• Page:

TOPIC: The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home

The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38331

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Finally got back to pick up the newest project. It's a '55 FeatherCraft Deluxe Runabout.

It is far from cherry but should be salvageable and restore worthy enough to be worth the time and effort.

Here she is sitting on the mid-fifties Holsclaw trailer(even has real glass tailight domes) that I have been holding on to for a while just waiting for something appropriate to strap on her.

Several issues I am finding ...things like stupid owner choices to cut a hole in the dash for a radio/cassette deck and a mounted AM antena on the deck, some pretty good dings in the hull and various random holes punched etc.

Many more pics can be found online at the following site:

s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/tmeraw/FeatherCraft/
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38394

Great lines. Best of luck with the resurrection.

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38397

Lots of work, but it can be a beauty. Do you have a compressor and DA sander? You can also order the proper hammers to knock out many of the worst dents. I've found that a DA with 80 grit will remove most of the scratches followed by 220, 320,600 and 1000.

I've used 3M Perfect It rubbing compound to buff out small swirl marks and then Nuvite to finish up.

You may already know all of this, but thought I would respond.

That trailer is the bomb. Good luck

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38401

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the ideas Mickey. No I do not have a compressor nor a DA Sander but will get another DA sander again soon(last one died after many many hours of use.

I figured that there should be a way to hammer out the dents. What to do about some of the many random holes is another issue.

There should be a lot of help out there from those that have walked ahead of me. I just haven't spent much time looking yet.

Have a nice day.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38671

Don't sweat the holes. Large ones can be welded shut and the small ones can be filled with rivets or rivet look-a-likes.
Attachments:

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38672

Tig
Attachments:

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38673

filled
Attachments:

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38675

ground and polished
Attachments:

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #38870

Wow, you have the much sought after front glove box. The panel is pretty bad. If you want to keep it looking the way it did, simply make a cardboard pattern and cut it out of 6061 or 2024 Aluminum. Rivet in place or spot weld in the same manner Otter did. Or make a replacement from Teak as I did. The area where the stern mount was located, needs stop drilled and a scab or flush patch installed. The dent on the port side will take a little skill to remove. Nice boat,,the seat back...I swear you should have to have a special license to buy a sawzall. You get a couple of rednecks together with a case of beer and power tools,,,no good is going to come from it.
Attachments:

Re:The 55 Feathercraft is Finally Home 12 years 8 months ago #39160

i luv feathercrafts. would like to score a 57-58 vagabond with the walk thru front seat. ron
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7075 guests and one member online