• Page:

TOPIC: Sometimes you just get lucky!!!

Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 9 months ago #37554

• nyseguy
  • nyseguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Although my G3 project has been placed on hold I still check the local classifieds (Craigslist) every day. I found an ad listing a 17' speedboat with a 155hp mercury. The advertiser turned out to be a salvage company nearby, and the guy said it was some special Mercury. So to satisfy my curiosity I took a ride.

When I got there I saw an extremely dirty orange hull, with a plastic bag over the motor. I noticed the shaft seemed shorter, but it was on a jack plate up pretty high. When I pulled the bag off I almost fell over. The 155hp turned out to be a completely intact, original, and never apart 1977 1500XS (J block) Mercury, that has sat for 15 years!!! Do you have any idea how hard it was to contain myself!!! It looked as though the motor had never been used. I couldn't count the cash quick enough (and if you want to know I can sell the prop and jack plate to recoup what I paid!!!)

So today we swapped the battery, checked for spark, ran fresh fuel...and the damn thing fired right up!!! Check out the video.

Sometimes I am convinced God looks down and smiles :)

PS: the Avenger cleaned up pretty good too!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 9 months ago #37578

Sometimes I am convinced God looks down and smiles

Indeed
Congrats, what a find!!!

regards
lar

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 9 months ago #37580

sweet deal

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 9 months ago #37629

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'd keep it. Avengers have a great hull, look cool. Should get around 70mph, plus or minus a few. But do the Merc a big favor and GET RID OF THAT FIN!!!!!!

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 9 months ago #37635

• nyseguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the responses! The hull cleaned up well with a gentle powerwashing, but needs a floor and possibly a transom. My problem is that it will sit in a long line of other projects! The motor is coming off this week and will find a home on a stand- have the carb's refreshed, and await it's fate.

I already have a fresh 1000 Merc on a 15 inch mid for my G3, but this XS may find a home on something newer.

Either way, it's cool as s**t!!!!

With regards to the fin- yes, they will go for historic reasons. However, I have run those fins on many a V6 Merc's with great results on both Hydrostreams and Allisons, all 80+ mph boats.

Ugly...yet very effective!!!

-Bob

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 9 months ago #37725

What an awesome find Bob!!
I really like reading these stories, but wish I could be the one writing it.
:)
A pal just purchased a pretty decent CeeBee Avenger.
They have great lines.
I don't think I've seen one without the little windshields, but I like it!!
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 8 months ago #38164

• nyseguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I had an 18' version of the same boat years ago, this is a 17' (mid 70's did not have winshields). The one you posted looks like a Sidewinder. The bottom of the Avenger is relatively flat which makes for a pounding ride in our local bay. I believe I have this boat sold anyway- going to the Connecticut river.

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 8 months ago #39414

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
What a find!
I guess we do have some really nice things on the island!
Rumor has it that there may be another running G-3 on Lake George soon, once yours is done we could set up a rally!
-Ben

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 8 months ago #39421

• nyseguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Ben- yes, there are some great finds here on the island! One day I will tell you how I got my 1966 VW bug!!! I have made it daily practice to check Craigslist for 5 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon, both the New York and Long Island sections. It's a small price to pay for the potential sweet finds...as this was one of them!

Re:Sometimes you just get lucky!!! 12 years 8 months ago #39463

Hi,
I enjoyed seeing your new find. My family sold Avengers for 20+ years (the owner is now retired), and we have one of the same model (Model 163 Bubbledeck - ours is blue and white), and a Model 150 (it is pictured on the Home page of our website - you may need to scroll down to see it). The one Thom shows is a Model 165 Mach II, and all of these were offered at the same time (they offered up to 23 footers). There was an optional small reverse windshield for the bubbledeck models. Between these and Sidewinders, they were my very favorite boats that we have ever sold.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7055 guests and one member online