Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks?

How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88405

My boat needs a new transom, new floor, and new stringers. In other words a lot of work.

While the fiberglass is very straight, the deck, at least, has many spider cracks.

Your thoughts on how to address this issue, please.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88406

Another photo.
Attachments:

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88407

still, another photo.
Attachments:

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88412

Chris:

As I had said in one of your other threads on your G-3, all G-3's
have the "stress cracks" you have. The G-3's that have sat out in the weather seem alot worse to me. I would realy concentrate on getting the stringers, the floor and transom taken care of first.

Those "stress cracks" have to be thoroughly sanded down a pretty long way. We had some bad ones on our Seafair and a couple of them were very hard to fix. After the cracks are thoroughly sanded, we had to then "build up" over the cracks using a product called
"Fiberfill" by Evercoat. I have seen some of the cracks repaired using fiberglass resin and mat too. Having gone through it on our Seafair I can tell you it is a long process.

I am sure Al, Dean, Mike, Jeff and a few more of the G-3 owners can
also give you some advice on this. Hope this helps you some.

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88414

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88417

seabuddy

my 59 Crosby had those tiny spider cracks, they werent structural and I didnt think treating them the same way as a stress crack was the way to go, my entire top side was covered in them.

I addressed the obvious stress cracks properly, then I used 2 part epoxy and rolled a thick coat of epoxy over the entire topside, I sanded the epoxy layer, used spot putty on the remnants of the spider cracks then one more coat of epoxy thinned 50%(to soak into the spot putty)
I only gave her a cheapo paint job till I was sure the cracks were under control, including the stress cracks

had I known it would work so well I would have given it the $300 2 part epoxy paint job.

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88418

seabuddy

my 59 Crosby had those tiny spider cracks, they werent structural and I didnt think treating them the same way as a stress crack was the way to go, my entire top side was covered in them.

I addressed the obvious stress cracks properly, then I used 2 part epoxy and rolled a thick coat of epoxy over the entire topside, I sanded the epoxy layer, used spot putty on the remnants of the spider cracks then one more coat of epoxy thinned 50%(to soak into the spot putty)
I only gave her a cheapo paint job till I was sure the cracks were under control, including the stress cracks

had I known it would work so well I would have given it the $300 2 part epoxy paint job.
Attachments:

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88426

what brand spot putty? Your boat looks perfect.

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88434

Chris:

I have never used the products you posted those links to by "Interlux" but I am sure they would be fine.

Here is a link for you to the product we used:

www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=317

This product is made by "Evercoat" and is called "Fiberfill." To give you an idea of what some of the "spider cracks" and regular cracks looked like on our Seafair Sedan, here are some BEFORE and AFTER photos of the work we did on one area on the transom:

The first picture shows you a long crack on the lower right edge of the transom with the associated "spider cracks" above it. That long crack was DEEP and we had to sand down a long way to get all of it.

This second photo shows what the area looked like after we sanded, filled the area with the "Fiberfill" and then went over it with some fiberglass. For your information, we used "Dewalt"
Grinders along with air powered grinding tools to get the crack ground down using 80 grit paper and working up from there.

The area required more "buildup" than we thought, so we had to do a few "stages" with the fiberglass. In this third photo, you will see that the deep crack and the associated "spider cracks" above it are gone. We then used gelcoat to get a good surface for the final stages of repair. You don't have to use gelcoat Chris, you can also sand the areas smooth and then paint with a good marine product. I like "Awl Grip" and believe that is what Dean used on his 1959 G-3.
Attachments:

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88439

Sure looks pretty in that last photo. And thanks for the details and photos of your process on your boat.

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88441

seabuddy wrote:

Sure looks pretty in that last photo. And thanks for the details and photos of your process on your boat.

Your very welcome Chris! I tried to call you this morning but didn't get you. I will try to call back later this evening or
tomorrow.

Re:How fix crazing, weather caused, or spider cracks? 10 years 3 months ago #88468

Yup, glad to finally connect and for the first time in 2014!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)