like the later GLASTRON METRIC series, to prolong the CVX closed nose models.

Again interesting, especially the side G-3 or F-1000 medillion badges, star-burst.. I believe some members can mail a reproduction to you , as maybe a Australian guy had the Machine code to die CUT new patterns. ?

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90113

I actully work in the "sign-business" I can do reproductions in vinyl, printed vinyl, metal (CNC), plastics and so on, all I would need is a vectorized image

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90114

They raced the Weedo´s in the 60´s with success

Link swedishclassicboats.ning.com/profiles/blogs/roslagsloppet-1968-weedo-gt

here´s some more interesting pics

swedishclassicboats.ning.com/profiles/blogs/fiberfleet-f100-eller-glaspar-g3

Also check out this link for some history about weedo gt, you can run it through google translate and ask me if it doesn´t translate certain words

www.livetombord.se/praktisktbatagande/artiklar/artiklar/20080220/weedo-gt-ett-hemmabygge-som-blev-bathistoria/

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90117

arrrgh! It posted twice!

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90118

Welcome Carl,

Quite interesting.

At the bow, there are two cast aluminium caps (painted red on your boat) which I believe only came on the ’59 Glasspar. These sit above the rubrail. There should be a wide V-shape casting under the rubrail as well (which lines up with the top two). I think that from 1960 and later these three pieces were changed to be one casting which covered the rubrail. (I stand to be corrected on this). When I get a chance I will see if I have pics.

The Glasspar rubrail was an aluminium extrusion with a rubber/plastic insert, whereas yours looks to be a bulkier PVC extrusion – but this could have been changed at some time more recently in the boat’s history

Your grab bars are mounted alongside the aft cockpit instead of the front, but I notice the end castings appear to be genuine Glasspar.

Lastly, the attached Jan ’61 advert for the FiberFleet F100 (sorry for the poor quality, I snitched it off the net somewhere) mentions other boats in their range (Lido, Avalon, Del Mar). These are names that Glasspar used and so Fiber Fleet could be one of the European Manufacturers which were licenced by Glasspar. Maybe they had use of the aluminium casting as well?
You can see the “V” casting high up at the bow, which I referred to in my first paragraph.

So, it is more likely to be a FiberFleet F100 … but could be a Glasspar G3.

I agree that it is not a Weedo or a Coronado.

Look under the deck for some I.D. numbers (possibly under the centre deck), or at the foot of the centredeck-leg, or even under the aftmost part of the deck. Some early Glasspars had them hidden in these places.

Others here may cast an opinion.
Ken.
Attachments:

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 2 months ago #90119

Now we´re getting somewhere!

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 1 month ago #90286

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 1 month ago #90290

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey thanks Carl That's some info I did not have.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 1 month ago #90412

Sadly, right now the nicest part of my boat is the boattrailer (wagon) ;)

What´s the correct order to tackle the obstacles of my renovation?

This is what I think:

1. Let it dry
2. Strip the boat from old screws, trimmings and miscellaneous parts
3. Split it in half, remove the hull from the deck
4. Have it "blasted" (not sure about the word in english)
5. replace the "transom", not sure about this word either, the wall in the back of the boat, "akterspegel" in swedish, direct translation "rearmirror" ;)

Does that sound right to you?

here´s a pic of my trailer btw

www.jensenenglund.se/images/products/thule/TR_T_B_PR_ST8518_004.jpg

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 1 month ago #90470

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Carl, Wet or dry you will want to remove all rotten and questionable wood.
1st remove the deck. Use an 1/8 drill bit to remove the pop rivets in the
aluminum rub rail. The factory rivets are 1/8 inch in the U.S. They are probably
a metric equivalent for your boat. Remove the aluminum rub rail with the
deck. measure the girth or distance between the rub rails that are still on the deck.
Cut two pieces of wood 2 X 2 or 1 X 2 to that distance and mount them on the hull to help keep the hull from separating.

You are correct the term over here is Transom. Always tackle the transom
first. In this picture you can see Mike and I working on my transom. please note the notched 2x2 used to hold the edge of the hull. you can also see the 2x4 we used to help pitch the 15 degree angle for the transom.

When you do the transom please remember that the sponsons are part of the original transom.

In the picture above you will see the first board in place. Many people have not removed the sponson covers and cleaned out this area. This area is prone to fail if not dealt with during restoration. Inside the sponson is a piece of 5/4 wood used to reinfore the sponson and it is tied to the transom for strength. When the boat is in the water this area at the transom is submerged and in peril of taking in water if not restored properly when the transom is done. Have you reviewed the resources over at g3owners.com?

I am preparing to repost my complete restoration over there on the g3 owner Association page.

Al
Attachments:

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Help me identify this boat 10 years 1 month ago #90475

That´s some really good info with Pictures and all!

No haven´t checked out g3owners.com, but I will now

Thanks Morris

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8265 guests and no members online