• Page:

TOPIC: New Member

New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23160

• Bwana Don
  • Bwana Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I'm a new member, long time lurker. I'm in the middle of a restoration on a 1971 Starcraft Offshore, 18-1/2 footer. It's an open bow aluminum fishing boat that I plan on using on Lake St. Clair. Powered by a mercruiser 3.0 liter and pre alpha outdrive.

I've long admired this site and the vast amount of nkowledge here. I love the boats from the sixties. I feel another project coming on and may need some advice on it. I'd like to try a fiberglassic next, in the 14' range.

I love old outboards too. I picked up a 1955 Johnson 10 horse for a kicker. I wanted something with a little class to hang on the back of my Starcraft.

Cheers,

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23182

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I have a couple Stars. 1973 15'-50 Merc camoed is for waterfowl and the 1967 18'120 IO camoed Holiday is for fishing,waterfowl and beating.Two MFG's are in resto mode.The 1967 16' 65 Westy 65 Merc should be done early this spring. The 1954/55? 15'Cambridge will likely sit untill late summer or fall.In the process of acquiring a period correct Merc.I do have a 1957 10hp Evinrude beauty that has no mate. I just like to look at it now and then.I keep looking at older classics and have to keep myself from buying them since I have no more room and really should finish one or two projects before starting another one.I was looking at a 1969 Glastron Jet Flight on Craigs but it is a 3-4 hour drive.
What type of boat are you thinking about? I did a quick check in the Detroit area[Lake St. Claire you mentioned as your home turf]and saw a beautiful 14' Glastron Jet Flite on there. A lot better looking one than the one I spotted in Binghamton NY.Does not look like much resto would be needed and it is a fast machine with the right color motor hanging on the back.There was also a 1950's 16' Crosby that looks like a prime canditate for some resto love.That one lets you hang the motor of your choice. Which means another search and find expedition. Looking for Fins? Classic lapstrake? Speed Style? Cat? Turn Key? Full resto or small to start out. More info is needed if your fellow Glassics are put in the lookout mode for you.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23187

• Bwana Don
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I don't know what make I want right now. My criteria are as follows;

a) 14 footer
b) closed bow with steering wheel and windshield
c) cheap, fixer upper preferred
d) not too much work, I've never done fiberglass work before
e) not ugly

I see a 1958 Glass Magic in Columbus Ohio, it's 14 foot. I found a Pere Marquette also 14 foot in Ohio.

I'm in the looking process right now. A 50's boat would be cool, small fins though.

Thanks

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23192

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Don
Welcome aboard and good luck with the search.
I am in the Pacific Northwest, so I can't help you much.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23195

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Where do you live, Ohio, Michigan or? City? Checked out the ad. Does not say what model it is ,Skipper or Skimaster? It is hard to say from looking at the Glassic Library if they made two 14' models in 1958. The Pic Ad show two. The spec sheet shows one. The Ski has the fins and def worth the resto if stringers are solid.I like the looks of that ride.
The Pere looks solid but in my opinion not much in the styling dept. Kind of bland from the pics. Again not trying to P-Off anyone just my take.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23197

• Bwana Don
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I live in Detroit, north burbs, near Lake St. Clair.

The Glass Magic's are pretty stylish from what I gather. I agree the PM boat does look a little on the plain side. Nice looking boat but I'd like to make a little more of a statement.

I'm a bit of a novice at the fiberglassics so advice is needed and wanted. I usually don't move too fast. I'll take my time and look around. Two boats is my limit so I want to find something I really like.

thanks

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23199

Welcome to the site, I'm relatively new here myself. Good luck on your fiberglassic search. I'm up in St. Clair, and picked up a 15' boat cheap off CL a couple of years ago. Still working on it, but hopefully it will see the water this spring. Bad time of year to be looking, but it will pick up in a couple of months. If I see any roadside sales I can let you know.

Paul

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23202

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I would try and get more info on the Glass Magic. Pics would help identify the model if it is not listed on the registration. Condition of hull, gel, transom,floor, interior and what is MIA from the boat like hdw and seats. If nothing else you will be getting a little education on what you are and are not looking for.The sellar should not have a problem identifying any known problems or answering your questions.MOST people would rather see the older boats going to somone that is interested in restoring them ,not using them as lawn ornaments.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New Member 13 years 3 months ago #23261

• Bwana Don
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Found another Glass Magic, a 1956 14 foot. Comes with a 35 horse johnson circa 1958. No trailer but guess what, I have a trailer. It is older than than heck but I put new marine hubs and tires on it last summer. It has independent suspension on it, no idea what make it is. Wants $350 for the boat & motor, firm. He's sending me pics.

Problem is I'm short on cash and it's snowing like all get out here. I'll save and wait for the weather to break.

I also emailed on the 58', no answer back yet. Trailer no motor, $200.

The hunt is on.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6926 guests and 2 members online