Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: G3's, how many is too many?

G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84879

This is an addiction I think. I found another G3 in better shape that the one I just bought 2 weeks ago. Only $200 with motor and trailer. How can I pass it up, but I haven't seen it yet so I will see. After this I need to do something with these boats I seem to be collecting. Wish me luck.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84883

• LF76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Luck, Looks to be a great deal at 200.00!

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84886

minnesotafox wrote:

This is an addiction I think. I found another G3 in better shape that the one I just bought 2 weeks ago. Only $200 with motor and trailer. How can I pass it up, but I haven't seen it yet so I will see. After this I need to do something with these boats I seem to be collecting. Wish me luck.

Minnesotafox:

That does look like a pretty complete G-3! Please let us know what you find when you go to look at it. One thing is for sure, you can never have too many parts for our old G-3's. Just the "G-3 Stars" and some of the old hardware is getting VERY hard to find. It looks like that G-3 you are looking at has all those parts and more.

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84887

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
M.F. This Blue G-3 has to be a steal . even if the deck horns
& spotlight seem a tad big . They can bring good money on E-bay.
A bonus may be what you are showing for a Motor. ? That tall
outline has to be a six cyl Merc. & if on a G-3 must have a
SHORT mid-section & lower.? Those are bringing good money. !!
Give us a rear motor pic & year / model when you buy it.

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84995

Well I did buy the G3. I really like it but it does need some work of course. I bought it from the original owner, he told me the history of the boat which was nice. He had Larson replace the floor at some point and also paint the boat. He had swapped out a 90hp short shaft merc for the 80hp long shaft on it now which needed the rebuilt taller transom which is in bad shape.
He thought they bought it in 1962 but it's not a 62. So the question is "What year is it?" No tag I can find with serial number, etc. Floor replaced so no footrest to make it a 61. no glasspar logo on the back seat support,no holes for the logo, but it was repainted. On the 61 I have the dash is different than this boat. Did the change from year to year? This one has a upholstered top edge unlike the total dash upholstered as on my 61. Any thoughts? But regardless I really like this boat. I will try to add more photos.
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84996

The support, no logo.
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84997

It shines OK.
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #84998

Big enough for this boat I think.
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #85000

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
M.F. GREAT SCORE That is a clean rig for the $$ . The 2nd picture you are showing us with the center support from the rear view. I would un-screw the THREE bolt near the bottom floor.. Heard Glasspar
put a few serial # codes on the inside/ back of that plate for 59 !!
. Another front picture of the bow ring / rub rail black trim.
Some guys will know if your have the THREE piece bow trim .?
Maybe you have the ONE piece.

Again CONGRATS. Any front seat. ?? The dash boards were all local dealer install or buy. LIke the spotlight & horn items.

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 6 months ago #85110

• LF76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Great Boat for the money, you got a better deal than me.
Have you found the serial number yet?

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89877

Hi all,

Spring should be here soon. So I am still trying to figure what year my G3 is. From the attached photos can someone with more knowledge than me figure it out?
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89880

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Lonnie,

look under the center deck for a large washer with number on it. If there it is probably a 59, If not check the left gunwale for 4 small holes forming a rectangle. This is where 60 & 61 ID's were placed from my experience.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89894

On the center deck board that goes down to the floor (deck) look on the backside for the holes that the "Glasspar" metal emblem would have been attached. If they filled in those holes you would see them from back there. If they are there I would say you have a 1960.

I thought Al would have answered your main question…G3's how many is too many? I guess that question is rhetorical here on this board !! Haa!

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89899

minnesotafox:

Al and Mike have already given you some great advice on what to look for concerning the actual year of your G-3. I have added a photo here for you of our 1960 G-3 when it was being restored.
It will show you the location of exactly where that "metal Glasspar Plate" is located that Al was telling you about.

Here is the photo of our 1960 G-3 and the location of the original
Glasspar I.D. Plate:
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89917

Also check the aluminum trim at the base of the center deck support. Some '59 & '60 models have been found to have the numbers stamped on that trim. And... I think it was Split, who found his HIN on a washer attached to the transom eye. My '59 had the disc up under the centerdeck port side forward.

Also... you asked "...On the 61 I have the dash is different than this boat. Did the change from year to year?"

The dash on the 59-61 are all the same... I expect you are referring to the gauges & their placement? Normally these were installed by the dealers, not the factory... depending on what equipment was ordered.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89927

I have checked all the places people have pointed at looking with no luck. Is there a way to tell by looking at trim or other things? I remember reading about a 3 piece bow eye indicating something. The photo below is my other G3. The dash question is based on my '61 having the entire dash padded vertically with no gauges, the other has a small horizontal padded trim horizontally on the top.
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89933

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Lonnie,

Confused yet?? All the answers above are correct. Some manufacture plants did things different than others, some are early year models and some are transition models but you will never know which. and Mike is correct.
There is no number that can qualify as too many G3's I have 5 and still looking for more. A friend in VA Beach (Keith C.) has 6 and would like to sell a couple. But only a couple.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89938

minnesotafox wrote:

I have checked all the places people have pointed at looking with no luck. Is there a way to tell by looking at trim or other things? I remember reading about a 3 piece bow eye indicating something. The photo below is my other G3. The dash question is based on my '61 having the entire dash padded vertically with no gauges, the other has a small horizontal padded trim horizontally on the top.

minnesotafox:

Concerning your questions about the dash and padding, our 1960 G-3 is a "one-family" owned boat that my Dad ordered brand new in 1959. Our dash has the original white pleated type padding across it and is original to the boat, so that set-up was also done in 1960 on the G-3's.

Here is a photo of that:
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 2 months ago #89947

That is similar to how mine will look, yours is nicer than I could hope to have mine look. The photo shows it in it's current state, but I will change the upholstery to white. I love your boat by the way. Mine doesn't even say Glasspar on it so I think I will go with the sponson decals and make it look 59 like.
Attachments:

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 1 month ago #89958

The answer to the question "how many is too many?" You have too many when you own them ALL and won't share.

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 1 month ago #89971

So if your HIN number is missing, you have the registration numbers on the hull. Call up Minnesota's department of licensing. They can give you all the HIN information, who is holding the title (if you don't have it). I had my HIN, but no title. My boat had been registered in Idaho and in Oregon. So I called both state's department of licensing (DOL). Faxed them my bill of sale and photos of the boat... I am not sure what they did, but they got after the titled owner, who released the title in a matter of two days... and in a few weeks I had an Oregon title in my name. The title will certainly have the HIN on it. I have heard some states are hard to deal with, but Oregon and Idaho fell all over themselves to help me out.

Dean :)

P.S. you have too many boats when you have to park your car on the street to make room for the one you just brought home.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:G3's, how many is too many? 10 years 1 month ago #89982

minnesotafox wrote:

That is similar to how mine will look, yours is nicer than I could hope to have mine look. The photo shows it in it's current state, but I will change the upholstery to white. I love your boat by the way. Mine doesn't even say Glasspar on it so I think I will go with the sponson decals and make it look 59 like.

Lonnie:

Thanks for your kind words on our 1960 G-3! I appreciate it very much. I have to give my Dad all the credit for how nice the boat looks as it was ALWAYS garaged it's entire life and it never sat out in the rain or in the water except when we were using it.

But, you have a very nice G-3! It is in alot better shape than most of the old G-3's I see. And most all of the OEM parts are there like the G-3 "Starburts", the hardware etc. I know you will get yours restored or refurbished to excellent condition.

As far as the dash pad, we all can get you the measurements of the wood for that dash pad if you want to redo and then upholster it. As I said, ours is original to the boat, so let us know what you decide.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7075 guests and 2 members online