• Page:

TOPIC: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'.

Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76270

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Happy Spring (If there be Spring where you live.....in Michigan..not so much..

Has anyone used the Taco Aluminum Rub Rail to replace the rub rail and insert on a 60 G3? My original isn't in the best of condition and am thinking about replacing it....

Any thoughts appreciated....

Kerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76281

HMMMM if you dont use the factory rubrail you will have to bond the hull to the top. I have 2 rails Im not using. not sure of cond at this point, I bonded one of my G3s together, Im in centeral IN.....

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76326

Like PonyBoy,...I have a set of original aluminum rub-rail sets for a dual cockpit g3 that simply need replacement rubber molding to be good-to-go.
I'm in the Great PNW, so if I'm close enough to justify pick up at my Mercury Magic Shop,...The price will definitely be right for you.
If I was to need to box and ship,...The rules change.
I'm sure that if requested,...Someone here can explain where to purchase new replaceement rubber inserts for the molding.
Doc F

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76330

• deac1234
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ponyboy wrote:

HMMMM if you dont use the factory rubrail you will have to bond the hull to the top. I have 2 rails Im not using. not sure of cond at this point, I bonded one of my G3s together, Im in centeral IN.....

I wasn't aware that the rubrail held the hull to the top. Learn something new each day. I'll have to take a closer look at it when the weather warms up...(IF it warms up!)

Kerry

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76331

• deac1234
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:
If I was to need to box and ship,...The rules change.
I'm sure that if requested,...Someone here can explain where to purchase new replacement rubber inserts for the molding.
Doc F

That brings up a question. How many pieces make up the rubrail??

My boat is in storage, not close by, completely wrapped up so it will be a while before I can get it back home, hence my question..?

Kerry

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76339

On my '59 there were 3 pieces... two long ones that run the whole length of the boat... and a little short one that installs on the center of the bow.

Kerry, mine looked like crap when I did Bandit's restoration. discolored, scuffed, dings, rotten rubber. I removed the anodizing (soaked them in a Drain-o bath) hand sanded with 400 paper (started with 200 paper on really bad dings/scuffs), then polished... they came out looking pretty good. I sealed them with a wipe-on coat of Penetrol. Bought new rubber from Wefco and they look like new.

As Ponyboy says, they hold the hull/deck together... almost 80 1" pop rivets that go through the outer rail, deck, hull, inner rub rail. The biggest part of the job is getting the deck off to get them out. :S And if you are going that far... you probably want to polish all the aluminum trim pieces too... and if you are doing that, then you will want to... [insert list here] :lol:

Cheers

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76340

Now that I think about it some more... its not that bad to pop the deck... drilling out the 80-ish rivets was the biggest pain... and there was old tired glue in the channels where the fiberglass is held into the rail... I just rigged up some pulleys, boards and rope and raised it slowly... working on the stuck areas with a little light prying and kept lifting until it came loose.
Attachments:

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76347

• deac1234
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
80 pop rivets huh...ok..

Did you re-pop rivet it back together..?

Re: Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76373

Yep, twice.

At first I used 3/16" x 7/8" pop rivets... while the first ones grabbed properly, found that almost half of them didn't grab the inside channel completely... after I finished. So I drilled all the little bastards back out, and popped the deck back off so I could vacuum the drill shavings out the RR channels... Live and learn. Be sure to buy 1" pop rivets... found on eBay.

Re:Happy Spring....rub rail 'Q'. 10 years 11 months ago #76784

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Kerry.... I [posted a photo and place where to buy the exact replacement .. ..I still have a lot of it left .. but I don't think it will go all the way around .. I'll search the board for my post ..Tony

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)