• Page:

TOPIC: The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block

The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38446

• deanlofall
  • deanlofall's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
So I have finally finished my G3, a project that kept me off of the streets through the winter and spring months. I bought a derelict boat down near Salem, Oregon that needed a floor and transom and a few pieces of splash well trim. Thank's to Thom (Dr_Frankenmerc), I bought a few pieces and copied (sand cast) a few others. Darrell (ClassicMerc) restored a 1963 85 hp Ghost White Merc for me. I painted the exterior with Awlgrip and wet sanded and polished the paint and all the trim... It was a ton of work, but it came out well.

I just finished up getting the engine on this week, pulled it down to Shelton to see Thom, so he could inspect my engine connections (steering, controls, tach & gauge power) and bless it before I fired it up. All went well, and its now got some driveway running time on it. I borrowed a test prop from Thom and headed for the lake for some underway break in time this morning, only to find out I had a dead battery. So I if nothing else, I got a float test out of it.

I pulled some selected photos from the hundred or so that I have... for your viewing enjoyment:

Here is the timeline in pictures Dec 2010 to July 2011:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38447

Even though I'm with "Glassparnut" on "team OMC" I have to say over and over.
A six cylinder white Mercury on a G-3 is the best looking combo you can make.
Great job on your rebuild/refinish. Looks really good. With the correct propeller
that G-3 will skip out of the water. You will love the boat....Have fun!!

John

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38451

Dean.......didnt ya see the pull start on the motor?

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38452

Nice, Dean

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38456

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Outstanding Dean ;) Dead Battery, after all that,lol

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38459

Sharp lookin boat! I like it!!

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38463

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
It turned out beautiful Dean, very nice work! ;)

Mark

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38466

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Guys! Your approval means a lot to me. Especially John from the Florida OMC camp. :)

Ponyboy, I pulled on the starter with the choke and key on. The motor seems to be real tight still (from the overhaul/new rings). I didnt even get a putt out of it... after about three pulls, I just threw in the towel. The lake launch was pretty busy on a nice Saturday morning, so I needed to get out of the way... I went back to get the trailer and just pulled out and took her home and had a beer.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38479

Just kidden Dean about the PULL start, by the way Very Nice Job On the G3, I cant wait to see the smile on your face as you go cruisin the first time.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38484

Very nice looking Dean!! Nothing more rewarding than a beautiful outcome like that after so much diligent work on the restoration.

Beautiful engine also!

Jim Savage

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38521

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I am still waiting to hear how much THE NUT loves the tall white motor, that will make the project all worth every hour and penny spent...heh, though far short of the thrill when I get those 6 lungs singing at WOT.

I'm heading to Las Vegas this morning (so I can get my periodic fill of gambling and night life. :woohoo: )... so water fun is unfortunately on hold for a few days.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38522

I'm heading to Las Vegas this morning (so I can get my periodic fill of gambling and night life.

break the bank Dean

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38534

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Dean your gas tank looks great and the metalic blue is pretty sweet:). Think Nuts seen this thread ;) but it might be a blessing he can't reply just yet,lol

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38578

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
G3 Perfection!!!!! let that battery charge while you are gone. Report when you return. Just save some winnings for gas.
Jim

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38639

I didn't want to post anything until after Dean unveiled his completed project.
To fully appreciate the attention to detail Dean has put into his G3, you would really need to have it right in front of you in the bright sunlight.
You could even be armed with a huge magnifying glass to aid your inspection.
This baby is immaculate in every way and absolutely breathtaking.
Dean clearly spent a great deal of time researching the best ways to complete each step of his build, and then took on each task with obvious passion.
Even after the professional painter hired to lay on the final coats of paint had finished, Dean went back over the entire hull wet-sanding away any traces of 'orange peel' or imperfection until he had produced a gorgeous finish.
All the aluminum is polished and immaculate. Insanely immaculate.
The upholstery Dean selected is beautiful and compliments the metalflake blue accents on the hull.
The interior is as detailed as the finely polished hull.
Even the bidge and other areas not easily seen are completed as if they were to focus of attention. Clearly hours upon hours have been spent by Dean to insure every inch - both inside and outside - is pleasing to the eye.
Based on a lot of pictures Dean had shared as he progressed, I anticipated seeing a 'real nice job' when the day came that I would see it up close,...But I wasn't prepared for what I saw when that time finally came.
Chip Foose and his crew of experts would bow in respect for the level of excellence Dean has reached with his G3.
Just my humble opinion.
Thom

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38660

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Beautiful! Sounds like it needs to be experienced rather than just viewed... wish I could see it for myself.
Hope you get it wet real soon!

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38668

Dean
Very impressive!
Stunning work.
From Thom's description, mere compliments, tho justified, would be paltry to what is deserved.
She looks like a rocket ready to launch off the trailer in the second to last pic posted.
Can't wait to see action pics on the water.

Thanks for sharing
lar

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #38717

BE-YU-TI-FUL !!!

The effort shows.
Thank you for the pics.
Ken

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 8 months ago #40343

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I was wrong about the battery, it was fine. Turned out my "sticky" ignition switch apparently was stuck in the start position when I ran the motor in the driveway the night before. I melted the starter's guts. Thom set me up today with a Frankenmerc rebuild. We got it out and did break-in laps in his lake this evening until we got cold.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #41580

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
With just over 3 hours of run time on my break-in, I have began to reach WOT. My first attempt to WOT uncovered a fuel flow problem that caused starvation above 4000 RPM. I found due a faulty fuel line fitting at the tank end. Installed a Merc OEM fitting and headed back to the lake today... problem fixed.

Tried a 19P prop today, but it's a little too tall... I only get 4900 RPM until I trim the motor to the point that I get air into the prop, then I get about 5200 RPM. I think I need 500 more engine RPM so I am going to try a 17P next.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #41603

Dean
First off, I must say, your BOAT looks GREAT!!!! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!! LOVE the colors, and upholstery too! Congratulations on "GITTIN 'ER DONE!"
I must also say, however, that atrocious excuse for an outboard that you stuck on the back, SERIOUSLY degrades the final form. UUUGGGHHH!!! Absolutely hideous!! I might just lose my dinner, now.... Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but isn't that things best attribute BUSTING DOCKS??? Can't believe my fellow OMC teammate, JC actually approves of the look....yeech! Only way you could possibly make it look worse, was if it was painted BLACK!!!
I think I read one post where you couldn't wait to hear what I thought of it, right? HA! I missed you guys too.....
NUT

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #42573

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
NUT, Thanks! You guys set the bar pretty high with your boats... If I get my trailer replaced before next summer, you might even see the "Bandit" down at your next year's Shastafest.

It's clear that you just LOVE :kiss: my "ghost white" Merc, I would have been disappointed if you liked it any less! This motor actually came after the "Dock Buster" era, I think it was Dr. Frankenmerc who referred to these as the "V4 Busters".

I didn't understand your term "absolutely hideous" so I looked it up in the OMC owner's manual glossary, and it means "(1) an image of a stack-6 that scares the crap out of an OMC owner, (2) an OMC's nemisis". So now I get why you almost lost your dinner when you saw it... Don't be scared man, its just friendly beast of an outboard.

Its great to see you back on the G3 board, NUT!

By the way, if you would like me to send you a high resolution version of the photo below, suitable for framing and hanging in your living room... please let me know!

Dean
Attachments:

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #42576

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ha ha ha ha ha v-4 busters. thats cool. I got to say your G3 and Randy Deary's G3 are 2 of the nicest I have seen.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #42625

HEY NUT, here is a pic of someone who asked about you last week in Selma, Ala. 14-1/2 feet log at 604 lbs.

How would you like to ski with him? Or have that ole v-4 breakdown in the water with him!!!

You know Deans Merc 850 is very pretty, so stop being so critical.
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #42627

ha ha ha ha ha v-4 busters

looks sweet Dean

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 7 months ago #42637

Sweet job! I invite you to look me up next time you're in Vegas. That goes for the others addicted to Fiberglassics. If it's not to rough, we can fire up the 150 Evenrude on my 1961 Bristol (not unlike the g-3) and check out Hoover Dam. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 5 months ago #49088

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
I had the rare privilege of not only viewing Dean's meticulously restored G3 but riding in it as well, on that beautiful autumn day on Kitsap Lake a few weeks ago. She's a fine Beast indeed and rides as smooth as you could imagine by looking at the pics of that shiny hull.

That was quite a day, between riding in Dean's Bandit and the Good Dr. FrankenMerc's Wild Thanggg I got my adrenaline rush quota filled for the rest of the year!

Cheers..........ed

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 12 years 5 months ago #49294

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the kind words Ed! We took a lot of photos that day, nothing but big grins in all the shots. Here is one photo where you cannot see Thom and Ed grinning, but its the view of Wild Thanggg that Bandit gets to see the most... heh. Thom would call this the "GlassparNUT'S view".
Attachments:

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 11 years 8 months ago #65782

dean you are a master of classic boat restoration ,what a great looking g3,i love it,well done,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 11 years 8 months ago #65967

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks John! That means a lot, coming from the TRUE MASTER of cool restorations. B)

I'm getting ready to start posting my new resto project; a 1964 Crestliner Explorer Imperial. A much different boat than a G3, very seaworthy and will become my Puget Sound fishing and fun boat. :P

I've got it gutted, cleaned, poured in floatation foam & new floor installed. I just finished the cockpit, splashwell and cabin interior spatter painting. I am now completely rebuilding the helms (pilot & passenger helm stations), as soon as I get them in, then I'll have enough progress to start posting my photos :)

Dean

Here is what it looks like:
Attachments:

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 11 years 8 months ago #66003

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
after seeing all of the pics, it looks like i'll need to stop by and visit next time i'm up that way. nice looking boat!

-Chris

Re:The Newest 1959 G3 on the Block 11 years 8 months ago #67047

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Chris,
For sure, just give me a little warning the next time you are going to be out this way so I can have Bandit ready for a spin on Kitsap Lake!

Dean

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7458 guests and 2 members online