• Page:

TOPIC: G3 and paddles..

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 7 months ago #137336

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Maybe an odd question. (?) How hard is to row or use a paddle to get the boat back to shore in the case of engine problems? (assuming one person is in the boat...) Any paddle better than others?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 7 months ago #137375

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The longest paddle you have room for in the boat! It's no fun on your knees reaching over the gunnel trying to paddle home.

Mark

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 7 months ago #137390

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Do not have this boat, but can see the challenges. In additiion to a paddle, I keep a nice tow rope for tubes that has the 6 foot bungee and 4,000 pound capacity. It won’ t jerk the eye out of the boat. Also carry flair gun... then a portable little trolling motor that I clamp on quickly that paddles better than I do... and oh yeah - the jump pack too.

Dr.Go!

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 7 months ago #137410

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have a smallish trolling motor but can't figure a way to mount it....not much on the transom when there's an 85 hp, V4 behemoth chewing up the available space!

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 7 months ago #137413

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Very true for your pocket rocket having limited space. I have just enough, but I keep it in the boat like a paddle until I need it. This idea may be too expensive and possibly something you wouldn’t want to do... but I have also seen the trolling motor units that mount to an outboard and are out of the water when on plane. Wonder if a person could fashion a custom gunnel bracket with rubber pads and simple quick clamp that a driver could operate on the right side while in the cockpit. Of course I am talking about my really small and light unit so we are not taking about crazy thrust that would damage anything or get away from you... I am thinking about it like a portable, but stationary paddle when mounted. Just throwing out crazy ideas because I hate paddling boats that are a challenge to paddle. I am still a fan of my bungee tube rope so a boat doesn’t get jerked when you get slack in a tow rope. Seems like when I plan, nothing goes wrong... and the second I forget one thing, things go sideways. Maybe always 3 healthy passengers and 3 of the smaller paddles so each person paddles where they sit, but warn no scratches allowed. Your reverse sponsons make your boat a challenge as it is wide back there.

Dr.Go!

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 6 months ago #137640

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
i HAVE AN OLDER CRUISE & CARRY, think its 1.5hp in a carry bag, never had to use it yet. Ores for around dock is ok but it never worked well for me like u guys stated. U can lay on the bow and paddle. IMO stay close to other boaters to get a tow in if needed. :) B

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

G3 and paddles.. 5 years 6 months ago #137683

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I could tell a few stories about paddling boats back but after awhile it gets boring.
I have the coast guard and local sheriff dept. on speed dial and have used it more than once. Get to know them on first name basis.
Best thing when in a bad situation is to toss the anchor in and call someone or flag down another boater. Never had anyone not offer assistance. Many years ago when I broke a driveshaft on an older OMC 800 series my son in law and I paddled to shore and toed the boat back to the landing about two miles, one walking the shoreline pulling the rope and the other in the water keeping the boat floating. This was in windy conditions on Lake Michigan. Get the longest handle paddle you can. even an old oar works. Like Dr. Go mentioned a flair gun is required in WI over 16' on open water. A small box of tools, spare plugs, tape, wire, etc. all come in handy.

PS. make sure the anchor rope is attached to your boat before tossing it overboard....don't laugh.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)