Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges!

Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 8 months ago #41578

Hey Guys... anyone willing to give an opinion? The old girl has been running strong this summer, but has now developed a new problem. Sunday it quit running while on full plane...like someone had shut off the switch. Wouldn't restart and was towed in. I found a loose wire to the coil, tightened it and headed back out. Ran great. I took it out again yesterday and ran her for a few hours with no problems, but then the same thing. Shut off while running wide out. It restarted, shut down again once going, and wouldn't restart. I got it home, and then it restarted. Could this be the voltage regulator going bad? "Motorhead" suggested I upgrade to a pretronix coil last year which I never did as my problems seemed to go away. They are now back. Which component is most likely to give intermitant challenges? How can I test these without just throwing parts at it? I would like to do the coil upgrade as it is cheap, but he didn't specify which...other than 3 ohm and 40,000 volts. There seem to be a few different models that fit that description. Anyone do this upgrade? Do you know the part number?

THANKS! your help is appreciated as it is hard to find someone that knows their way around one of these old girls.

-Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 8 months ago #41720

Hi DAN!
You need to talk to Bruce MOTORHEAD Gerard.... Also, you may be able to go back to the OLD forum and review his recommendations he gave last time. The man knows how to make a Starflite FLY!!!!
GO TEAM OMC!!!!! ;)
HA!
NUT
Attachments:

Re:Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 8 months ago #41913

Thanks Nut! I spoke with a few guys on the Evinrude Forum and the concencus is my Coil. I am going to start with that and see what happens. Ordered one today...Possibly another test ride this weekend! Yee-Ha! I'll keep you posted and thanks! Good to see you here...I just joined this weekend too, so you are not too much of a late-comer!

-Dan

Re:Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 7 months ago #42408

Hey NUT! I got in touch with Bruce as well. Parts are installed and adjustmenst have been made as per his suggestions. I now have one one successful test ride under my belt. She ran better today that she ever has.

Take care and keep rockin classic OMC's!

Re:Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 7 months ago #42417

Dan I wish I knew more about these ol evinrudes, I had one but sold some ign parts off it,well gave might be more accurate, any way just wanted to say I love the sound of the older V4s, as a young boy we had a 1 pump gas dock and all summer I just sat and listend and smelled the 2 strokes all day.....drinkin and driven was ok back then too.........lol

Re:Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 7 months ago #42473

Ponyboy wrote:

Dan I just wanted to say I love the sound of the older V4s

AHHHHHHH, yes..."sooooothing" Evinrudes.....!! Jeff, this morning,I checked out your "Cobra Time" You Tube, and wondered to myself, how can these MercKooks STAND listening to that CLATTERRACKET all day long??? At first,I thought it was just the movie soundtrack gone wrong, but later had to take off my headphones, as I was getting a MIGRANE when you let that thing wind up...... :angry: HA! The throaty growl of a V4 is like classical music by comparison.... "soooooothing Evinrudes"....just the remedy I needed! :blush: HA!
Dan, you should research Bruces FRANKENRUDE project motor!!! The man does it RIGHT! He also has a couple YouTube videos of his Reinell that are very cool! Check it out....
NUT

Re:Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 7 months ago #42504

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
O yes the Nuts Back! no doubt about that. Do you need help getting a pic of that white ugly anchor on your forum page, Maybe you could borrow a nicer pic from Jim with you at the helm.LOL :laugh:

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re: Starflight 90s is giving me new challenges! 12 years 7 months ago #42506

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So you solved the problem, great:). Though its not your problem it seems, one thing I always do to older motors and electrical is solder any crimped on connectors. A few times I had a intermitant cutting out like a and thats what I traced it to. Guess the wire gets pulled and corroded to insulate itself from the connector?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024