Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath

1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86332

Hello,
I just bought this boat this week. My first question is about the steering console. The prior owner never installed a steering wheel and just used tiller steering. I would like to find a mid 50s 15 HP Evinrude Fastwin and the apropriate steering wheel, controls, cables, pulleys etc. Has anyone ever seen a console like this? Am I supposed to drill through it, or mount something below it to attach the wheel?
Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86340

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
C, Good Find, CONGRATS, These SIDE MOUNTS are quite common for AL boats under 16 ft. May find a set up in a salvage or marina yard.
Otherwise a small hydro-plane racer hub mount should work for ya. Usually three bolts , the pully could stand off the wood dash board. If you are desired for a dual pully system,(?) the left feed will loop back on the right then back to the left corner in the rear across the transom..! I would go with a newer single teleflex cable system , Gear or rack up under the dash board.. Lets us know what you find.. Latest & more expensive, easy to install may be the hydraulic system for your layout. ?

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86367

Cool looking open bow. Love the lines. Kinda has a Feathercraft look to it with all those rivets.

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86375

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That does kind of have the Feathercraft barrelback look to it too.

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86467

I heard from someone in the Trailorboat family that they did not supply these boats with the side console, but they may have added it as a special order. I was told by the previous owner who bought it from the grandson of the original owner that it came this way from the factory, and steering was never installed. Why would someone order it and then not use it? I am now considering removing the console and staying with tiller steering. Does anyone recognize the trailer?
Thanks,
Chris

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86474

chris ioakimedes wrote:

Does anyone recognize the trailer?

Sure, it's the long tubular metal 'chassis' under the boat. You know the fiddly bit w/ the 2 large rubber tires.............

Sorry, ^^^^, can't help id the trailer, but not much to go on in that 1 pix. Might try more shots showing a better view of the trailer..

Maybe someone ordered the side console at a dealer, then never picked it up? If it's as old as it looks, I suspect the console was installed at the dealer, not the factory. Wasn't lighting & motors (probably steering too) done at the dealer upon delivery to them. Not at the factory?

That's why 2 boats of the same make, model & year often have different original steering wheels and nav lighting then others.

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86482

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would stick with the steering console that you have, and look for a wheel and the hardware to make it work. I feel that this adds alot of character to your boat, and I like the look.
Regards,
StevieB

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86503

OK,
I'm sticking with the console and looking for a steering wheel, a mid 50s 15HP motor, controls, etc. It looks like the inside of the boat was originally blue, the gunwhales were red at one time, I'm thinking about stripping them and doing a wood finish.
Thanks,
Chris

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86563

Where are you located? There are a bunch of Trailerboats in Northern California. They seem to mostly be the smaller 12 footers.

Norm

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86570

Hi Norm,
I live in San Quentin, about a mile from the Trailorboat factory. The fact that it is a locally made boat is one of the reasons that I bought it. I have a 14 ft. Fiberglass Trailorboat also.
Chris

Re:1954 Trailorboat Deluxe Klamath 10 years 5 months ago #86598

I sent you a pm

Norm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.790 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)