Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: pinstripe/decal removal

pinstripe/decal removal 10 years 6 months ago #84136

What is the best/easiest/least expensive way to remove a lot of pinstriping and decals? I know there are probably 3 answers to that question. I just picked up this rough 1961 G3 and would like to eliminate the clutter. Thanks for your help.

Lonnie
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:pinstripe/decal removal 10 years 6 months ago #84139

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Lonnie, glad to have you join us. I've had pretty good success using a heat gun (or hair dryer) to warm up the adhesive, then use a razor blade to get stuff like that off. Just go easy on the heat, I understand it can cause problems with the gel coat if you get it too hot. (Also want to wear a glove on the hand you're using the razor blade with, it helps to keep from burning your fingers!) :)

Any residue left behind can be cleaned up with mineral spirits, "goo away" or similar products.

Mark

Re:pinstripe/decal removal 10 years 6 months ago #84199

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Lonnie, and welcome to the crew. Mark is correct on removing them using heat and a razor blade. My concern would be if your deck is painted. The paint may blister. But the hairdryer worked for me. There are solvents but looking at your deck you will need a lot of solvent. Plus solvents never work well for me. Approach it with caution and I am sure you will do just fine.
Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:pinstripe/decal removal 10 years 6 months ago #84203

I would highly recommend these plastic razor blades vs metal. www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=plastic+razor+blades&page=GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=plastic_razor_blades They work very well with little or no heat. Looks like you have a lot of stripes, heat will save time. I've used them for many things because they do not harm the surface.

Re:pinstripe/decal removal 10 years 6 months ago #84228

Thanks for the all the great ideas. I'm going to West Marine to get the plastic razor blades, steal my wife's hair dryer and give it a try. The sponsons have decals too so I think I will tackle them first and see how it goes. Thanks again and any further ideas are welcome.

Lonnie

Re:pinstripe/decal removal 10 years 5 months ago #84582

• LF76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Lonnie,
One more small pieces of advice. With all that stripeing to strip buy your own hair dryer. Both my Xes told me the same thing! I didn't listen. LOL, Have a Great Weekend and Welcome.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)