Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns.

More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124899

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
The guy I had got the Grumman from called me and said he had a Feather Craft he wanted to sell also. After a bit of haggle'n I couldn't really afford it so I told a Buddy about it and he bought it.
Great boat and we have been running it a lot after some carb work.
Anyway when we picked up the Feather I noticed another one up side down on a trailer in the weeds, asked what it was and he said don't know but ya want it? After clearing the weeds and seeing the finns I replied,,,,,,YA!
after some research and help here I figured out it is a Crestliner Jet Streak. Got it home today along with a very cool trailer that will end up under the Feather.
This is the 1st Jet Streak I have ever seen and I am in love. It is missing all the outside trim and I mean all of it so if any of you guys have any clue on where I might find it please let me know this is one slick little ride and I want to make it right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124901

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice!! good eye to snag that one! good luck on finding hardware. That is way cool fins and lines.

Dr.Go!

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124924

That looks really cool. And you have right Idea.... Buy two, get rid of one,
Buy 3 more get rid of none. What are you up to now in number of boats ?

Re: More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124925

How many more boats until you can blockade the Seneca ?? :)

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re: More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124930

Nice boat, awesome score on a unique tin boat for free!

Is it the 12 or 14ft?

Good luck on your quest for trim. Onky on rare occasions have I seen JetStreak stuff for sale, anywhere

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124941

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It is a cool little hull for sure. I didn't get it free but dam close.
I am going to have to let the Ark Traveler go if anyone is interested.
Hung the power today and let it float after a bit of polishing on a bit of the port Finn and it is going to be a shiner when all done.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124946

Im really liking these tin boats alot better than the fiberglass stuff. Theres been a few cool ones for sale locally, but I havent gotten any of those. Theres 1 local kinda like your finned boat! Its even got a white and silver merc on it. Your boat looks fantastic! I like the tin boats that have the barrel back style, and finns are an added bonus. Long nose and split cockpits are really cool too.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124964

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
cosmic12 wrote:

This is the 1st Jet Streak I have ever seen and I am in love. It is missing all the outside trim and I mean all of it so if any of you guys have any clue on where I might find it please let me know this is one slick little ride and I want to make it right.

Nice Find! I can maybe help with some of that. I have an 850 too and I've made some stuff for it. Tail light lenses:

Capacity tags:

The rubber rub rail on mine is reasonably intact but I'm thinking of having WEFCO make up some. I can provide a windshield template, but it looks like you need the fiberglass base. That'll be the hardest part. Also have the Jetstreak graphic for the dashboard plate if you want to have a decal or paint mask made.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124965

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
RickG wrote:

cosmic12 wrote:

I can maybe help with some of that. I have an 850 too and I've made some stuff for it. Tail light lenses:

Capacity tags:

The rubber rub rail on mine is reasonably intact but I'm thinking of having WEFCO make up some. I can provide a windshield template, but it looks like you need the fiberglass base. That'll be the hardest part.

Please let me know what you have. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124966

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll put some more pics together and shoot you an email later.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124968

Doh, Rick got the capacity tag from me.

When you said trim, I was thinking cast aluminum trim bits that are JetStreak specific.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124974

Hi Mark,
That thing looks fast just sitting there in the water.
looks a whole lot better in the water than on the trailer... which is a great looking TeeNee too !
That is one nice find ! Enjoy the ride !!!

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124978

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, John is my metal tag connection. He worked out getting a bunch of us reproduction Feather Craft tags last year. They came out so nice I went to him for these as well. The shop he deals with does a great job on these and turns them around pretty quickly too.

Email sent...

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124985

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Rick, will be in touch. I want one of those tags ASAP.
Chuck the Tiny isn't mine that went to the Feather Craft part of the wheel'n deal'n because I suddenly find myself cash poor. Gotta get back to work on the cars and that's why the Arkansas Traveler is for sale. Hate to part with it but something has to go.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124990

I'll email you some samples later today of the Crestliner tags.

Pantone #200 is a brighter red then what Rick posted, and I think its what he thought close to the original red color. He wanted Pantone #202, a darker red, IIRC.

You'll need to figure out what plant you want listed on the plate. I think there is a choice of 3.

Rick didnt want them, but I can also get the plate w 4 1/8in mounting holes in the corners.

I prefer the look of the engraved data, like what Rick posted, but the Ser# and Max hp data can be printed in black instead. IMO, engraved mimics the original stamped plate look better. The Ser# and HP fields can also be left blank, and stamped by you when you get it.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124998

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks John. I sent Mark the same "ABCD" choice pic that I sent you.

Mark, if you're a stickler for original appearance, the factory version of that on my boat has square corners. Since it'll be attached with HD double stick tape, I figured the radiused corners would be less likely to catch on stuff. I think square corners are another option you can pick though.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #124999

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not really worried about perfect orig seeing that I will probly never find the rest of the stuff and will have to wing it anyway.
The real problem now is I have no paper work at all besides a receipt form the guy I bought it from and he said he never got anything but a cash receipt same as me when his Dad bought it at the Clayton boat show auction over a year ago. All I can find is a number on the engine mt #J195714CL and I am fairly sure it is not a 1957, from what I have found they were made 58/59. Anyone know for sure?
Also does anyone know if there is or was supposed to be a cast piece on the front of the Finn by the windshield corners?

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125002

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, they were only made for those two years. Look for the serial number on the starboard side, a couple inches below the rub rail (...or where it would be), and about 3' from the bow. Your boat looks to me to be a 14 footer so it'll probably be '850-something'. The 15 footers were really closer to 14' long, but were a bit beamier with more freeboard. Those serials start with '752-'. If there's a H in it, your boat was made in the Virginia plant, otherwise in Minnesota.

There's no cast part at the fin-windshield joint. The windshield base is a fiberglass part. The transition between it and the fins looks like this:

This joint was originally covered with an 'H' shaped rubber extrusion. Mine's missing it in the pic.

Like I said, your boat is a nice clean example with few if any extra holes. The Attwood deck and lighting hardware is findable if you're patient and persistent. The only really unobtainable part is that windshield base. I've thought about splashing a copy of mine over the winter. Probably a reasonable facsimile could be laminated up from wood too. Whatever you decide, I'd be happy to provide photos and measurements.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125008

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rick, that picture helps a lot. I was thinking of making something along those lines to hold a short dark smoked lexan unit more like a air dam but that section is real close to my thinking or just end the finn there with some kind of billit machined fake louvers looking cap
I don't want a full windshield.
I did find numbers where you said, odd place for them LOL.
850-17587 is all that is on it.
Oh, holes????? how bout 68 of them on the deck from the dash forward.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125025

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow... that is quite a few holes. That's the problem with aluminum boats... it's just too easy to make holes in them. You've got your work cut out for you then. Your serial number is the lowest of the MN Jetstreaks listed in the registry. Can't say for certain but I suppose it could be a '58.

I like your idea of a short windshield. The original was only 12", but maybe half that would look pretty cool, and not be too difficult to form. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125029

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lowest? maybe a 58? confuzzed. doesn't the 58 in the HIN mean its a 58?

the # on the transom says 57. what in hell have I got?

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125030

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not sure what the number you found on the transom is. It's too short to be a real HIN. Maybe a State assigned number that was applied by a PO when registering? Some States assign numbers to boats made before HINs came into play. In any case, Crestliner didn't conveniently encode the date of manufacture in the serial like some companies did. I seem to recall reading that the records from the Little Falls plant were destroyed in a fire at some point, so there's some doubt about when ranges of serials were made. Jetstreaks were only offered in '58 and '59. Possibly some very early examples may have been produced in late 1957 for sale as '58 models. These very early boats were said to have the bow chocks mounted further aft, nearer the windshield. The position of the chock holes in your deck suggest that it's not one of those.

Here's the list I was referring to: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TgviP2ie3xuGy0brQbc05cGVhdaXwAdUrwozOOy8P30/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Your number is the lowest of the 850's from MN, so I'm making a WAG that it might be a '58. Gotta love a good mystery. :)

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125036

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I went there and registered but haven't been confirmed yet.
I saw a couple 1515's, seems they are lower than mine.
Not real sure about the bow chock, there are holes way back but who knows with all of them that are in it.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125037

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, I should have clarified... the '1515H' serial was made in another plant that used mostly 3 and 4 digit serials. Minnesota built 850's like yours had 5 digit numbers. I missed the one at the top, which is lower than yours. I'd expect that the serials were assigned over the entire product range rather than by model, so the only way to know for sure would be to see where yours is in relation to one of a known year.

I'd be willing to bet that these are the holes where your bow chocks were originally...

The forward placement makes me think that it's not a real early example.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125040

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, I thought you ment the center chock and I never thought of where the side guides were. I stand corrected. ;)

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125041

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I know these were rated for 35hp and the 15's were at 60. What is anyones thoughts on putting a later model 60/70 on it with a Alum jack plate and added knee brace's to the transom inside?
I have a need for speed :dry:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125043

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd expect it to be just this side of terrifying with that 500 on it. ;) It's a really small 14 footer.

The factory motor mount had a 1/4" thick aluminum plate in the center for reinforcement, and even then seems pretty marginal for 35HP. I'd be a little nervous with 50HP without the plate. Really gorgeous chunk of mahogany though.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125045

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Terrifying??? really? I have driven a couple Hydro Streams and they didn't scare me,LOL even had a old Allison with 110hp that ran about 6" of hull at full tits. LOL
Adjustable jack plate and trim might help.
Food for thought though.
A quick line drawing of wind screen/ stripe idea. Stripe to be same color as seats and the rest polished as a mirror.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125046

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
cosmic12 wrote:

Terrifying??? really? I have driven a couple Hydro Streams and they didn't scare me,LOL even had a old Allison with 110hp that ran about 6" of hull at full tits. LOL

Yep... I might be getting a little timid as I get older. There was a time when I would have thought that was a fine idea though. We were having a discussion on that other site where I was advocating installing a 65HP Harley powered jet drive in one, so my judgement is probably suspect. :unsure:

I like the look of the sketch. The low profile windshield and stripe seems to call for a lower profile motor. What were you thinking of, one of the bigger 2 cyl. OMCs? Is that 500 still for sale then?

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125052

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The Jetstreak is a cool looking boat but I'm struck by a lack of upper transom support for the outboard. Looks to be highly leveraged and prone to fatigue.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125057

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes thinking Johnny or Rude. These Mercs are a bit to finiky for me.
It might be 4-sale not exactly sure yet.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125058

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
VinTinFan wrote:

The Jetstreak is a cool looking boat but I'm struck by a lack of upper transom support for the outboard. Looks to be highly leveraged and prone to fatigue.

I agree and that is why I am thinking Alum. knee braces inside and a Alum Jack/set back outside.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125259

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Spent the day at the Clayton boat show yesterday and found some hardware in the flea market I am thinking will work on the Streak.
The light might be a bit big but I really like it. Couldn't find much if anything like the orig. stuff and the parts I got are in great shape and kinda fit the Jet theme I think. I also got the 500 fired yesterday, runs good but needs some carb work I think.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125263

Finally emailed you the info Cosmic. Sorry for delay.
I like the side cleats and light, but the bow handle and center cleat do look BIG on it, IMO.

As vintage boats were rigged by the dealer, not Crestliner, yep, use what YOU like.

Good luck.

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125269

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The bow handle looks big in the photo, but I'm pretty sure it's the original type. I believe that Jetstreaks, unlike some other aluminum boats of that era, were all fitted with Attwood hardware from the factory, rather than fitted out by the dealers. The steering wheel trim rings were re-branded to Crestliner. There was no mooring bitt, as the bow light was designed to serve that purpose. I imagine lots of them broke as a result of being used that way though.

I do have a set of these bow chocks that I won't need, if you want them. They'd fill a few more holes. :)
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125276

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
JB, I got the e-mail thanks I will be in touch.
Rick, I have a set of those cleats but just really liked the looks of these, kinda Jet looking.
I am thinking of not putting the handle on the bow and moving everything else forward, I will get some pics later as I have been working on getting the 50 running and trying to figure out the steering. I wanted to do a modern single cable rotary but no way to get it to the engine without cutting a hole in the finn :ohmy:d that ain't happening.
Rick can ya post a pic of yours?

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125278

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
My steering setup is pretty typical of these...

If you decide not to use the bow handle, I might be interested. The chrome looks better than mine.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125280

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My steering sofar. I don't have those eyes on the finns and with this motor I can't seem to get a good angle to keep the cables from chafing on the finn. And remember its just a mock up.LOL
Also a shot without the handle and everything moved forward.
Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125303

• RickG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm kinda surprised that the angles aren't working out for you. I thought I'd need to go to a steering bar like that when I switched over to the Merc 300, but that'd mean that the cables would need to come off the bottom of the steering drum. Already kind of tight for leg room under there without that. As it turned out the geometry to the front of the motor works out. I just need to trim the long bracket some and move the pulley attachment points back a bit. All the pics of 4 cyl. Mercs on these I've seen seem to work the same way, with a close to the mounting hole bracket.

Not mine, but the best example I have handy. Looks like one of the OMC type brackets turned 90 degrees. Something similar should be easy to fabricate.

Attachments:

Re:More Tin followed me home again!! With Finns. 7 years 7 months ago #125459

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh man I might have had a idea last night that could get me in a lot of trouble. I hate it when that dim bulb goes off in my head>
Instead of trying to put some over sized outboard on it how about a jet or 2? Find a wrecked Sea Doo speedster for all the rigging and make one very cool inboard.
Thoughts?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)