Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jon Boat

Jon Boat 6 years 10 months ago #131658

I have an old aluminum Jon boat that I've had since I was about 6 or 7 years old. It was made by Barrentine Mfg, Marine Division in Greenwood, Miss. Does anyone know anything about these boats and where does the term, "Jon Boat" come from?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Jon Boat 6 years 10 months ago #131660

Jon Boat 6 years 10 months ago #131661

Thanks, I read that but there seems to be no information about why these boats are known as Jon boats.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Jon Boat 6 years 10 months ago #131664

thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/wi73b.htm

^^^ suggests that the 1st were designed and built by a guy named John, for use in the Ozarks, hece Ozark John boats. Shortened to John boats then again to jonboats/jon boats.

Jon Boat 6 years 10 months ago #131665

Very informative, thank you. Does anyone know of any info out there about the particular Jon boat that I have? Refer to picture in top post. I can't seem to find anything about them.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Jon Boat 6 years 10 months ago #131667

Here are a few pictures of the boat. It is leaning against a wall in our boat house and I couldn't get it out.
We lived in DeFuniak Springs, Fl when I was a young kid, moved there in 1970. We lived on Lake Stanley and our next door neighbor was an elderly woman named Mrs Williams. Mrs Williams owned the Jon boat but she would let me paddle around in it within our little cove on the lake. I loved paddling around in that boat, it was my pirate ship!!! When Mrs Williams passed away, she left the boat to me and I have had it ever since. We eventually moved from DeFuniak Springs and the boat was moved to our family place on Lake Martin and has been in the boat house all these years. My Pawpaw used the boat to check his trout line from time to time and I used a sculler on the boat to explore the shores of the lake when we would visit, still have that sculler. The last time the boat was in the water was when I was playing with a nitro powered R/C boat and it quit on me and I had to paddle out in the Jon boat to get it. Anyhoo, that's the story of my Jon boat.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Jon Boat 6 years 9 months ago #132116

I don't know much about where the name originated from, but wouldn't it be funny if the guy's name was Travis or Frank :dry: Anyway, I am familiar with this style of boat. I remember riding with my dad to pick up a brand new one, and its been siting somewhere around the boat barn or down at the dock ever since. These are actually river boats, Flat bottom for shallow water and a flat nose for easy access from the bank or shoreline. Lightweight and easy to handle, I generally keep it on the dock just because it's easy to throw in when needed.
Attachments:

Jon Boat 6 years 9 months ago #132118

The last time I actually used my Jon boat was a couple of years ago, I was playing with a gas powered R/C boat and it conked out on me. I used the Jon boat to paddle out to get it. Lol.
Attachments:

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt