Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't break 50?

Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37396

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Once again, the GPS unit showed me 49.9 mph!
What can be done to hit 50?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37400

Wax the bottom of your hull.

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37408

lean forward.......remove windsheild......have yer buddy sit in the rear of the boat........drive faster........make sure your skag is clean and painted,as in NO ruff edges.........raise engine 1 more inch........drive into the wind in a 4" chop.........drive down hill...........Nut would say,,,,,,Get a Mighty V4 110(140)

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37412

Run either way in a good chop and get the boat off the water more!1

BUT, keep the wet side down!!!

Jim Savage

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37416

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I believe waxing the bottom will actually slow the boat down.You would gain more by wet sanding,which creates microscopic air channels vs the wax that fills in all air gaps.Go on a diet and lose 30 lbs,then run it with one gallon of gas and lay down in the stern of the boat!!Remove cowling on motor,that will give it more air.Strip all hardware off boat and anything inside that is bolted or screwed into place.Strip boat of all paint like the airlines do, that will also reduce weight... Along with all of the above suggestions LOL

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37449

Waxing the bottom of the boat is easy. Try it and see if you get your one tenth of a mile per hour and reach your 50mph goal. I once raced large sailboats and applied graphite on the bottom of the hull of my 36 ft Colombia sailboat and won the Sombero Cup Race that year in a field of 70 plus boats. The goal is to break the surface tension between the hull and the water and while there are more effective methods and materials than wax it is cheap and easy. The idea of wet sanding the bottom of the hull will also serve to make the surface slicker and reduce the surface tension on the hull. These reccomendations are not for gaining huge speed changes but only so you can reach your goal. For greater speed changes some of Jeff's ideas are more effective. Brian

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37450

I agree, wax is slow.
I also agree with running boat in small chop, much faster than flat calm.
In addition to Jeff's comments, make sure no hook in bottom or soft spots that can become a hook when running. Try a bunch of different props, same pitch but different style props will perform differently.
And if you still can't hit 50, buy a dirt cheap GPS that is not so accurate......

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37458

So, how come no one has asked about the prop or motor setup? Wait... Ponyboy suggested raising the motor... but Ben, tell us about your setup behind the transom?

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37461

Ben
I hate to say this, but I think you have the wrong goal.
If it were me, instead of attempting to reach the currently elusive "50"
I'd be shooting for what they call in aviation circles "Vne."
The Never Exceed Speed!
Once you find it, and live to tell about it, 50 will have little to no meaning to you.
In fact, you can draw a BIG RED line on your dash, next to your speedo once you know where it is.
Then, when folks ask about it, you can respond in a cocky,, cavalier, devil may care attitude,
"Oh that, THAT is where we are not going."
Been there, done that!
Now you have the opportunity to tell a whopper of a story, or, just leave the details up to the imagination.
The reality is, in the minds of most folks, 50, in and of itself, is not that impressive.

Following Michael's suggestion, who is to say, you don't already own the crap GPS model, and without knowing it, you've already exceeded 50.
49.9, hmmmm, one tenth of one MPH.
A subjective reality, if you ask me.

Now of course, you must consider the source:
I have a big RED PTO swtich taped to the shifter of my truck.
I click it from time to time.
Mostly cause I'm bored.
When new riders ask if my truck is equipped with an overdrive, PTO, or whatever else their linear thinking conjures up:
I simply respond, "it is, whatever I want it to be."
cloaking device
rocket laucher
warp drive
mini gun
get the heck out of my way without actually running u off the road
etc, etc, etc.
The ultimate Transformer device.

To sum up, I guess my point is:
do you really want to spend 6 hours waxing a hull to obtain
1/10th of 1 percent
or, more accurately, 1/500th of 50 mph.
when you might be there already
or
go for broke and have something truly worth talking about. ???

Be advised, I am not suggesting you actually take my advice and put yourself at personal risk.
Ask the NUT, he has been there! And, fortunately, lived to tell about it.

It would be a whole lot easier to just go out there and draw a big red line on the dash.

regards
lar

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37491

boatgeek wrote:

The reality is, in the minds of most folks, 50, in and of itself, is not that impressive.

It's not?

50MPH on the water is pretty quick. 50MPH on the water, in a vintage boat that was not designed to go that fast, is damn impressive.

What a way to completely take a crap on someones goals... :angry:

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37499

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
JerrfyLube wrote:

boatgeek wrote:

It's not?

50MPH on the water is pretty quick. 50MPH on the water, in a vintage boat that was not designed to go that fast, is damn impressive.

What a way to completely take a crap on someones goals... :angry:[/quote/]

True.....One other option would to be to buy a Power Cat,,,just kidding :laugh:

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37500

My response was not an attempt to crap on a goal, but rather to extend it, or ask the question, is x worth y.
At 49.9 Ben IS effectively there.
Especially given the Gov'ts built in "+ / - margin of error specs" incorporated in all gps systems. Aware of those? Know why they are there?

As impressive as 50 may be, it has been stated numerous times by various individuals over the years, there is a mph, not to much beyond that number where our lil boats can become quite dangerous.
Were I at my main computer I'd post an excerpt from The NUT to prove the point.
I may get to that later.
Having said that, I'd rather see Ben safely see Vne, then to come upon it unexpectedly.

regards
lar
goal crapper

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37501

I'm a newbie to all this boat stuff...lol How is running a boat in choppy water faster than nice and smooth water.

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37504

less wetted surface area to slow down the hull, water creates a great deal of drag

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37505

clk27us wrote:

I'm a newbie to all this boat stuff...lol How is running a boat in choppy water faster than nice and smooth water.

My theory...

My "quicker" boat runs 2-3 MPH faster in a mild wind chop compared to "smooth as glass" water. I attribute this to that fact that less water it touching the hull as you are slightly skimming the tops of those waves with an air gap in between, which equates into less resistance.

Going with the wind certainly doesn't hurt in picking up a MPH or two either.

It only seems to work up to a certain point. A 10-15ish MPH breeze is usually enough to pick up a couple MPH. Anymore than that, the chop just beats you up.

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37516

I was chatting with a few California folks that just happened to be watching when NUT's Behemoth powered G3 passed the 50 MPH mark.
They told me,...And you all know I wouldn't lie about something 'so serious',...That after seeing NUT fumbling around with the controls on his craft, he stepped back in the bushes as the G3 set there drifting away.
Bored, the folks turned their attention to more interesting things and didn't see NUT's G3 idle away.
Soon after though, they hear the moaning cry of a female moose, looked up and saw the noise was coming from NUT's G3 as it went zooming by at a reasonablly fast speed.
What they found odd was,...They couldn't see NUT at the helm and assumed he had taken JM's advise and was laying down in the back of his G3, controlling the helm and throttle with his toes as he monitored his hand held GPS - hoping to see 50 MPH!!!
That would have been the end of the story, and we would have all had to accept the fact that ole NUT could actually get his squatty v4 powered G3 to fly,...BUT
:laugh:
Isn't there always a 'BUT' in the middle of a good story,...
BUT,...As NUT's G3 sped away towards the horizon,...The group of folks on shore noticed some of the brush moving where they had last seen NUT.
Wondering what in the world was going on in the brush, they continued to watch and soon,...They spotted a small chrome antenna wiggling above the brush, so they walked over there, assured now that it wasn't a Sasquatch or bear,...They found NUT - hunkered down out of sight and operating a remote control he later admitted he had swipped from the neighbor kid's RC hydroplane.
Realizing he was 'BUSTED' NUT wiggled the knob on the remote control and pretty soon his G3 turned back and returned to where the crowd surrounding NUT was standing.
NO WONDER that ole NUT's G3 could return to shore boasting a 50+ MPH run.
And THAT my friends is the truth,...SERIOUSLY.
I was shocked and appalled to think that such tactics were being used by the Johnny-RUDE boyz.
I have reported this to the APBA Officials and they are currently reviewing ALL the records claimed by OMC to see just how many OMC records were actually held by INFLATABLE DUMMY OPERATED race boats.
What a waste of time.
We ALL know what will be discovered:
All OMC powered boats are operated by DUMMIES!!!!
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37518

OUTRAGEOUS

sounds like someone will not only end up with Jim Savages Mercury logo tattooed on his chest in defeat, but deserve it :woohoo:

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37522

Hmmmmm, fascinating story Dr.
Oh the shame!
The Nut, caught in the bushes,
fiddling with the "control"
of his johnson, or rude, whatever the case may be.

Perhaps, more interesting, couched in the story line,
the idea for the next cool million:
G-3's for Dummies

Imagine the illustrated version, depicting the aforementioned scenario.
The HORROR!!!

thankfully
at this time, mine is in restro phase
and therefore, can beg off swearing allegiance to either side.... for awhile.

lar

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37547

Very good Thom, and accurate also. Yes, this emblem will fit Nuts chest just fine!!!! See art work for tatoo that makes Nut have nightmares!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37549

OH MY MY MY........as was once was uttered by my ol buddie...THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD!!!!!!

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37587

Ben

I just reconnected with our G-3 owners Association. I can't believe
the response you got on your question about getting your G-3 to top
50 mph. Not much help from these guys. Anyway, You should be able to top 50 mph with your 100hp Mercury without too much trouble. Remember a G-3 has a lot of wetted area which creates drag. That's why some said to run in a chop or wax the bottom. You want your boat to go fast all the time. So work on getting your G-3 out of the water as much as possible. One way is to make your G-3 as light as possible. Another is to "trim" your G-3 so the boat rides on the transom. Jeff in the "Reggie" has a light boat and he installed his gas tank up against the transom. That's why G-3s with built in gas tanks under the front deck find it hard to break 42mph. Since you have a center deck G-3 find a small gas tank and put it up against the transom. Jim Savage used to add weights near the transom when he raced. You may try adding some back there also. As I remember you have Trim & Tilt. Trim your motor up. Remember to go fast you need RPMs X Pitch. Raising the motor will help and will help reduce drag. Remind us about your set-up. The things I suggest so far don't cost much money. I'll give you more if you can keep a secret from Jim.
Good luck.

John

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37589

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
:woohoo:

Plus or minus 50mph,?
Attachments:

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37602

Ben

I'll give you a little more to think about on your quest to break 50 MPH.
I don't know the pitch of your propeller. I hope you have a tachometer.
I think your motor and propeller turn at 2 to 1. You will need to turn your motor
at 5100 rpm with a 23" prop. at 5500 rpm with a 21" prop. and at 6100 with a 19".
Those RPMs and pitch should give you a theoretical speed of 55 MPH. with no slip (100%
efficiency). True speed should be a little over 50 mph.

A propeller with a lot of rake will help get the bow up and your G-3
riding on the transom. Another way to help with getting the bow up is to add set-back to
the way your motor is mounted. I'd raise it first however. (Propellers, and set back cost money.
How much do you want to spend?)

By the way if your boat is sitting in the water in Greenwood Lake the slime that builds up over time will cost you 2 or 3 mph.

Tell us your set-up.

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37610

John_Clinton wrote:

Ben

I just reconnected with our G-3 owners Association. I can't believe
the response you got on your question about getting your G-3 to top
50 mph. Not much help from these guys.

John
I will take personal responsibility for every comment made by anyone that was less than encouraging to Ben to break 50.
With this one caveat, I suspect there are others like myself who are a little uncomfortable offering Ben advice to push the envelop for the following reasons:

It was ten days ago Ben posted the possibility of a significant problem with his hull.
At the time, I considered offering him an experimental solution.
It would have strengthened his hull and offered him some longevity before doing the inevitable restoration.
But then, I remembered something Brain Slager once said,
"I will just sit back and watch, until I see someone giving bad advise.
Even tho, I knew my process would work, I did not wish to damage my personal reputation by offering something that could me viewed as a shortcut.
Following that, Bill Davis posted how he dealt with a similar problem, and fixed it, "the right way."
To paraphrase:: Open the floor, see what is there, and fix it.
Bill even posted Pics!!!
The last I saw, Ben was opting to circumvent the full process by adding a layer or two of glass to the exterior.
IMHO, a patch, not a bonafide repair.
To my "current" knowledge, Ben has yet to make the necessary repairs much less the patch.

Now I know, what Ben does is none of my business.
With that in mind, should I encourage him to wax his hull by hand, or with a buffer that could add additional stress to an already marginal area?

I know my former comments were seen as goal crapping by some. I'll take that shot.
But, like you, I have met Ben personally, and am quite fond of him.
Therefore, I would not treat him much differently than I would one of my own son's.
I know my boys don't like it when I haul them up short and remind them to get their horse, back in front of their cart!
The forum being what it is, I opted to make those suggestions subtlety.
Plus, I will add, I really am not impressed by 50 or any other speed.
In my mind, our classic craft, look phenomenal doing 0.
Furthermore, not to beat the horse, but until Ben makes the necessary repairs,
IMHO VNE is 0
Park it, and fix it.

Finally, I will state this emphatically.
Tho I hate to sound like the hall monitor,
My first concern for Ben in this issue is his personal safety.
But as many, who have frequented this forum for any length of time,
I've noticed a trend: those who want to push the performance envelop of our craft never seem to be content reaching the next big number.
It isn't until they reach that point when they crap their pants, those goals drift off into oblivion.
For me, the process is vain.

I never forget riding with Vernon at the Rally.
At the time, his G3 was sporting the 150.
He hit WOT and we were off like a bolt of lightening.
To be honest, I was not impressed with the speed.
What did impress me, was how Vernon knew the exact point when to back off the throttle to keep the craft stable.
It was the point when the back end began to slip a little.
Being a seat of the pants pilot, I felt it in my arse.
How Vernon knew that spot, well, I can't say:
speedo, rpm's, feel?
I did not ask.
Didn't matter.
He knew where it was, and even tho the 150 was capable of far more, Vernon was "wise" enough to not exceed it.
So, I'm supposed to encourage Ben to go there?
With a potentially damaged hull?
Ahhhh. NO!

I will end my verbosity with a single question.
Ben, have you fixed your hull?
If you have then I'm a goal crapper; take John's advice and you will get there.
If not.....

regards
lar

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37633

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Encouraging safety is always worth a karma point from me.

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37650

Lar

I could not agree with you more. Safety first! So, if Ben's G-3 is starting to show signs of weakness than it's time to fix it first then go for top speed and efficiency. Ben knows his boat better than I. It just seemed to me that no one was really trying to help Ben with his quest. Short of the safety issue of a weak boat. A 100 hp Mercury, OMC or other 100 hp motor should be able to push a G-3 over 50 mph. With that much horse power it's mostly set-up. If the boat is set up properly going over 50 mph is relatively safe in a G-3. Remember, Glasspar used to advertise going over 50 in "safety and comfort" in a G-3.

Like all boats going that speed however, you still have to be careful and drive the water conditions.

It would be nice to hear from Ben again.

John

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37675

Ole NUT, Short-shaft & I do push beyond the safety margin for sure, and like the banter with each other over our choice of power.
I've seen enough pictures of NUT's hull to know it is built very well. I have personally inspected and driven Short-shaft's WIDOW and know that hull is 'bullet-proof'.
I have gone to extremes to make my hull solid as well.
That being said,
I believe Ben is running a hull that still has its original wood transom, stringers, and floor.
I have yet to see a G3 with those factors that should be pushing the envelope for speed with excessive horsepower, which IMHO would begin with a 650 4 cyl Merc or stinger.
There is nothing more dangerous than loading the boat up with horsepower and torque under these circumstances.
When a transom lets go, the motor doesn't just fall backwards into the water. It can come after the driver or passengers and tear the living 'BLEEP' out of someone while the boat begins to go every-which-way-but-loose in milli-seconds.
Most of use have dis-assembled original G3 hulls and know that even when the things were brand new - the way the transom was attached was of a very poor design and was intended on use with around 45-50 horse-power.
To run big horse-power calls for a LOT of hull alterations that are absolutely manditory for safety sake, and as mentioned - only pushes the hull up into a speed range it simply isn't designed to handle.
I'm sure that some of us feed off each others' teasing which pushes the testostrone levels to infinity, but that being said,...The G3, properly strengthened, is at its' best between 35-50 MPH.
You simply can't relax and enjoy the true treasure your driving above mid-50s either as it becomes a totally 'heads-up' demand.
The only way Corvettes survive as long as they do is because the owners respect what they have and don't push the envelope.

I hope that by my harrassment of NUT & my own personal recklessness - I don't encourage anyone to go beyond reasonable in the use of their G3.
Thom

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37934

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Take the engine cover off... more air !! try waxing the prop ??? Who knows

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #37940

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

Ole NUT, Short-shaft & I do push beyond the safety margin for sure, and like the banter with each other over our choice of power.
I've seen enough pictures of NUT's hull to know it is built very well. I have personally inspected and driven Short-shaft's WIDOW and know that hull is 'bullet-proof'.
I have gone to extremes to make my hull solid as well.
That being said,
I believe Ben is running a hull that still has its original wood transom, stringers, and floor.
I have yet to see a G3 with those factors that should be pushing the envelope for speed with excessive horsepower, which IMHO would begin with a 650 4 cyl Merc or stinger.
There is nothing more dangerous than loading the boat up with horsepower and torque under these circumstances.
When a transom lets go, the motor doesn't just fall backwards into the water. It can come after the driver or passengers and tear the living 'BLEEP' out of someone while the boat begins to go every-which-way-but-loose in milli-seconds.
Most of use have dis-assembled original G3 hulls and know that even when the things were brand new - the way the transom was attached was of a very poor design and was intended on use with around 45-50 horse-power.
To run big horse-power calls for a LOT of hull alterations that are absolutely manditory for safety sake, and as mentioned - only pushes the hull up into a speed range it simply isn't designed to handle.
I'm sure that some of us feed off each others' teasing which pushes the testostrone levels to infinity, but that being said,...The G3, properly strengthened, is at its' best between 35-50 MPH.
You simply can't relax and enjoy the true treasure your driving above mid-50s either as it becomes a totally 'heads-up' demand.
The only way Corvettes survive as long as they do is because the owners respect what they have and don't push the envelope.

I hope that by my harrassment of NUT & my own personal recklessness - I don't encourage anyone to go beyond reasonable in the use of their G3.
Thom

You hit the nail on the head, and for that I hope others see your wisdom as well. Most important, those that seek extra MPH with their G3's. Thank you Sir!

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38134

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all the feedback!
Sorry for the delayed response, but I was at a hockey camp and didn't have any access to a computer. I best be getting to sleep now, as I have a HUGE tournament starting Friday. I'll post tomorrow in detail addressing all questions, comments, and concerns.
-Ben

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38188

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I don’t think I can reply to each post individually like the old forum, so we’ll see how this works out!
Anyway,

The setup:
Engine: Merc 1000 w/power tilt and trim
Prop: 20” SS chopper, 13.25 in. Diameter
Gas tank and battery are both located in the stern of the boat

The “hull issue”:
What originally brought this to my attention was a young fellow who worked locally and was looking at my G-3. He mentioned to me that he thought the particular spot was ready to give. Upon further investigation, I inspected that spot as well as the rest of the hull. It was really no weaker than the opposite side. Of course its not nearly as strong as the hull in my mom’s little boston whaler. There is a little bit of flex when enough pressure is applied, but no more flex than there had been previously. Last year I took a man out who works in high performance marina, he was restoring a G-3 at the time. I let him drive it around and he felt that the boat was still in solid shape.

The Transom:
As the good Doctor pointed out, my boat is still totally original without any structural repairs. The transom was drilled through last year to mount the motor, and the underlying wood was in perfect condition. There is no wobble or flex at all in the transom, whether the pressure is applied by hand or underway. I saw a G-3 about 2 years ago sitting by lake george with a transom that had started to give, and it did not resemble the integrity of mine at all.

Lar,
I always love to read your replies, and in no way do I see you as a “goal crapper”.
The idea of a never exceed speed is very appealing, however I do not wish to experience that speed in my vintage G-3. I may just draw that red line on the tach for a little story telling! ;) Once, I get to the 50mph point, I will be totally satisfied. I typically enjoy cruising between 20 and 30 mph on the lake, its just nice to know that I have that much more throttle left lying in the beast on the transom. My favorite thing to do with my G-3 is take it out to the island with the Ranger station and goods store for breakfast or lunch, and sit and watch as people look at my docked G-3 in awe. I often end up conversing with these people and the conversations are really a lot of fun. It’s not everyday that people see a boat like a G-3! And as you said, it looks phenomonal at 0mph :) .

Usage:
Knowing that it is still structurally original, I generally only take my G-3 out in the morning or evening. I do not ever subject the hull to rough waters. Of course even when it’s smooth I encounter wakes from other boats. When this occurs, I slow down and take the wake in a parallel manner to avoid any pounding. I’m sure it could handle many of the wakes anyway, but why take a risk at all? I probably take it to full throttle maybe three times a summer in perfectly flat water, in areas that I know very well and have limited boat traffic. I do believe that this will be its last summer as is. A full resto is going to take place to eliminate any structural unknowns and enhance safety.

As for the original question:

John,
Thank you for your responses. Underway, I have been trimming the motor up to get the boat out of the water and reduce drag. I think the RPMs at WOT have been between 5400 and 5600 rpms, I think a slightly greater pitch may be a good idea. How much money do I want to spend? Not very much of course! :) I am on very good terms with a prop shop and the owner said he would let me try various props, so I think I’ll take him up on that offer.

My next steps speedwise will be:
1. Sand the skeg to perfection.
2. Clean the hull, then moderately wet sand or wax the area of the hull that remains in the water at speed.
3. Use a GPS that reads in increments of 1mph.
4. Drive in slight wind.
5. Try a 21” chopper or even try a cleaver prop.
6. Set up a remote control system.
7-998 everything else.
999. Try a might V4 110!!

I’d like to thank everybody for their responses and stories. The concern we all have for each other’s safety is really great. We are just like on big family here on this board.
-Ben

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38221

Ben

Glad to hear from you. With the information you supplied so far I'd say that you are
close to maximum efficiency with your current set-up and propeller. I would keep running your motor at or near 5600 rpm. That's not too high or too low just about right in my opinion.
I would raise your motor another 1 to 2" increase your propellers pitch to 21" and hold on as you go over 50mph.

John

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38308

Thanks Jerrfylub. Light chop is good. I have a 40hp johonson on a 14ft crosby. How much speed can I expect out of it when it's running good?

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38313

28 to 32 mph I'd say.

Jim Savage

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38344

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ben, think John is right as usual. I had my '60 g3 with a 650 at Piru years ago with passenger in the boat plus gear and going into slight wind with about 6" chop, Plus it has a bad Hook in the back. kinda rough, hit 5600rpm with a 3x19P and showed 45mph on the Airguide. Was a hand full to steer maybe cause of the stock motor mounts?
If your g3 is sound, why waste time and money? " A full resto is going to take place to eliminate any structural unknowns and enhance safety." B..

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38349

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
John,
I am a bit hesitant to raise the motor, at least until I get a water pressure gauge set up. I'll be sure to hold on!

Bill,
I do have solid motor mounts to avoid the steering and chinewalk problems! I feel that my G-3 is sound as a vintage boat being used on calm water. However I do not think it is currently suitable for a bustling wavy lake midday. Just my thoughts.

-Ben

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38352

Ben

I have a water pressure gauge in my G-3 it's a good idea to have one.
But let me tell you. When you start going fast and any speed over 40 mph in a G-3
is fast. You start having to drive the water conditions. Checking the water gauge
or any other instrument is only a glance. You can not study the gauges for long.

If you can barrow a 21" pitch propeller try it. You may get over 50 mph with just
that change. However you may drop RPMs and go no faster. If that's the case
raise the motor. The shape of the "bullet" of the lower unit will force water to flow around the
surface and into the side water intakes. Short shaft motors were used all the time on
boats designed for long shaft motors when Outboard Pleasure Craft boats were raced.

I don't think you can raise your motor a full 5" but you should be able to raise it 2 1/2"
without too much trouble. At 17 1/2" and 21" pitch propeller your motor should push your
G-3 over 50 mph.

John

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38372

49.9 is 50 in my book. I had a GT-150 powered by a 88 Evinride SPL.
She run 55 by the stock speedo. 19" cupped 3 blade prop. Fast enonugh for me. The water gets hard in that range. B)

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38374

Ben
If you decide to use the GPS that only reads in 1 mph increments,
At 49.999, The math suggests the gps is gonna read 50. :ohmy:

I'm confident you will accomplish any goal you set your mind to.

You have addressed all my concerns satisfactorily.

There is one other thing you could try.
Something I saw in a cartoon once.
Bring a hammer along
as your reaching 50
break the glass on the speedo
grab the needle with your finger and move it up to the redline.
absolute magic!!!

Keep in mind, I've seen all of the truly important Sponge Bob episodes where imagination is key.
And, do a pretty darn good Patrick at whim.
Secret Boooox!

Best to you brother!
I know you will get there.

btw, I might just be a goal crapper after all.
I realized today, I've an affinity for crapping out worthy goals
but, a very difficult time realizing them.

lar

even magic, isn't magic,
someone, has to do it

Re:Can't break 50? 12 years 8 months ago #38378

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Think you've been misled, who said that, :laugh: The g3 can take alot, you have to look no farther than Jim S, and the elusive Nut. My g3 isn't in great shape with a soft floor and Hook and have jumped waves and heavy chop in the ocean. Thing is you wont run it hard enough to damage it IMO cause it hurts and no fun unless sitting on a pillow perhaps,LOL Once i went into the beach and made a u-turn, gave it WOT and flew over a incoming wave, thought i broke the seat but not, looked the hull over afterwards with no problems. The prop was spining in the air so backed off. All disclaimers apply ;) B..

PS. I would also worry about going fast for any length of time with a big prop as the motor temp seems to rise and did make me back off at 45mph with the 650 just to be safe as I didn't know whats allowed as a safe range? and still don't :angry:

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024