Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello!

Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68338

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself - my name is Dave Molnar and I'm using the name of one of my boats ("Classical Glass") as my forum ID ( I also own boats called "Bad News" and "Short 'n Sweet" ).

I joined the group recently but have been a boat nut all my life, having bought my first boat at 16 (a Crestliner Mustang) in 1965. I have owned approx. 20 boats since then and currently have five in my fleet but they are mostly family boats which we use at our Muskoka cottage (just norh of Toronto in Canada).

I have had the classic boat bug for a long time - I love old glass and wood boats - and I'm currently interested in buying a Glasspar G3.

I would also be interested in buying a couple of the G3 T-shirts which I have seen mentioned in some posts - would appreciate any leads with respect to getting those and would also appreciate all leads regarding G3's currently available for purchase.

Looking forward to learning much from those of you who already have experience with G3 boats and to meeting some of you in my travels to boat shows, meets, etc.

I am also deeply involved in the classic car hobby and have a small collection of "Total Perfromance" era Fords.

Regards to all,

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68391

Hey Dave, welcome!

There are a few of us G3'ers out here in the Pacific NW... I'm the guy who does the G3 T-shirts... would be happy to help you out there. I have been selling those throught the www.GlassparG3.com site.

Now don't listen too much to the NUT over there... The best G3s are Mercury powered... heh. There is quite a rivalry between the G3 Merc and OMC camps... but its all in good fun.

I am waist deep in the classic glass... I currently running a G3, Crestliner Explorer, Rayson-Craft outboard, Glasspar Avalon and a not so classic Bayliner Explorer.

I am running a 1959 G3 centerdeck, built in Santa Ana... hull #225. All 59 G3's were built in Santa Ana (the first production year) and in 1960 they were produced at all the US Glasspar plants.

I see you posted over on the GlassparG3.com site, but I havent read all the propoganda that NUT dished out yet... again, get out your salt shaker! Team Merc will give you the straight story...heh.
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68396

Dave, Welcome to the G-3 world!! Nothing better!!

Now CALL 1-850-421-1604 and ask for Bill. He has a Glasspar G-3 For Sale and his son Wade has another G-3 for sale as well. Both have been restored and are nice. Boats are in N. Florida.

Jim Savage

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68413

Tried a few times to send you a PM regarding T-shirts on the G3 owners site but it gives me a message that "the requested users to be added do not exist". Not sure what to do about that.

D

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68415

Thanks for the lead(s) - I called the number you gave me and left a voice mail a few minutes ago.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68431

Welcome to the website Dave! ;)

Here is a photo of our 1960 Glasspar G-3 which has been in our family since my Dad bought it new way back in 1959! They are great little boats!

Dean can definitely fix you up with some of his great looking G-3 T-Shirts! IMHO, they are the nicest G-3 T-Shirts I have ever seen and he can tell you I bought several from him! :laugh:

Post some pictures when you finally get your G-3.
Attachments:

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68593

I've seen a remarkable number of these boats now (i'm amazed at how many there are still on the water or available for restoration) but have not found the right combination of boat and price yet - but I'm getting close.

That red '60 is beautiful!

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68677

classicalglass wrote:

I've seen a remarkable number of these boats now (i'm amazed at how many there are still on the water or available for restoration) but have not found the right combination of boat and price yet - but I'm getting close.

That red '60 is beautiful!

Dave:

Thank you for your kind words on our 1960 Glasspar G-3! ;)

My Dad bought our boat brand new way back in 1959! After he passed away in 2000, he left the boat to me. So,..this G-3 is a very rare ONE FAMILY OWNED boat. Fortunately, the boat had been garaged it's entire life and the only thing we had to do was a minor "refurbish" to get it back to almost original condition. We did however install a newer outboard motor mainly because I could not find anyone where we live that could work on or maintain one of the older 1960's outboard motors. The red gelcoat is all original except for the splashwell which had to be repainted due to cracks in it.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68957

If you are looking for a full restoration project, I have one I am willing to part with.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68958

yes, I'm interested - can you send a few pics and price?

Tks.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68986

If Just letting you know up front, this is a project, it needs a FULL restoration. The hull is in good shape, but the deck has a little impact damage on the bow and is spider webbed. The sole, transom, and most likely the stringers will need to be replaced. There is no interior, although I have the bottom brackets to the original seat, I do not have the upper half of the brackets. The Merc (71ish 650 Thunderbolt) needs the lower end fixed as well as a couple of motor mounts need to be welded back together again. The motor will also need to be rewired to be reliable. I was thinking around $400, or make an offer.
Attachments:

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68987

Here is a picture of the inside. The splash well in in tacked, but is in the worst shape glass wise of the boat. The picture the splash well will follow this post. It does have a custom raised and adjustable motor mount though. You can see it in the picture.
Attachments:

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68988

Here is the splash well.
Attachments:

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68989

What year is your boat and where are you/the boat located? I assume the trailer is included - is it capable of carrying the boat any distance?

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #68994

What year is your boat and where are you located? I assume the trailer is included - is it capable of carrying the boat any distance?

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69022

I am located just North of Grand Rapids, MI (about 20 min drive). Yes, the trailer is included and I believe it is capable of traveling. I bought new tires for it before I picked it up from the previous owner in the same condition you see it is in now. Before I brought it home, I rewired the lights and re-packed the wheel bearings. Once I got it home, I put the old junk tires back on it for storage and it has basically sat ever since. I have owned it now for 4 years. The trailer has not seen water since the re-pack of the bearings.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69027

Do you know what year of manufacture the boat and trailer are?

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69037

The boat is a 1961. The Trailer as best I could read on the ID plate is a 1960 Tee-Nee.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69041

Would you please send me a direct email/PM to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ?

Tks,

Dave

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69069

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
:( Wade, what happened to the seats, trash? thought you saved them for pattern. You didn't mention its a original red top deck, not that many around?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69143

Hi Dave, I to just joined. Was getting ready to sell my G-3 I have had for 20 years or so. Googled Glasspar G-3 and didn't know there was such a following of the little boat. I bought this boat from my cousin about 25 years ago or so. Being a paraplygic It was low and easy to get in and out of. But it is in great shape. I am 53 now and my wife just isn't into boating. Anyway hate to sell but haven't really taken out much more anymore and would like to see go to a home that loves G-3's. Had rotator cuff surgery last year and hard to even get around on crutches anymore. You can see ad in Glassifieds or Kansas City craigslist.
Thanks,
Kevin Smith

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69146

Here is a video of my baby. see on you tube.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69368

Bill, I got it without any seats. All I ever had was the lower hardware. ya, I didn't mention the fat it was an original red deck/white hull boat. This boat now belongs to Dave as soon as I get home and he comes tow's it away. I am very happy I found someone to restore it as I just do not have time due to my working situation.

Re:Hello! 11 years 7 months ago #69387

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Wade guess I was thinking of another g3 red top, same interior as yours was supposed to have but shaggy? Too bad you just didn't have the time but it seems there's more of these g3's around than we ever thought possible if you deside later to get another? TC, Bill

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7893 guests and no members online