Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trim Tabs!

Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42407

Hey guys... I read in the post regarding jack plates that some were inquiring about trim tabs. Without changing the subject matter of that previous post too much, I thought I'd start a new thread and share my experience.

Last summer was the first year with my recent '60 G3 project boat complete. I struggled finding the best setup... props, cavitation plate height, engine tuning and porpoising. While I am still working on several of these, :angry: My porpoising problem is GONE. I read a lot over the winter about what was available and I made a decision to try a set of "smart tabs" this spring. Nothing shy of perfect for a G3. Basically, they use a nitrogen charged shock to continuously adjust themselves. At idle they are low and as you increase speed, they lift up, but constantly keep pressure so the bow stays down. Not only do they help me get on plane with several passengers in the boat but bouncing is essentially gone. It may bounce slightly just at the point where I am trimmed too high anyway and I start to drop speed.

As for comments about them scrubbing speed... I didn't experience that as I don't have to back off to save my gut any longer. It runs out to about 40 with no bounce.

Check out their website if you have interest, and I'll try to post a few pics in the next day or two.

www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm

Later!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42446

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
:laugh: I've been saying it for years but all you can do is leed a horse to water as they say... Mine are fixed. do you have a pic of them installed on the g3? Which size did you pic, the 8x9 seems right for g3's?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42471

Like G3BILL, I also am a believer in trim tabs, but like MADPROP said, "fixed" tabs in the down position will kill top end speed. I have no experience with the "smart"(?) tabs Dan is using. I have always used electric or hydraulicly ($$$) ADJUSTABLE trim tabs on my boats. I prefer having driver control over their position, full DOWN for pulling skiers and getting on plane quickly, (Jim S. will happily share a picture he has of what happened when I tried to pull a skier WITHOUT the tabs.... HA!) some place in the middle for cruising and efficient hull ride attitude irregardless of where people or the 300lb beer cooler is placed in the boat, and full, UP, UP and AWAY for blowing past any MERCs that get too close for comfort!!! Its also GREAT having INDEPENDENT L-R adjustment to correct any list condition caused by the awesome prop TORQUE of a MIGHTY OMC V4!!!
So, Thom.....what trim tabs did you end up gettin? Maybe now, you won't have to "castrate" WILD THANG to enjoy it..... HA!
NUT

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42628

LOVE my Smart Tabs!!

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #42629

NUT,
I put a set of manually pumped hydraulics on Wild Thanggg.
Basically a 'Dole' pump like ponyboy's 'power trim' system, with isolator valves so I can pump them up separately.
Not the best system by far, but I've had the bits-n-pieces laying around for quite a while and thought I would fabricate something up to see if it would be worth springing for a set on LENCO trim tabs like you have.
I'm not convinced yet as Wild Thanggg has a total mind of its own after hitting 60 MPG (gps).
I can eliminate the mid-range porpoising for sure, but so far - no matter what I try - Wild Thanggg gets REAL spooky fast as we pass the 60 MPH mark.
Consistent 64 MPH readings with one wild run that showed a peak speed of 76 MPH GPS, after I dropped the nose just long enough to kill the chine-walking and then just let the RPMs go until the chine-walking returned with a vengence as the bow got higher and higher.
I knew it was a fast run, but I'm not sure I believe 76 MPH and haven't been able to duplicate it since.
I've been told that there is less area than the size of a dinner plate in the water just before things get real lively and I need to state to the younger enthusiasts,...Don't try this at home!
I'm trying one more thing before I accept the factoid that my lil G3 needs to be a wee bit slower to be fun again.

Why didn't you call me back the other day NUT????
Thom

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42632

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Jeff are the tabs on the g3? Haven't seen a pic of that boat for a while so wonder?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42634

g3bill wrote:

Jeff are the tabs on the g3? Haven't seen a pic of that boat for a while so wonder?

No, the Challenger(soon to be on the Turd also).

I'd put a set on a G3 in a heartbeat though! They work fantastic and really do make a noticeable improvement in just about every category. Fully automatic... set it(tune it) and forget it.

Now, I can't really compare them to a pricey hydraulic setup, but for 129 bucks, they are a bargain considering what they give you. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better way to make a boat handle and perform better for a similar amount of money.

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42677

Personaly I dont like the trim tabs, If ya need them your hull has problems and maybe ya just outta slow it down If, your doing the tabs for a spd problem. But thats just MY opinion. Most boats can be fixed by repairing the last 3-10" of the hull. Reggie had a lousy chinewalk and some porpous issues,solid mounts on the engine took care of that, I built it with a lite hook in the back 4', Ugly peg has a pad and chinewalks on occasion but I believe its a weight dist. issue because it dosent do it all the time,in fact it didnt do it at all with the McCulloch 75 or the 950 merc shorty but with the 1250 it has done it a few times and it runs in the low 60s, prop size is of concern on peg at this point, I would like to find and run a cleaver type prop and see if that will be the fix im lookin for. absolutly no porpous on the Peg and she has one heck of a hook on her hull.......lol.....we have had the hook vrs rocker talk before but..........rocker is when you have a high spot in the hull half way back or further, a hook is when you have a depression. Most G3s that porpous have a rocker type hull. And that can be repaired very easy.....unless it real pretty and ya just dont want to ruin the gel-paint.
Attachments:

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #42685

Im goin to lokk in the vult for some rocker pics,

ok in this shot you can see where I built up the last few ft of the hull, this boat would have rocked like john Cougar if I didnt build up the last few ft of hull
Attachments:

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #42737

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

NUT,
Basically a 'Dole' pump like ponyboy's 'power trim' system, with isolator valves so I can pump them up separately.
Not the best system by far, but I've had the bits-n-pieces laying around for quite a while and thought I would fabricate something up to see if it would be worth springing for a set on LENCO trim tabs like you have.
I'm not convinced yet as Wild Thanggg has a total mind of its own after hitting 60 MPG (gps).
I can eliminate the mid-range porpoising for sure, but so far - no matter what I try - Wild Thanggg gets REAL spooky fast as we pass the 60 MPH mark.
Consistent 64 MPH readings with one wild run that showed a peak speed of 76 MPH GPS, after I dropped the nose just long enough to kill the chine-walking and then just let the RPMs go until the chine-walking returned with a vengence as the bow got higher and higher.
I knew it was a fast run, but I'm not sure I believe 76 MPH and haven't been able to duplicate it since.
I've been told that there is less area than the size of a dinner plate in the water just before things get real lively and I need to state to the younger enthusiasts,...Don't try this at home!
I'm trying one more thing before I accept the factoid that my lil G3 needs to be a wee bit slower to be fun again.

Thom

OK....I'm just a NUT, but you guys are certifiably INSANE! I can't decide who is crazier...FRANKENMERC/WILD THANG, or ShortShaft WEHUNT/WIDOW....either one-76mph in a g3 is asking for trouble, trim tabs or not!!!! Reminds me of the old North American X-15 rocket plane stories, with the test pilots pushing it to get just one more MACH number....to the point the skin was burning off the fuselage!!!! :ohmy:
Anywho...
Back in the 60's, my Dad built a similar, hydraulic trim tab set up as you described, except his werent independently adjustable- they were both actuated by a single rod running across the transom under the splashwell of our old Glen-L Rebel flatbottom. He used an automotive clutch master, foot pedal assembly, slave cylinder, and an assortment of lines and linkages he had in the garage to engineer a pretty effective and reliable system! If you wanted the plates down, you pumped the foot pedal until the desired ride attitude was reached, then, for "Merc hunting" you cracked open a hydraulic bleed off lever and the spring loaded plates would pull up instantly, and the hull would FLY out of the water with his shiny, new, 1969 Evinrude Starflite 115 supplying the torque! :woohoo:
Good times.....
ehhhh....Thom? :unsure: If you called, and/or I was supposed to return a call, I never heard or got your message....sorry!
NUT
Attachments:

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #42777

NUT,
I called a 707-478- cel number I have for you.
Please write direct with your phone numbers.
The ones I have must be either old or incorrect.
Thanks,
Thom

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #43213

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

NUT,
I called a 707-478- cel number I have for you.
Please write direct with your phone numbers.
The ones I have must be either old or incorrect.
Thanks,
Thom

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! cell phone????? thats funny!!!!
check your email......
NUT

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #43214

glassparnut wrote:

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

NUT,

Thom

OK....I'm just a NUT, but you guys are certifiably INSANE! I can't decide who is crazier...FRANKENMERC/WILD THANG, or ShortShaft WEHUNT/WIDOW....either one-76mph in a g3 is asking for trouble, trim tabs or not!!!! Reminds me of the old North American X-15 rocket plane stories, with the test pilots pushing it to get just one more MACH number....to the point the skin was burning off the fuselage!!!! :ohmy:
Anywho...
Back in the 60's, my Dad built a similar, hydraulic trim tab set up as you described, except his werent independently adjustable- they were both actuated by a single rod running across the transom under the splashwell of our old Glen-L Rebel flatbottom. He used an automotive clutch master, foot pedal assembly, slave cylinder, and an assortment of lines and linkages he had in the garage to engineer a pretty effective and reliable system! If you wanted the plates down, you pumped the foot pedal until the desired ride attitude was reached, then, for "Merc hunting" you cracked open a hydraulic bleed off lever and the spring loaded plates would pull up instantly, and the hull would FLY out of the water with his shiny, new, 1969 Evinrude Starflite 115 supplying the torque! :woohoo:
Good times.....
ehhhh....Thom? :unsure: If you called, and/or I was supposed to return a call, I never heard or got your message....sorry!
NUT

WHO IS THAT HANDSOME CAPTAIN STUD???? HA! NUT

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #43215

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
its tough looking at pictures of the old days isn't it Nut!?!?!? HA!!!! I was handsome once too!
Attachments:

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #43394

glassparnut wrote:

glassparnut wrote:

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

NUT,

Thom

Anywho...
Good times.....
NUT

WHO IS THAT HANDSOME CAPTAIN STUD???? HA! NUT

yep, Jim.....the years go by, the body aches, the hair gets thin, and the skin wrinkles up like a prune, but under that rough and weatherbeaten exterior, were all still the same "kids" we were in those old photos!!!! STILL huntin Mercs, with our BIG BLOCK V4 OMC's.....HA!
NUT

Re:Trim Tabs & the Sound Barrier! 12 years 7 months ago #43397

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
agreed. was the tach housing coming out of the fwd deck something your dad made?
Attachments:

Re:Trim Tabs! 12 years 7 months ago #44642

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
For those that haven't seen a Step N' Trim tabs (nla), found this pic on a site. Think they made about 3 sizes and can only be found used as far as I know. Most don't like fixed ones I guess but good enough for yours truley, g3bill :)
Attachments:

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7336 guests and one member online