Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original)

1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54274

• bailey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am a boat dealer in S.C.(SINCE 1946)family owned/operated. Just bought an original rigged 62' G-3 62 75 Johnson, Cox Trailer that originated in Arden N.C. with owners manuals, This one is configured with 2 fiberglass seat shells/cushions, port seat has bronze release rack that rotates from front to rear to allow ski observer. I have traded some G-3'S in the past, but never one like this. the stern is open w/ storage beneath splashwell(for gas tank/batt. Can anyone enlighten me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54279

WoW, we need LOT OF PICS!!!!! Most here like the center deck mdls, But I like the open deck.
Im not sure of your question though.

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54324

This is bailey's boat.
Attachments:

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54325

Attachments:

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54326

Attachments:

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54327

Any info would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54328

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That looks to be the 1963 with the flip passenger ski seat. Flip it forward for cruising flip it rear facing to spot skiers.
Why can't I ever find them in this shape? Nice get for sure. Enjoy it greatly.

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54332

WOW I love it, open decks are my favorite also. What a find!!!!! SS

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54334

• bailey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your response. The mid decks were evidently the ones that I've traded. I was unaware that Glasspar built this open deck model. It is titled as a 62. Thank you.

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54335

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..Bailey,,M.M.: GREAT Post / PICS. CONGRATS. Who ever let that gal get out of North Carolina. ?? We are over in Chattanooga , Tenn & have 3 centerdecks under restoration... Would like to talk more to ya, Had a small rally here last summer..
Yes in 62 - 67 the layout was open . Heard Glasspar made no units in 64 . Our Orlando member Gary S. has a LIght Blue with these ski , flip seats.. You may want to search your build code , small brass tag , as I think you have a unit built in MICHIGAN, company had a one year run ( 62 ) from that facility , I believe.? ...Some of the Speedsters we found have the " N " code for Nashville , with two as 59's . ONe Original Owner ,

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54353

This G3 I recently got is the same configuration as Bailey's.Its got the flip flagman seat, but the drivers seat is missing.I'll be lucky to find that one. I thought mine was a 66.serial no. is 13xw2066.
Attachments:

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54361

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
nope 62/3 era with the flip seat. 66 they had the back to back lounge type seats

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 3 months ago #54453

bailey wrote:

I am a boat dealer in S.C.(SINCE 1946)family owned/operated. Just bought an original rigged 62' G-3 62 75 Johnson, Cox Trailer that originated in Arden N.C. with owners manuals, This one is configured with 2 fiberglass seat shells/cushions, port seat has bronze release rack that rotates from front to rear to allow ski observer. I have traded some G-3'S in the past, but never one like this. the stern is open w/ storage beneath splashwell(for gas tank/batt. Can anyone enlighten me?

WOW, Bailey, that one is a BEAUTY!!!!! FYI, both the open and centerdeck models had "storage beneath the splashwell" so not sure what the G3's you had "traded in the past" were, but possibly modified by a previous owner?
LOVIN the JOHNSON 75 V4..... think thats the same engine Jim Savage used to HUMILIATE the Mercs with, back in his faster days..... HA! Also, I think the 62's were the first year Glasspar went to fiberglass stringers, so one less thing to be concerned about....
So, is this one a KEEPER for you, are you gonna put it up for sale?
If you keep it, WELCOME to our world! If you put up for sale, this is ALSO the place to be! Win-win situation for you! HA!
NUT

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 2 months ago #54901

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I restored a 62 so know the construction, and I have a few suggestions to keep yours healthy. As a side comment the seat covering is not quite to original, they have pleats in the center section, at least all the originals I have seen including mine was that way...that said the boat is BEAUTIFUL.
62/63 G-3's are nearly identical. No G3 in 64 it was replaced by the Super G, it then came back in 65.
62 had fiberglass stringers, but, still had a 1/4 inch plywood, (unprotected on underside) floor. the side panels covering the sponsons is 1/4 also unprotected on inside. Transom was not protected under floor either.
To save your self from a restore if all the wood is good it might be a good idea to do some preventative work.
To save a good transom:
I'll bet the Johnson has lag bolts on the lower portion of the transom bracket, where these are under the floor and "blind" bolts/nuts could not be used like the top ones. Water WILL get in and start rotting the transom, so remove the motor to re-bed all the fasteners in 3M 5200, silicone does not seal bare wood well at all. Clean the holes as best you can prior to rebedding.
With motor off remove the trim piece along the transom top and remove the splashwell, these cover BARE plywood edge of the transom top. Remove the top and side trim on the left and right deck/transom area, now you can lift the inside of the deck a bit and access the bare plywood edges of the transom under the deck. All this bare edge should be sealed with epoxy. When cured the splashwell and deck sides can be sealed to it with silicone this time where bare wood is now covered and you can remove if needed, if you use 5200 it'll not come apart again. I'd use the silver or clear silicone. Use 5200 on all fasteners reinstalling the trim. Trim cna be sealed with silicone.
Remove the transom eyes and re-bed with 5200.
To save side panels covering sponsons:
Notice the sponsons bulge out but the inside in the cockpit, behind them is flat, this is 1/4 inch panel of plywood
The side sponson rubrails have to come off and all fasteners should be sealed with 5200. Check for cracks under the rub rail here from a dock hit etc. any leak will get into the sponson area and rot the side boards. I would also put a 1 to 2 inch hole through the side boards, down near where it meets the transon/floor, under the splashwell area wo it's hidden and up high enough so if water gets in th ecockpit it won't run in and soak all the bare wood behind. This will let that area breath behind the sponsons. NOTE: Wood on transom in this area is also bare! Not much atrtention to detail when these were built!

The drain plug sleeves are also trouble. Water will wick right in between the sleeve and the wood and wick into the wood, the sleeves are not really sealed to the wood, they are just a tight fit. These should come out, they deform easily with a pick, to remove, then enlarge the holes slightly, seal wood with epoxy and then install new sleeves sealed in with 5200, the enlaged holes leaves room for a 5200 film around the diameter, otherwise the tight fit wipes it all off on install.
I think now everything that would reside underwater or be subject to getting wet during use is re-sealed.
I would also put a 6 or 8 inch deck plate on the small under bow floor area so the area under the floor can ventilate when cover of deckplate is removed.
This leaves you with all the original unsealed wood the factory gave us but pretty much will insure the wood will not get wet or at least give it a way to dry out.
Good luck and enjoy, they are a blast.
Randy

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 2 months ago #54937

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the thorough run down. I've just removed all of the flooring and stingers on my '60 G-3. Your detail gives me some important direction.

One question. My boat has what appears to be hex lag screw driven into the back of both sponsons just inboard of the rear corner. Has anyone else seen these? They look like pseudo drain plugs intended to cope with persistent leaking or sweating. You vent hole suggestion seems like it would solve the sweating issue. Can't believe Glasspar left so much unfinished wood where you can't see it!

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 2 months ago #54940

My G3 has open drain hole in the location you describe. This winter I shoved aquarium pump tubing in them, hooked to an aquarium air pump... i figured if there was any residual moisture in there, it would dry out over the months. The sponson edge rub rail is screwed into wood, the transom wings that extend into the sponson are wood and the surface interior to the sponson is plywood...

I would pull those plugs out and open up he holes.

Dean ;)

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 2 months ago #55008

• bailey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Randy, thank you for your advise. I've noticed the lag bolts have embedded some. Since I'm a dealer, I most likely will keep it under wraps, Just tuned the motor. We were Glastron dealers for 45 yrs. and Mercury since 1953. I happened upon this boat in Hendersonvill,N.C. It had no side panels. I also have a 74' GT-160(ORANGE/WHITE).but needs stringers/floor work. It's on the original Wesco trailer. for sale: $1095.

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 2 months ago #55052

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Bailey! Randy was not speaking of side panels like the storage pocket type. Glasspar used 1/4 ply as side panels to close off the sponsons. In your boat they are glassed over and painted with the zola-tone paint still.
Awesome boat!!
Jim

Re:1962 G-3 ,75 Johnson,Cox Trailer (all original) 12 years 2 months ago #55244

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Yup, I am refering to the glassed over 1/4 ply that closes off the sponsons, a great place for moisture to be trapped adn start the rotting process of this panel and the exposed transom in this area.

SnornZ: You may be in luck on that drivers seat, I have collected a few extras while looking for other parts for my 64 Super G and my 63 G3, both of these have the glass buckets.
I moved and now sure where I squirled them away. I shrink wrapped my future projects with their parts inside, not sure which one they wound up in. I know the extras had no tilt hardware but that sounds like what you need. I would only let one go if it is going to a correct restoration/original boat, otherwise it would be a waste of a correct hard to find part.
Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8864 guests and no members online