Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with value of this Clipper

Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85897

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
SO I put an ad on Craigslist a couple days ago and was contacted about this. Its a 57' Orlando Clipper Zephyr. He says 100% original. 14' with original Buccaneer, controls, cable steering, seat cushions, trailer, paperwork including sales poster etc. Never in salt water. Hasn't run in 2 years. No leaks. He is asking 4k. What do you think they value is on something like this? Seems high to me, but I don't know much about them. Thanks in advance.

Edit - Sorry I tried to upload some pics but it didn't work
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85899

• Tbergh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
i paid 500 for my orlando clipper zepher and had not been ran in 4 years i feel that they are worth 2 to 3 grand

thanks thad

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85908

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85920

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
It does appear to be a nice one, let me help you with those pics;

I've been called a "cheap skate" before, but I prefer "extremely frugal". LOL I think I'd offer him half, or maybe $2500, and see what happens. The aft seat has either been recovered in different material, or added later on. The seat brackets looks different too, minor details that could be corrected IMHO. (But may help with the price negotiations?) Good luck, let us know how it works out please.

Mark

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85924

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh I'm right as a frogs butt! I noticed the seat and bracket as well, he claims they are original. I also was thinking half.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85965

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well the best he would do was $3400. More than I am willing to pay. So im still on the hunt.

And holy Moses! I had another guy contact me tonight with another even nicer original 56 Clipper. He is asking $5000. These look more like collectors to me. I want something I can actually use. And it will also be going in salt water, so I dont want to start with a super nice one. Still have a lead on a couple Feather Craft's.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85968

• MarkS
Good attitude Buguy, hang in there and something will turn up that's right for you. Those sellers will probably get close to what they're asking, seems to be a lot of folks out there with deeper pockets than I! Good luck with your search, and we'll keep our eyes open as well. ;)

Mark

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85990

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah those deserve a place inside that I cant give them. I have the leads on a couple Feather crafts, and there is one other Clipper here in town, but its rough and no way to verify if they run. Heck I will just post the ad up here for some of you to have a look at. The money is right, but its ugly, trailer is too little, and as I said, cant verify they run (which to me means they dont). Front seat area looks weird to me too. daytona.craigslist.org/boa/4151412353.html

And there is this one. Runner at least, but still missing plenty.
daytona.craigslist.org/boa/4102405317.html

Any thoughts on either of those?

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85994

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #85997

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86032

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah I am just a bit nervous about a fiberglass boat. Im a new boater, and new to the area. Will be taking it out on the intercoastal and dealing with shallow waters, tides, and clam bottom waters. Need something that could take some abuse if I were to hit bottom now and then.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86033

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86037

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Go for the Crestliner in Jacksonville. It has great lines and it would be a very easy resto.
Regards,
StevieB

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86039

I agree, the Crestliner is awesome and that style was only made for 1 year with the split splash rail. The price however is WAY high based on what I have seen up here in the great white north (it's snowing as I type this) There is one in eastern Ontario, same boat in similar condition but missing the windshield for $550.00 and it has been listed for months on KIJIJI:
ingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-16-foot-aluminum-boat-550-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ503062872

AS complete as the one near you is I would say up to $1000.00 would be fair to pay considering there is no motor or trailer

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86046

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah there is no way id pay $2000 for that. I dont think I could even do $1000. I offered the guy in Port Orange $500 for the spray painted black little Clipper with 2 engines last night. He said he would get back to me. I dont really care if he does or not. Its pretty funky and says its only 12'.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86065

buguy wrote:

Yeah I am just a bit nervous about a fiberglass boat. Im a new boater, and new to the area. Will be taking it out on the intercoastal and dealing with shallow waters, tides, and clam bottom waters. Need something that could take some abuse if I were to hit bottom now and then.

That's why I included the aluminum boat you posted:
buguy wrote:

daytona.craigslist.org/boa/4110967070.html

But $1200 is high, IMHO, w/out a motor........

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86085

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I agree. And its missing the corners it appears. I found a rough 59 Star craft too. $400 but the motor is froze up, and no trailer.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86369

StevieB wrote:

Go for the Crestliner in Jacksonville. It has great lines and it would be a very easy resto.
Regards,
StevieB

X2!! neatest one of all.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86370

buguy wrote:

I'm not too nervous about the glassers, just not into the old ones so much. I have an old glasser that I can't bear to see go to waste, but just cant seem to get up the desire to do anything with. Even has an older Rude lark 35 hanging off the back. I actually like the first "ugly" one you posted and would be okay with the price. My preference is the long enclosed bows, but all I have in mind for one of those type boats is cruising, not so good for fishing. I do hate to see someone cut on a runabout (probably because I had to repair one that had been chopped. You are better off starting with an open bow if fishing is on your mind.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86371

buguy wrote:

Yeah those deserve a place inside that I cant give them. I have the leads on a couple Feather crafts, and there is one other Clipper here in town, but its rough and no way to verify if they run. Heck I will just post the ad up here for some of you to have a look at. The money is right, but its ugly, trailer is too little, and as I said, cant verify they run (which to me means they dont). Front seat area looks weird to me too. daytona.craigslist.org/boa/4151412353.html

This one, but like I said, it's all in what you have in mind to do with it. Lot of wasted space up front with the long enclosed bow, but it looks cool as a cucumber!

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86374

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah I actually called that guy and offered him $500 for that. He said he wanted to think about it. He finally tecx me back 2 days ago with a counter offer of $600 with only one of the motors. I dont really know what to do now. Without hearing them run, they could be paperweights and I would have been money ahead to buy the nicer clipper that already runs.

I was also contacted the other day about an old 1960 Lone Star. But he is asking $2500 and its pretty rough. Has a bigger Merc (60hp I think, maybe 80) and says it hasnt run for a little while, but he is going to get a battery charger and see if he cant get it to fire up. Have to see how that goes. Id actually prefer a smaller boat though.

And I have a 12' Jon boat, so the runabout will only be a cruiser, no fishing with it for me. I like the enclosed bow, thats 99% of the reason I want one of these. Just something for me and my daughter to go out and look at dolphins, and do some exploring.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86387

Then the closed bow will be perfect. I payed around $500 or so (cant remember exactly) for my Duracraft runabout with a decent little trailer but no motor and it needed tones of work. I paid $600 for a nice running 1988 25hp Johnson with only a pull start that I converted to electric. No windzhield or controls of any kind and a cut up bow. 600 sounds pretty good even if the one motor doesn't run (and likely it will or at least not take much to get it running) those little motors are pretty simple.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86403

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah it doesnt seem like a terrible deal. One of my other concerns is it SAYS its a 12' boat. Id like it to be at least a 14'. Im going to let him sit on it another week I think and offer $600 for it with both engines. Im fairly confident I can make a windshield for it, and since I restore cars for a living, getting it fixed up wont be a big deal. I still need to call about 2 other Feather Crafts I found. They are weird ads I found, so im not super confident they are even real. But one is complete with a huge Evinrude and a trailer asking $1200, the other has a trailer but no engine for $1000.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86436

I made the windshield on my DuraCraft, it turned out pretty good. The hard part was finding vintage brackets that didn't cost an arm and a leg, was getting ready to fab some up when I came across these on Ebay.

Installed on the DC.
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 5 months ago #86462

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice! I would never thought to look for brackets on ebay.

I called about the 2 Feather Crafts, both gone :(

How bout a Montgomery Ward? Doesnt look like a 2k boat though.
daytona.craigslist.org/bod/4198721453.html

Or maybe this Starcraft:
orlando.craigslist.org/boa/4194329784.html

And if wood wasnt such a pain in the butt:
daytona.craigslist.org/bod/4200012266.html

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86548

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, maybe we have a winner here. 1961 Feather craft. Galvinized trailer. Perfect running 55hp Johnson. But I'm not sure about the structure. Looks like the floor and seats aren't right. Or maybe I just haven't seen one like this. All pretty new to me. $2200.
Your thoughts?
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86553

• MarkS
I like it, FWIW. The price is certainly more reasonable. Any more pics?

Mark

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86557

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah a bunch. I posted 2, not sure why only one of them worked.
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86560

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Nudder one.
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86561

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Can't seem to do more than one at a time from my phone.
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86562

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Couple left.
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86564

That poor Feather Craft has been seriously altered. The original seating is missing, the floor is all wrong and the fishing seats just are wrong on so many levels! The transom has been altered to hold a motor that is too big for the boat and may cause you insurance problems when you ask for coverage. The price isn't bad for the combo but as a Feather Craft guy I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole, lots of better originals out there for similar money. Go to feathercraft.net for all the info you could hope for on these fine craft. I have 3 of them and may add a 4th soon
Al

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86565

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah I agree. But I cant find one anywhere near me to save my life. Maybe I should look into shipping options and get one from somewhere else. Also for me, its almost a shame to get a Feather Craft and not have a barrel back. That is what make them so sweet. But I also dont want something too nice because I am going to use this thing. I live in Florida and can use it year round. Also it will have to sit outside, I dont have the garage space for a boat. And to make things worse, I will be using it in salt water.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86596

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
"B" If you are still looking in the Feather Craft Family you might
want to consider the early 60 model SKI - Bo. Should be the 16 ft model & could handle the 55 - 60 hp size of the early 60's.. We had seen a few pop up in Georgia area..Most had paint , but some may have the lapstrake style lines on side.. Could always polish some of the hull.. You are looking for a user rig. $500 - 600 should be a finder / user range ... When restored a FLA seller here
www.feathercraft.net/index.php/classifieds/13-boats/1-1959-feathercraft-ski-bo-with-.html

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86608

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah split I saw that one. I'd prefer a barrel back just because I like the styling. But at this point it doesn't make much difference. In fact I'm wondering if that one I posted pics of could be a Ski-Bo. The lines don't look typical of the other Feather Crafts I've seen.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86822

Buguy,

Good luck on the search. I have a 58 clipper and we have had a lot of fun with it. They have pretty thick aluminum and are very low maintenance. I purchased mine rough and dirty with no motor and put a new 50 hp motor and new trailer under it. I looked at that clipper in Deltona about a year ago. It had been submerged and had multiple pinholes around the transom and the owner never could produce a title that matched the boat. In my opinion if you can find a straight hull with all the hardware for under $1500.00 grab it. Add or subtract for additional or missing hardware. Remember the chances of finding original windshield brackets or seating hardware for an Orlando clipper is pretty tough. Good luck.

Todd
Attachments:

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86823

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Todd. I was thinking about going to look at the one in Deltona, so you saved me a trip. I really should buy that one I posted first. I got him down to 3 grand. Another guy sent me a text and pics on a nice one. He wants 4 grand, and its nice, but he's in Panama (8+ hour drive each way). I may shoot the guy with the first one with the Bucaneer an offer of $2500 in a week or 2 and see if he bites.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86825

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I also found a 52' Clipper and the hull is in nice shape for $500. But no trailer, steering wheel, engine or controls. Thats when I figured im probly just better off buying one complete. I couldnt really repower and trailer for $2000....plus my time.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 4 months ago #86852

I think $2500.00 would be a good deal for both. The trailer and boat are probably worth 2K and the motor is dependent on its running condition.

Re:Help with value of this Clipper 10 years 2 months ago #89871

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well I think I have finally found the right clipper for me. Pretty standard 1960. Unfortunately it doesnt have a vintage engine but that could be added later. Everything is there except for the seat cushions. So thats no big deal. But im wondering if some of you that have them could answer a couple questions for me?
I am in salt water 99% of the time, can these boats handle it if they are rinsed after every use?
And I go to beaches a lot with my 8 year old daugther, sometimes in the cold. How hard is it to climb over the windshield to get to the bow for beaching?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7085 guests and one member online