• Page:

TOPIC: LoneStar malibu 195?

LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 3 weeks ago #130723

• Laker
  • Laker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello all, my first post here. I recently took a Sunday drive into Oklahoma and this tin boat followed me home. I am going to give it a home and feed it regularly with some care and attention, but before I can give it a name, I need to figure out what it is. The guy I bought it from received it from his uncle who bought it new.

The title (yep he had a title) said 1957 Lone-star. But it measures 14.6" in length which fiberglassics library only lists this length in 58.

So i have located the hull ID 3420011, and was hoping someone would help me with the logic.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 3 weeks ago #130725

Hi Laker, nice boat! I remember seeing that on Craigslist. I have the same model. From the pictures on the Glassified's page it does look to be a 1958. Besides the length, another way to tell is by the fins. The later models still have fins but they are flatter and don't have as much vertical as the '58 does.

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3
[Building] 10' Glen-L Squirt

Re:LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 3 weeks ago #130735

• Laker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks amreame, After seeing this on craigslist for more than a month I decided to offer 60%. Did you have to replace the wood in the transom? I will need to do this and don't want to drill any more rivets than i have to.

I just took a closer look at the photo of the hull ID number and it looks like an 8 is leading the number, so 83420011. So I feel pretty good about it being a 58, but what does the rest of the number indicate?

Re:LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 2 weeks ago #130750

Sounds like you got a great deal on it! I haven't tackled the transom yet but it's on my list. I sold the house I had the boat at so I've been converting a different garage to a new work space.

It doesn't look like it will be a tough job. It's nice the rest of the boat is open so rebuilding benches will be easy as well. I think I'm going to have the front bench fold back to meet the rear bench for a sun pad.

I need to repaint as well but that will come later. Keep me updated on your progress!

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3

Re:LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 2 weeks ago #130751

Between the fins, the lower supporting "shelf" the transom ply should be in/on, the rounded hull sides and the corner braces, the Malibu transom ply isnt an easy pull and replace.

I cant remember, does the Malibu also have a transom knee brace connecting the transom to the bottom of the hull?

I wouldnt want to piece in a transom, all in 1 piece of ply is going to require some rivets to be removed and replaced.....

Re:LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 2 weeks ago #130755

• Laker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys, for the information. I am hoping to replace the transom with 2 3/4" plywood pieces laminated together. I would also like to come up with a heavier sleeve that in cases the transom where the motor sets.

There isn't a vertical knee brace that connects to the floor, but there 2 horizontal braces that attach to each side. Actually the transom doesn't go all the way to the floor. It sits on a ledge about half way down.

My current plan is to remove the motor mount sleeve, top rail and bracing from one side. Then if I remove the ledge that the bottom of the transom sits on, I may be able to get new wood in place and slip it up into position.

Sounds so easy, right...
Attachments:

Re:LoneStar malibu 195? 7 years 2 weeks ago #130777

For 59 model they had dropped the spray rail and the transom chine is square, not rounded, so I'd say '58 too.

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132117

• Laker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I ran across this Johnson 35hp motor that I think will work well on the back of the Lone Star. I can't say that I was really in the market to buy a motor yet, but I wanted an electric start and when I got to looking this thing over, I noticed the electrical connection box was larger than most. When I opened it up, it had a voltage regulator inside, that's when I got a big grin on my face and went ahead and bought it. I'm pretty sure the generator was an add-on option that year!!!
Attachments:

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132121

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Wow - what a nice motor! Don't see that condition every day.

Dr.Go!

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132126

Have you had a chance to dig into the transom yet? I finally started on mine this past weekend. It had been replaced (poorly) before so it came out surprisingly easy.
Attachments:

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132133

• Laker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Dr.Go! wrote: Wow - what a nice motor! Don't see that condition every day.

That's why I had to go ahead and buy this one. The guy had it on the back of a restored Speed Queen, but sold the boat separately. He guaranteed it to run well and it came with all control and electrical cables. I probably paid to much for it, but it was one of those "I gotta have this"...

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132134

• Laker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

amreame wrote: Have you had a chance to dig into the transom yet? I finally started on mine this past weekend. It had been replaced (poorly) before so it came out surprisingly easy.

I did start on it, but it isn't completely out yet. But actually, it's the going back in that I am concerned with.

Did you do that rivet work in the bottom?

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132139

Ha! I knew I recognized that outboard. I'm the guy who bought the Speed Queen. I paid too much for the boat too haha. I don't mind paying a premium for quality though.

Regarding the rivets, those had been done before I picked it up. I actually haven't float tested it yet but the guy before me said he'd been out on it and it was dry.
Attachments:

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3

LoneStar malibu 195? 6 years 9 months ago #132159

• Laker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow... that is just way too funny, and to add that we both have Lone Stars that we are working on!!:laugh:

Thanks for sending the pic. I was wondering what that Speed Queen looked like. That is the house I picked the motor up at.

Anyway, I am really happy I got the Johnson, I think it will work out great.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)