Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Speaking of new G3 owners,...

Speaking of new G3 owners,... 12 years 7 months ago #42079

I snagged this old dual cockpit G3 from Cap'n Jack a while back and was going to part it out, but my son-in-law voiced an interest in it.
So-o-o-o,...After giving the transom a close inspection, I installed one of my MANY smooth running Mercury O/Bz, installed a decent TeliFlex helm and cable, and build some get-r-by seat frames so he could use it.
It isn't the quickest G3 around, but the little 50 hp 4 cyl is sure a smooth running little sweetie.
It sounds like he will be restoring the hull this winter with the help of his Firemen/EMT buddies, so I'll be adding an electric start, etc to the Merc.
He never did quit grinning and my daughter looked very pleased with the lil beater G3 too.
It sure was a LOT more relaxing zooming around in this G3 with sensible HP, compared to busting the Sound Barrier in Wild Thanggg.
Thom
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Speaking of new G3 owners,... 12 years 7 months ago #42085

I tend to agree with you. Our G-3s were designed for 60hp. In their day the 75 OMCs and
80hp Mercurys were the maximum power you could buy. A G-3 will run very well with
that much HP. Much more starts to become over kill. If you can get a G-3 to run in the
mid to upper 40s with 80hp or less you have a well set up G-3. Most likely as much fun or more
than a point and shoot high powered G-3.

John
Attachments:

Re:Speaking of new G3 owners,... 12 years 7 months ago #42086

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
.....and another "Glassic fanatic" is born!......

It sure was a LOT more relaxing zooming around in this G3 with sensible HP, compared to busting the Sound Barrier in Wild Thanggg.

Love the thought process there Thom, you don't teach a kid to drive and turn them loose in a ZR-1 Corvette! LOL Your S.I.L. has a great mentor, I'm sure he'll do just fine. ;)

Mark

Re:Speaking of new G3 owners,... 12 years 7 months ago #42091

That is pretty slick Thom, good for you. Great to see you sitting in a boat too. I sure hope things are going well for you.

Frank (old "wannag3")

Re:Speaking of new G3 owners,... 12 years 6 months ago #42778

Thom! Is that the same blue boat that was in your yard? It cleaned up pretty well! It looks GREAT. Happy to see it back in service.

I will tell you that the passenger is a lot better looking in the first photo. It must have been one hell of a ride... heh. :laugh:

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Speaking of new G3 owners,... 12 years 6 months ago #42815

Sure glad to see another G3 back on the water even if it has a merc on it
From the pix the boat looks great.
Mike aka the pirate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)